Any thoughts on why I'm getting no interest?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
probably the price/age, you can now pick up 10 plate C350 CDI's on the auto trader for around £8500.

To be blunt - it's the price. There's lots of CLK320 CDIs and not many much more expensive ones than yours. People would rather buy from a dealer at the same sort of money, I reckon it needs to be £1k or so cheaper for a private sale. £5995 and see how you go?

It's a nice looking car but it's ten years old and approaching the 100k mark, these sorts of cars fall in to no mans land - people want cheaper cars or new/nearly new ones, other than enthusiasts who'd probably be looking at AMGs/cabriolets etc. In other words it needs to look like an attractive proposition and that probably comes down to the balance of condition/price etc.

The advert is very nice but I would thin it out a bit, stick to the main bulletpoints and make it more concise/shorter. People only need the key details to decide if they're interested in not IMHO.

Good luck with the sale :cool:

Try Gumtree. I've sold a couple of cars there with great success - and it's free if you don't go for the extras. Means you can take off the selling price what Ebay would have charged you and still have the same money. Oh, and Gumtree is owned by Ebay.

Ok guys thanks. Iv always thought more information was better rather than a short advert?

Price wise yes I see what you say but it's exceptionally clean and would probably take £6k for a sale which isn't too high in my opinion. With it being a rare colour as well I'd have thought it appealed more than the common silver of black.

I may end up keeping it another six months then try again, get my money's worth so to speak. I keep forgetting it's almost ten years old, it certainly doesn't drive like that or lookit.

Way to pricey, knock at least £1500 off... I know its in good nick but not worth that much over the rest...

It is a bit on the high side.. as many others say "Knock a grand off it and see how you go" I got mine for 3995 and it has FSH Merc and less miles, and the irony is it came from your neck of the woods too.. I'd hold fire a little and have some fun, as the market is dead out there and most people are still recovering from Xmas so no spare spend.. wait until the end of March and try again.

Yeah I'll just keep it and enjoy it. It's a super car and to be fair I have no real reason to sell it..

It may be the channel - I may be old school but there still may be a feeling amongst many that eBay is a great place to offload junk.
Autotrader may be perceived to have a better reputation and get you the sale?

People will always look at the prices of other vehicles at the same spec, and look at prices accordingly, it's just the way it is, if your vehicle is at the top end of the price bracket, only someone who really knows a good car will take it, if you want a quick sale then sell it at a lower price, if you don't then leave it as is and enjoy. If you get a genuine buyer, then good, if not! nothing lost.

People will always look at the prices of other vehicles at the same spec, and look at prices accordingly, it's just the way it is, if your vehicle is at the top end of the price bracket, only someone who really knows a good car will take it, if you want a quick sale then sell it at a lower price, if you don't then leave it as is and enjoy. If you get a genuine buyer, then good, if not! nothing lost.

Very true. As Said I don't really have a genuine reason to sell, it's a great car and I'm not looking to sell it on the cheap. I'll probably keep her another 6-12 months and get my use out of her.

Just keep her listed then, and use her as you go, if she goes she goes! :)

That's a lovely looking car.
I never did see the attraction of using Diesel engines in this kind of motor though.... first thing that puts me off when buying.

I would keep it listed for the duration. If it sells, bonus. If it doesn't, keep hold of it and enjoy it for a while longer.

That's a lovely looking car.
I never did see the attraction of using Diesel engines in this kind of motor though.... first thing that puts me off when buying.

I would keep it listed for the duration. If it sells, bonus. If it doesn't, keep hold of it and enjoy it for a while longer.

Totally agree, I always thought the same. But the CLK280 performance wise isn't as quick and nowhere near as frugal and I doubt the CLK350 is much better...

It sounds like a diesel, let's not get away from the fact but wow it drives so nice..

The CLK350 definitely isn't frugal, and unless you really poke it there's not much noise from it either... but with the ESP off it will spin the tyres up from a standing start so it's clearly got some torque.

Time of year is an issue....

Others will disagree, but January / February isn't a natural time to be trying to buy a car privately. It's cold, dark, wet, and money's tight after Christmas.

The phone will ring more once the clocks go forward. There's more time to go and look at cars in the daylight, and the limitations /wear and tear of their current cars are more obvious.

The downside is that prices may soften as a result of the March new car registrations, but that's more of a problem at twice your price.

Oh and "a lot of car for the money" never works. The only question is how your price compares to the price that similar cars actually go for - and remember that cars always go for less than they're advertised.

Last edited:
I remember doing a traffic light grand prix against a CLK350 in my Saab Aero 9-5 HOT of the time.

CLK350 pulled away relatively easily and the Saab wasn't slow (250BHP / 350NM) although the Saab isn't notorious for a standing start - more midrange.

I don't think the advert has to much waffle. It answers any questions some may ask, alleviates those humdrum timewaster phone calls.

I remember doing a traffic light grand prix against a CLK350 in my Saab Aero 9-5 HOT of the time.

CLK350 pulled away relatively easily and the Saab wasn't slow (250BHP / 350NM) although the Saab isn't notorious for a standing start - more midrange.

That's true, I expect it would have destroyed it 70-90 on the Autobahn. I had a loan of one for a few weeks and it had insane acceleration once on the move, I seem to remember reading somewhere that they were quicker in the mid-range than the contemporary 911 Turbo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom