Any tips on SIM free phone sources?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrahamC230K

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A3 & S4 quattro
Has anyone any tips on good sources for effectively sim free mobile phones - whether that be literally sim free phones or unlocked PAYG phones?

The PAYG deals seem to to be the cheapest (through being subsidised I think) where you can buy them not locked to sim or provider.

The best sim free prices I have seen are direct from the manufacture ie Nokia or Sony Ericsson. Sites I thought might be competitive like Expansys aren't. Which leaves me wondering if there are source I don't know about as I think it is unual for the manufacturers or the high street chains to be the cheapest source!

Last edited:
Cant you just buy a PAYG and then take it to your local phone shop and get it unlocked for a fiver?

As it only costs £5 -£10 to get them unlocked does it matter ? Lots of clever back street boys know how to unlock em.

I bought the Mrs. a new mobile (Nokia 6303) for Christmas.

Nokia price - £125
Expansys price - £150
Mobile Fun price - £105

All presumably plus P+P.

Eventually bought one on the high street (Nokia shop, think they are owned by CPW) for £89.95, including a Voda SIM with £10 credit. Handset is unbranded and not network locked. Throw SIM away, slot her old one in, job's a good 'un. ;)

Cheers,

Gaz

Cheers all, so seems I am not missing a trick after all.

Has anyone any tips on good sources for effectively sim free mobile phones - whether that be literally sim free phones or unlocked PAYG phones?

The PAYG deals seem to to be the cheapest (through being subsidised I think) where you can buy them not locked to sim or provider.

The best sim free prices I have seen are direct from the manufacture ie Nokia or Sony Ericsson. Sites I thought might be competitive like Expansys aren't. Which leaves me wondering if there are source I don't know about as I think it is unual for the manufacturers or the high street chains to be the cheapest source!

just a long shot, if you are going to the netherlands, media markt are competitive for sim free phones, much less than uk, even allowing for euro.

Carphone warehouse don't lock phones to a newtork, even PAYG ones. There usually worth a look but you may have to but a top up also....

Carphone warehouse don't lock phones to a newtork, even PAYG ones. There usually worth a look but you may have to but a top up also....

Yes I have found that and a good tip, although it does vary from store to store. Some maintain it is company policy for them to lock to the PAYG sim! While other stores openly confirm it's unlocked.

Never had a CPW phone locked, but maybe some stores do?

Just remembered I've also bought sim-free from play.com recently too, maybe worth a look.

thanks all.

What got me thinking was some comparisons I made, sites like play.com etc were more expensive than buying sim free from SE or Nokia!

CPW buy simfree stock and just give you the relevant payg sim which is why their payg phones are unlocked. When you buy from argos etc they are the network branded stock and locked to the network they come on. Prepaymania also supply simfree stock for payg phones.

While most network branded payg phones can be unlocked cheaply you are still stuck with the branded software unless you also get the phone flashed which will invalidate the warrranty.

Last edited:
E bay!!

they all come from China anyway. even the pukka ones!
the fakes must come from the same factory.

Yes I have found that and a good tip, although it does vary from store to store. Some maintain it is company policy for them to lock to the PAYG sim! While other stores openly confirm it's unlocked.

All stores have the same stock, but varying levels of truthiness about the SIM locks.

The PAYG handsets are subsidised by the networks on the basis that they'll be activated on that network (and then make revenue). Buying one and not using the included SIM costs CPW margin so some staff will be evasive when they know you want an unlocked model - becuase they know why you want it..

Some stock is network locked by the way, rare but it happens. Locked stock is identifiable by the network name appearing in the stock code, which the salesdroid can tell you.

Or so I've heard..

tesco are selling these mini phones called bluechip vx1 for about £20. I think they are really ace!

All phones sold on the Asda network are unlocked.

Alan

Thanks and having taken a look they are actively promoting the fact they are unlocked on their website, good on them. Prices varying from really very good to a bit wayward for the odd model.

Keep these coming guys, some good responses so far.

T-Mobile have never locked their phones, ive bought 4 in the past for family members, all unlocked.

As said, CPW never in my experience lock their handsets and also sell the generic (no branding versions) - Also, CPW have a 1 week lag on other phone shops meaning any deals that have passed CPW will still do the same deal for a week after.

If you get a Nokia, its very easy to flash them & unlock the firware yourself.

T-Mobile have never locked their phones

I can distinctly recall that T-Mobile used to lock their phones - along with Orange. It seemed that the 1800MHz only operators were more precious about their phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom