Any W222 owners here?

• Thread starter Deleted member 37751
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have just found this thread and amazingly, at the moment, I have a 69 plate Audi A8 and a 16 plate S350d on my drive (as well as a 2010 S350d)...

4th June, lady pulls out on me, bang... 2010 S Class hits her. S Class is taken away to Merc bodyshop and Accident Exchange set me up with an Audi A8 as a courtesy car... it is crammed with tech. Touch screens (watch the fingerprints, they get everywhere) I have done 5000 miles in the Audi so far and although it is very nice, I find their Distronic equivalent bloody annoying as it constantly changes the speed to match the road sign recognition, but also gets it wrong, so you can be driving along at say 30-31 when all of a sudden, the car thinks it's in a 20 zone and applies the brakes.... not good if you have someone behind you driving too close!

I have been waiting for the 3rd party assessor to come out and give me a value on my 221 as it has already been deemed beyond economic repair, and in the meantime, I have managed to find my replacement 222, a 2016 car in black with very light grey interior (The first of 7 S Classes I have owned which hasn't got a black interior) To be honest, there is no comparison between the two. The S Class is streets ahead of the Audi, even though it is now 4 years old. Everything is where you would expect it to be in the Merc, stuff on the Audi just seems to have been randomly dumped in position. The seats are uncomfortable and there is so much information on the Audis Sat Nav screen, it is unbelievable (It even tells you how far above sea level you are... not much use if you are driving around Leicester!)

It would appear that I still have the Audi for at least another couple of weeks while they haggle over how much to pay me out on the 221, and I will use the Audi as it isn't putting mileage on my S Class... in the meantime, I am fitting the extras I wanted to the 222. I have the fridge, Towbar and boot closer to do next week and have already fitted Carplay and dash cam... and driven it a total of 14 miles in 4 weeks!!

Attachments

• Screenshot (561).png
    Screenshot (561).png
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_9232 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_9232 (Medium).JPG
    542 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_9240 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_9240 (Medium).JPG
    461 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_9227 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_9227 (Medium).JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_8930 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_8930 (Medium).JPG
    167.2 KB · Views: 27
I have just found this thread and amazingly, at the moment, I have a 69 plate Audi A8 and a 16 plate S350d on my drive (as well as a 2010 S350d)...

4th June, lady pulls out on me, bang... 2010 S Class hits her. S Class is taken away to Merc bodyshop and Accident Exchange set me up with an Audi A8 as a courtesy car... it is crammed with tech. Touch screens (watch the fingerprints, they get everywhere) I have done 5000 miles in the Audi so far and although it is very nice, I find their Distronic equivalent bloody annoying as it constantly changes the speed to match the road sign recognition, but also gets it wrong, so you can be driving along at say 30-31 when all of a sudden, the car thinks it's in a 20 zone and applies the brakes.... not good if you have someone behind you driving too close!

I have been waiting for the 3rd party assessor to come out and give me a value on my 221 as it has already been deemed beyond economic repair, and in the meantime, I have managed to find my replacement 222, a 2016 car in black with very light grey interior (The first of 7 S Classes I have owned which hasn't got a black interior) To be honest, there is no comparison between the two. The S Class is streets ahead of the Audi, even though it is now 4 years old. Everything is where you would expect it to be in the Merc, stuff on the Audi just seems to have been randomly dumped in position. The seats are uncomfortable and there is so much information on the Audis Sat Nav screen, it is unbelievable (It even tells you how far above sea level you are... not much use if you are driving around Leicester!)

It would appear that I still have the Audi for at least another couple of weeks while they haggle over how much to pay me out on the 221, and I will use the Audi as it isn't putting mileage on my S Class... in the meantime, I am fitting the extras I wanted to the 222. I have the fridge, Towbar and boot closer to do next week and have already fitted Carplay and dash cam... and driven it a total of 14 miles in 4 weeks!!
Great write-up - thanks!

I’d be interested to know how you get on with your old S Class too - was there much damage?

I just recently bought an S63 L Amg W222 in May. Lovely car was hard to source one at a good specification, due to Covid the dealer wiped £6k of the price tag so I couldn't say no.
I managed to do a few mods and retrofit.

Lovely car, smooth drive, the driving assistance pack is excellent on the motorway.

A big car though

Great write-up - thanks!

I’d be interested to know how you get on with your old S Class too - was there much damage?
Is the boot closer a big job?

A short while on from my previous post...

The assessor came out to my 2010 LWB... beyond economical repair :( ... it needs a new nearside headlight, bonnet, wing, bumper, reinforcement bar, headlight mounting panel... The third party insurance have paid out and I got to keep the car!! Not sure what to do with it yet, but it is pretty highly spec'd so worth a few bob in spares (I broke my previous 2006 W221 and made double what I would have got selling it as a whole car!) Audi A8 goes back on Wednesday!!

With regards to mods on the new one, It now has a fridge and I have fitted the towbar, although I need to get my head around the wiring yet, as it comes with 5 red cables that need to be inserted at various places in the rear fusebox and two existing cables have to be moved...

The boot closer is a different story. I have the parts, but according to my MB parts contact, there isn't a separate wiring loom available that allows retrofit (although he is going to look further into it) It does seem rather strange that it isn't addable!!

IMG_9385.JPGIMG_9386.JPGIMG_9388.JPGIMG_9389.JPGIMG_9364.JPGIMG_9365.JPGIMG_9366.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9393.JPG
    IMG_9393.JPG
    342.1 KB · Views: 3
A short while on from my previous post...

The assessor came out to my 2010 LWB... beyond economical repair :( ... it needs a new nearside headlight, bonnet, wing, bumper, reinforcement bar, headlight mounting panel... The third party insurance have paid out and I got to keep the car!! Not sure what to do with it yet, but it is pretty highly spec'd so worth a few bob in spares (I broke my previous 2006 W221 and made double what I would have got selling it as a whole car!) Audi A8 goes back on Wednesday!!

With regards to mods on the new one, It now has a fridge and I have fitted the towbar, although I need to get my head around the wiring yet, as it comes with 5 red cables that need to be inserted at various places in the rear fusebox and two existing cables have to be moved...

The boot closer is a different story. I have the parts, but according to my MB parts contact, there isn't a separate wiring loom available that allows retrofit (although he is going to look further into it) It does seem rather strange that it isn't addable!!

View attachment 100422View attachment 100423View attachment 100424View attachment 100425View attachment 100427View attachment 100428View attachment 100429
Whereabouts in the country are you?

The boot closer on a W221 is easily retrofitted as you are able to buy the looms as separate items from MB... Just a matter of wiring it up

The W222 appears to have a build specific main loom, added to the car when in the factory and it appears there isn't an individual loom available to retro fit it... according to my mate at MB parts anyway... I can find it on the new EPC either... I have all the bits, just can't get the loom so will try and find someone braking one and see if I can strip out the boot closer loom complete... That's what I did with the rear entertainment system for the 221... although I never fitted that, it's in the garage in a big box.... I always love to remove stuff from a scrap car rather than just buy it... far more fun when you come to fit it then :)

Troon Cars, Leicester. :)
Started off at £32,950 now it's sneaked down to £29,999. They've got some other nice Mercs too, particularly a Magno
Grey 350 cdi E class. 👍

It's on Autotrader... and is a well kitted out car... There was another a few weeks ago at about 33k that had all manner of extras, HUD, full Burmester, rear screens etc. but didn't have Distronic... so I passed on that one... such a shame that a high spec car like it didn't have the best feature!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom