Any vintage cycle fans out there?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Druk

Gone but not forgotten - RIP
Car
2011 S212 E350CDi. 1981 R107 300TurboDiesel.
My latest project.

Flying Scot - Frame D1

anybody got any 50's or 60's Campagnolo or Simplex bits and pieces kicking about in the hut they could spare. (for a fair price :) )

Beautiful frame Derek.

Sadly no vintage bits - I reckon eBay may be your friend here but you may have to dig deep.

What colour ? Powder blue with a white banding ? Classic white with red lettering ?

I remember buying my first custom frame from Rattray's on Alex. Parade all those years ago and being torn between a Flying Scot and a Mercian Road frame (not the one with the curvy rear triangle). The Mercian won the day in the end ...

You opting for the flatter form road bars too ?

Just re-creating my yoof Steve. I had a Rattray Ventoux when I was at school. I've got quite a few bits already, some of them from the Bay and some from good friends. I need 27 x 1 1/4" rims Boa's or Asp's maybe? I saw a nice set of bars yesterday on a Holdsworth, described as 'south of France' type. Shallow bend splayed outwards slightly at the bottom.
The frame's leaving here tomorrow for Jacksons in Leeds for a total refurb. Oxford Blue with white bands.

Derek

If it is any help - contact Bilsland cycles in Glasgow's Saltmarket.

I know that the current owner is the son of the great Billy Bilsland. That shop, and Rattray's, used to take just about all of my savings in my youth. If anywhere has a stock of vintage Campag, it might just be there ...

Agree with your choice of colour ;) Brooks saddle perchance ? Proper rivetted mind ...

Which reminds me ...

I kicked myself after we moved 8 years ago as I forgot to take an old frame from my loft.

It was a Pinarello titanium that I managed to crack the rear stay. The repair cost at the time was abhorrent as it had to return to Italy so I tucked it away 'for laters'

God only knows what that frame is now worth ...

Fully restored Choppers are worth a fortune now. Good choice.

Got two Brooks. One a B17 with the copper rivets. The other tan with steel rivets. The black one is nice and soft but the tan one is as hard as a......

Oh! my aching b_m. :(

I wanted Saltire Blue but Jacksons have a limited range. Oxford's pretty close.

Last edited:
Saddle soap onto the tan saddle then. Heat it with a hairdryer first ;) (hint - from the underside. Keeps the saddle supple and the surface looking sweet !)

You up for the proposed Millport jamboree ? No racing, just a canter round the island ... even Mrs. LTD is up for it !

Anyone remember the catalogue from Kitchings of Harrogate ?

Just re-creating my yoof ...

Sh!t - you're pushin' it...:eek:

Give Alex Brown a bell on 01368 850226 or @ [email protected]

What he does not know is not worth knowing - Runs the cycle museum at Drumlanrig and is a fanatic about anything with wheels. Also a luminary at the Bo'ness hill climbs.

Mention me (and my Father, Meredith) and I'm sure he will have good advice. Try and wangle a visit down to Stenton to see his goodies.

Transport of delights - The Scotsman

View attachment 25161

Alex on left, old man in middle.

Last edited:
Sh!t - you're pushin' it...:eek:

Never being one to miss a photo op, I'll give you three guesses.....

speedo001-1.jpg

Probably circa 1963 in Sydney Terrace, Craigentinny.

That's a nice bike, especially for 1963!!!

You up for the proposed Millport jamboree ? No racing, just a canter round the island ... even Mrs. LTD is up for it !

I must have missed this - is there a proposed date ?

Sadly , my circa 1970 Raleigh Riviera went to the tip a couple of years ago :(

Never being one to miss a photo op, I'll give you three guesses.....

speedo001-1.jpg

For the early 1960's that looks like a serious machine.

Don't have anything that old, but still have my Carlton 'International' from the late '60's. I managed my first 50 mile ride on that bike (aged 12) and that seemed like a long distance at the time.

Boy, he must have had a hard paper round... :p
speedo001-2.jpg

Bike reminds me of the diehards who peched their way to the top of Mont Ventoux (1910m) with their tongues caught in the spokes...
33 Bedoin - 14 Sept (Medium).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom