Any W211 E55 Owners on here...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

itskarl

Car
R129 SL500
Hi guys, I'm toying with buying a mid 2000's E55, preferrably an estate. The thinking is to use it in place of my 535d M Sport (apologies for bad language!! :rolleyes:)
I'm sick of all the diesel **** headery you get when you drive a performance diesel like a normal, sane, safe person just going about thier commute to work....know what mean ??? I digress...

So whats to know, what do I need to know and what sort of consumption does one of these do on distance running (I commute mostly motorway) I'm not expecting anything other than poor but I'm OK with that, just would like to know real experiance before reality hits me !! lol |(I get 38mpg from the bemmer as its been ever so slightly tuned) I used to get 28mpg average from my CL500 which I always though was pretty good !

So any useful info appreciated before I start hunting. Even better anyone got an estate version for sale ??:D:D

I've had my e55 estate for a couple of months now. I get 19mpg on my commute which is 11 miles and mixed traffic. This goes up to about24/25 on a run. It is a superb family conveyance, especially as an estate as mine is.
I'm not entirely sure I follow what you mean about driving performance diesels but the e55 is very swift for a car its size.
There is a lot of spec options but really are you going to use it? Cooled seats are interesting but hardly vital. People have differing opinions on keyless and distronic.
E55bof has just bought a new e55 estate so has another to sell. Might be worth a pm but I'm sure he'll be along soon.

You're right; I'm here. I'll be selling my silver '03 seven-seater, 142k miles, in a week or two. I normally cruise at around 75-85 ( cough cough....sorry, officer, I mean 60-70...) and get around 22 mpg towards the higher end. If you want economy, look for something else.

They're rather good to drive... It will waft along with the best of them, but an AMG is all about the engine, and the engine is a cracker. About a second quicker to 60 than a standard 2013 535d M Sport, and the supercharged engine is rather like a quick diesel in that there's sledgehammer torque almost from idle.

I'll be looking for £9k, settling for about £8.5K. If you're interested, pm me (if you have enough posts) or just post on here and I'll pm you. I got pics; I got info; I got lies... Well, maybe not the last.

Last edited:
I've had my e55 estate for a couple of months now. I get 19mpg on my commute which is 11 miles and mixed traffic. This goes up to about24/25 on a run. It is a superb family conveyance, especially as an estate as mine is.
I'm not entirely sure I follow what you mean about driving performance diesels but the e55 is very swift for a car its size.
There is a lot of spec options but really are you going to use it? Cooled seats are interesting but hardly vital. People have differing opinions on keyless and distronic.
E55bof has just bought a new e55 estate so has another to sell. Might be worth a pm but I'm sure he'll be along soon.

Thanks for the reply, thats really inetresting, you get as much as 24/25 :¬)

My comment on the performance diesel thing........ Its me I'm sure but I get the impression that when 2.0 Tdi man (especially Audi man) is behind me then they feel the urge to prove their weazly diesely is somehow superior by having to get past me...... I'm an 80/85 man on the motorway and although I could very very easily get to 130+ in an instant I just don't want to, I'm going plenty fast enough thanks...yet these drivers insist on getting past and then I few miles later I cruise past them .... whats that all about ???
For info my 535 was mapped to 340Bhp, done by the dealer I bought it off !! lol

You're right; I'm here. I'll be selling my silver '03 seven-seater, 142k miles, in a week or two. I normally cruise at around 75-85 ( cough cough....sorry, officer, I mean 60-70...) and get around 22 mpg towards the higher end. If you want economy, look for something else.

They're rather good to drive... It will waft along with the best of them, but an AMG is all about the engine, and the engine is a cracker. About a second quicker to 60 than a standard 2013 535d M Sport, and the supercharged engine is rather like a quick diesel in that there's sledgehammer torque almost from idle.

I'll be looking for £9k, settling for about £8.5K. If you're interested, pm me (if you have enough posts) or just post on here and I'll pm you. I got pics; I got info; I got lies... Well, maybe not the last.

Thanks, I'll consider it, need to do some searching first. Ideally looking for as late a W211 estate as I can get, even then I'm rolling backward a bit as my 535 is a late 2009 but now with 193,000 on the clock, yes I do some miles !!

Fair enough. How late you get depends entirely on the depth of your pocket... Good luck.

The problem is you won't have a lot of choice. I think there are 2 others for sale (estates anyway) and a handful more saloons.

The problem is you won't have a lot of choice. I think there are 2 others for sale (estates anyway) and a handful more saloons.

This then makes the decision process even harder. My heart says buy another Merc, I've had them for over 15 years, got an SL500 in the garage as we speak, this BMW has been my first venture away from the fold...
My head says be financially sensible and just spend money on the car I already have, its 2009 with 193,000 !!

Mmmm ..... head or heart, heart over head.... Need a cold beer !!

yes another good point and they also seem to get more scarce the later they get, or so it seems.

You might want to expand your search to include the e63 as it will be a younger car and allow slightly more choice.

I say slightly, as it's a very limited choice anyway. Factor in you want an S211 and it's getting more narrow.

My comment on the performance diesel thing........ Its me I'm sure but I get the impression that when 2.0 Tdi man (especially Audi man) is behind me then they feel the urge to prove their weazly diesely is somehow superior by having to get past me...... I'm an 80/85 man on the motorway and although I could very very easily get to 130+ in an instant I just don't want to, I'm going plenty fast enough thanks...yet these drivers insist on getting past and then I few miles later I cruise past them .... whats that all about ???

It's the air of superiority your current car creates. 535d is a cracking car. You will find more estate

You will have the same thing in an E55K, but it will be far easier to despatch regular cars than with the 5.

I get it now and again and some of the cars that HAVE to get past are amusing.

Occasionally I amuse myself by opening a can of whoop-ass but it is usually too easy to win so I don't always bother.

It's the air of superiority your current car creates. 535d is a cracking car. You will find more estate

You will have the same thing in an E55K, but it will be far easier to despatch regular cars than with the 5.

I get it now and again and some of the cars that HAVE to get past are amusing.

Occasionally I amuse myself by opening a can of whoop-ass but it is usually too easy to win so I don't always bother.

I'm glad I'm not the only one !! Maybe the Diesel age has come to pass but I don't recall it being like this pre diesel dickery, yes there were petrol plonkers too but thats no different today !!
Have to say though, there is a certain childish pleasure is smoking them off

I have had mine just over a year, I average 17-19 mpg mixed driving and 22-23 on a run but if you are really careful 25 mpg. But the fun when you put your foot down means that being careful does not happen that often...

You cannot beat the estate it is simply vast and if like me, you are prone to transporting all sorts in the back you simply cannot beat it..

I have had mine just over a year, I average 17-19 mpg mixed driving and 22-23 on a run but if you are really careful 25 mpg. But the fun when you put your foot down means that being careful does not happen that often...

You cannot beat the estate it is simply vast and if like me, you are prone to transporting all sorts in the back you simply cannot beat it..

Completely agree !! I used to have a W211 320Cdi estate, fab car and as you say, acres of usable space, seats went flat, fab.........but just a bit pedestrian for me. Thats what made me get the 535d as its just got more grunt and the engine takes to remapping SO well.
But as I've said or at least intimated, I'm getting bored of diesel and miss a V8 for a daily drive :¬)

You will find more estate around your legs in the E55 vs. the E60

...I meant to say. I got interrupted before I posted!

Thats what made me get the 535d as its just got more grunt and the engine takes to remapping SO well.

Well once you get used to the power of the E55K, get it remapped for similarly good results...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom