Any "unknown" brand parts worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

golden1245

Car
1999 C230K Sport
I'm overhauling certain bits of my car and I prefer to keep the parts cheap, I don't plan on having the car for more than another 50k miles.

I'm planning on purchasing, transmission mount, engine mounts and rear subframe mounts, front and rear lca bushings, fuel filter, and transmission flex discs.

I'm in the States, and I found a site that sells parts for my car at very competitive prices except most of the brands i've never heard of.

This site supplies mainly URO, Meyle, Karlyn, Hengst (fuel filter) and Corteco parts. Are these parts quality, will last for about 50k miles? or should I just go for the more well known brands?

Thank you in advance for everyone for reading :)

Try to get LEMFORDER mounts or suspension parts-they are OEM to MERC :thumb: The cost of the parts is insignificant compared to the expense / work /hassle of installing them.

Read the first post on this thread which may be of use:

500E / E500 Parts Vendor Quality List

While that list is quite comprehensive by nature it is a reflection of a very limited no of MB owners. In addition certain brands or "reboxers"as the list poster describes them may well source locally so that European versions of the product could be sourced in France/Germany and US versions sourced in the US or because its part of the " Pacific Rim" somewhere in the Far East. What is of greater concern is the proliferation of counterfeit parts mainly from China which come in seemingly authentic packaging but contain inferior quality copy parts. This is far more common since manufacture of the genuine parts [ albeit with adequate brand quality control] has been outsourced to China where it seems all to easy to produce counterfeit copies of the real thing in a factory just down the road from the real thing! Your only safeguard is to buy from a reputable stockist / factor but sometimes even they get caught out as the big criminal cartels find more ingenious ways to inject their crap products into the legitimate supply chain.:(

I buy non-MB service items from reputable manufacturers, e.g. Bosch, Mahle, etc.

But I do so for convenience reasons - they are easier to order online than the MB parts.

As for economy - the difference in price can be very small because original MB service items are in fact not that expensive, and if you take into account that the items are low-cost to begin with the actual saving isn't that much really - especially given that some service items need replacing only every 4 years (air filter, fuel filter).

oh thanks for the link nullogik and everyone else for their responses. It turns out that URO parts are absolute garbage, which is what this website mainly supplies. I'll just pay the $10-15 premium for the higher quality parts

I'd sure like to know some of the good brand name alternatives.
It's surprising how much cheaper (overall) a part can be to someone like me who lives on an island and pays an extortionate amount of freight, or have to travel into town to pick up parts, which is a $10 to town anyway.
My preference is to order online, from anywhere in the world and receive the parts in my letterbox. very convenient.

So any help, especially with reference to W124 is most grateful.

Cheers
Richard

Your best bet for W124 bits from the " antipodes" is probably direct from German motor factor suppliers [ NOT PRIVATE SELLERS] who often advertise on EBAY.DE if they ship internationally?? Otherwise maybe the USA But again beware of cheap Chinese knock offs!

Sadly - I agree with Grober.
I've had some bad experiences with parts that are poorly-manufactured and sometimes down-right dangerous.
Cheap can turn out to be very expensive ....
1. If they are unsafe
2. If they fail prematurely and you incur further expense in time and money doing the job twice.

i know this thread is old but from that op's list at the start - i can say from my experience that corteco parts (usually seals etc) are really good quality and havent given me any issues yet. Hope this is of help.

i know this thread is old but from that op's list at the start - i can say from my experience that corteco parts (usually seals etc) are really good quality and havent given me any issues yet. Hope this is of help.

i have the corteco harmonic balancer on my crankshaft on my c43 it works great till now had it swapped 2 years ago i think.

there's only 1 rule: always buy good branded parts if you're goin' to keep the car for long teim

any one know for a exhaust manifold clk 230 2001

hows this?

OE Quality Exhaust Manifold Mercedes
Part No: 713220130
Web Price: £443.94
Special Order Only
713220130.jpg

OE Quality Manifold Gasket
Part No.: 372220130
Web Price: £10.74
Forum Price: £7.52
OE Quality - Euro Car Parts UK