Any Vito owners on here with all terrain tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy!

Car
S212 E250 Sport Estate
After me swearing to never own another OM651 engined car I bought a Vito 116 sport dualiner to replace our old freelander family activity/farm car while we look for a decent 4x4 option.

I would like to fit some all terrain tyres, stock tyres are 22/55/R17 101H so quite a high load factor. Only tyre I have found so far is a Cooper Discoverer ATT. But if I go up to 225/60/R17 it opens up some more options so I am wondering 2 things:

1. Will a 225/60/R17 fit (I am not averse to fitting a 2" lift kit to get more clearance for field use)
2. Anyone dropped to 16" wheels and got some success with AT tyres? - I have seen some claiming to be Vito 16" but worried they might be car ones and not up to the load? How to check? Not looking to go aftermarket as I wont be doing any other "swamper mods" so it will probably look silly.

After me swearing to never own another OM651 engined car I bought a Vito 116 sport dualiner to replace our old freelander family activity/farm car while we look for a decent 4x4 option.

I would like to fit some all terrain tyres, stock tyres are 22/55/R17 101H so quite a high load factor. Only tyre I have found so far is a Cooper Discoverer ATT. But if I go up to 225/60/R17 it opens up some more options so I am wondering 2 things:

1. Will a 225/60/R17 fit (I am not averse to fitting a 2" lift kit to get more clearance for field use)
2. Anyone dropped to 16" wheels and got some success with AT tyres? - I have seen some claiming to be Vito 16" but worried they might be car ones and not up to the load? How to check? Not looking to go aftermarket as I wont be doing any other "swamper mods" so it will probably look silly.
Please forgive my grammer and spelling as i am dyslexic just be thankfull its not in hieroglyphics ha ha .

I have a 2005 vito lwb duelliner and I have 225/65/r17 106h xl ax7 made by Avon and my van is never under load. You could check avon tyres out they have a little range of all terrain tyres they may have some for 16 inch wheels. The 2 rear ones cost me £135 each from Mr tyre. The front one get fitted thursday. They grip well and you don't notice any more noise 74db or 72db I can't recall which one.
The 17inches definitely look better even if there is a 6% speed difference from stock wheels. 50 on stock wheels 53 on the 225, 65 r17s.

I hope this helps a little with what you wanted.

Attachments

• 20220822_162711.jpg
    20220822_162711.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
FWIW there was a 4WD version of the W639. It wasn't sold in the UK but we saw a few in Germany one summer, and those were on 16" steel wheels with Continental VancoWinter tyres:

cap1.JPG

cap2.JPG

Not sure what you want to do with yours but we've never got stuck on the factory 17" wheels with standard Continental Vanco tyres, and we've been in some pretty nasty conditions ... usually towing a 1500 kg caravan. We drove out of this event fine without any assistance:

cap0.JPG

cap1.JPG

cap2.JPG

cap3.JPG

cap4.JPG

And this one (that's our blue Vito in the pics)

cap5.JPG

cap6.JPG

deleted.

Oh wow, I'd even be worried taking the freelander with AT tyres in that mush!

Just resurrecting this, life got busy, now really need tyres for the Vito. Turns out our Freelander (laid up, dying HP fuel pump and only clinging onto it for sentimental reasons) has almost new 225/55/R17 101 (XL) Michelin Latitude cross tyres. We need to go off road or on poor roads for towing the small sheep trailer.

The only issue is they are 101 load rating. the hand book says 101 are fine for the 2.7 and 3.05 ton models, ours is a 3.05 dualiner but our rear axle allowable weight is 1650kg which divided by 2 is 825kg which is exactly the load rating of a 101 tyre. The van currently has 101 on the rear and C on the front (likely previous owners saving money). The only options sticking with the correct size are C rated all season from the usual suspects. Kumho's new all season van tyre is interesting but no reviews at all.

I trust the Michelins we have on the Freelander as they do work well in all road conditions and are really tough, but I am unsure if I should put a 101 on there. The tyre pressure plate in the fuel cap says C rated tyres all round. My only option for van tyres would be all season - likely Kumho's new one as it seems to be the most cost effective from a known brand and a £900 set of Michelin Cross climates is a bit of a stretch right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom