Any TV engineers out there who can help?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimti

Car
VW Golf
Remote control extender problem

this is my wiring diagram, the problem I have is the remote control extender doesn't seem to work,:doh: have I done something wrong? :dk:
It was working, but I had a problem with the TV pictures and had to replace an old amplifier, the one connected to the sat system, since I changed it the remote control will not work from the bedroom.
I have tried bypassing the amp near sat system as it doesn't have an integrated digital by-pass but that made no difference, I changed the remote control extender as well, but it still didn't work.
Any advice would be gratefully received

Untitled.jpg

Nothing seems to be plugged into the mains.

I hope this helps.

:p

Is this a SKY system you have? Take the 3 way aerial amp out and have the rf2 output from the sky box going directly into the input of new 4 way aerial amp. Use the rf1 output on the sky box for the main tv. Make sure the rf2 power on the sky box is turned on in the engineer menu. In the bedroom just use a sky eye / magic eye to control the box.

Last edited:
I do have a sky box, and have rerouted the wires, but can't find the Engineer menu.
it is a very old sky box, I don't know if that would make any difference

newdiagram.jpg

Hi.

Does the red led light up on the extender? If not then plug it directly in to the sky box RF2 output. If it still doesn't light then you need to enter the engineer menu, as said earlier. (SERVICES, 4, 0, 1, SELECT.) and switch on the rf2 out power. If it's already on but the lamp doesn't light when plugged directly into the sky box then one of them is faulty. Try a friend's extender if possible. See how you get on with that lot and report back.

I do get a red light on the extender when using the remote, but nothing appears to happen, I have 2 spare ones and have tried them all.
I will have to look at it in the morning as Mrs Jimti has control of the TV now, thanks for your help so far..

Have you turned the power to the RF output on?

On my services menu I press 4 then there are only 8 menu's to select
1, picture settings
2, Sound settings
3, Language & subtitles
4, Add channels
5, System details
6, Signal test
7,System test
8, System health check

Like I said it is a very old sky player :eek:

I think the rf output is ok though, as I can receive a picture through it

Looks like the menu is OK then. Try the extender (Mrs Jimti permitting!) directly in the rf2 socket of the sky box. Make sure you cover the front of the sky box so it doesn't pick up your remote. See if the remote works on the extender now. If so then you have a wiring issue between the rf2 socket and your upstairs tv. Try the extender on the end of the cable before it enters the amp. This will tell you if that cable is ok. Process of illimination. What I do recommend though is that ALL coax plugs are of the screw connection type and not the normal ones where the centre core is just poked down the hollow pin. With RF signals this is OK as perfect electrical contact isn't necessary. But the extender must have perfect connections back to the sky box. Make sure all plugs are properly fitted and that none of the screening braid is shorting to the centre pin. High Quality Coax Plug : Coax TV Aerial Connectors : Maplin

I think the rf output is ok though, as I can receive a picture through it

Receiving the picture through rf2 does not mean it's turned on.

It will always pass an rf signal but you have to turn on the 12v required for the tv link extender to work, If the led on the extender is lit then the supply must be on.

thanks for the advise, I will have to go through it all in the morning when Mrs Jimti is away spending my money at the boot fair.:rolleyes:
As luck would have it Maplins have just this weekend opened up a new store in Canterbury, I just needed an excuse to go down there :thumb:
I will change the plugs anyway, we have an appalling signal for terrestrial TV where I am and SWMBO says it has to be sorted tomorrow or she will get in someone man enough for the job:crazy::eek:

tvlink-test.gif

FAULT FINDING
Most faults are caused by poorly fitted connectors causing short circuits, not allowing the power to be passed through the coax cable to the TV Link.
IF THE LINK DOESN'T LIGHT UP - try plugging the link directly in the RF2 socket of your digibox. If it lights up there but not on the end of the cable you have run then the fault must lie in the connectors or cable.
IF THE LINK LIGHTS UP BUT WON'T CONTROL THE DIGIBOX FUNCTIONS - Try a short length of cable from the RF2 socket on your digibox and try the TV Link functions from there, if it doesn't work by doing this then the TV Link could be at fault.

when I connnect the extender into RF2 there is no light, but when I add the coax from the 4 way box it has power, but still doesnt work,:crazy:I have 3 extenders and have tried them all, it makes no difference. I suspect a fault is with the sky box.:dk: I did find my way into the engineer menu and the RF2 power was on.
I also tried it on the FR1 but that made no difference either :wallbash:
I am better at plumbing, at least I can see where the water is going when I go wrong there:eek:

If it doesnt light when plugged directly into the rf2 output on the sky box and the rf2 output power is on in the menu then the box is faulty so it is not going to work. It wont light when plugged into the rf1 that is normal and you cant use the rf1 output for magic eye / sky eye.

that's what I guessed,:(
It might be a good time to upgrade to HD me thinks.:rock:

If it doesnt light when plugged directly into the rf2 output on the sky box and the rf2 output power is on in the menu then the box is faulty so it is not going to work. It wont light when plugged into the rf1 that is normal and you cant use the rf1 output for magic eye / sky eye.

Totally agree. However, sometimes the process of connecting, disconnecting, connecting the RF2 cables etc can sometimes "trip out" the electronics (depends which box you have. Amstrad are notorious for this). In actual fact you should always switch off the power to RF2 when unplugging cables etc.
In your case, I would try switching the RF2 power off, wait a few mins and turning it back on again as this will reset it if it's tripped. If the extender (connected directly to RF2) still fails to light then it's definitely the box at fault.

that's what I guessed,:(
It might be a good time to upgrade to HD me thinks.:rock:

HD isn't all it's cracked up to be. For a start SKY don't get ITV HD as they only support Freesat and it'll cost you an extra £10 per month. Look carefully at what channels you get for your money and see if you would really watch them. If you want movies then fine, but bare in mind that most movies shown are not even filmed in HD. If you have an old digibox then you'll be amazed how much better the new Pace boxes are and you can pick them up for £50 new on Ebay. In fact I think Sky would sell you one for that although will charge for "installing" it!
If you don't want Movies and/or sports then Freesat HD is your best option. One off cost of box and no monthly fee. Just connect to your existing dish, dead easy!

Just my opinions I know others will differ.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom