Any way to check if a car has been remapped?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrmonkeyboy

Car
E63 AMG (w212)
I'm thinking about getting my E63 AMG remapped, but I'm keen to understand if the car has already been remapped in the past (I'm pretty sure it hasn't)

Are there any markers that can be seen through an OBD2 check of the software?

I'm assuming that it's the 5.5 twin turbo car.

If so, then there's no real way of checking without either ECU removal and reading or putting it on a dyno. There's no way of telling via the OBD port as far as I'm aware.

I don't suppose you could contact the previous owner to ask them? This would obviously be the easiest way, the next being a dyno run to confirm output.

As above, either dyno or putting a stock map on to compare with

Maybe one of the resident tuners can recommend a parameter to watch using ODBII and say the Torque app.

Can you not read the maps through the OBD port? Removing the ECU seems a bit extreme just to check if it's running a standard map or not.

Can you not read the maps through the OBD port? Removing the ECU seems a bit extreme just to check if it's running a standard map or not.

Not on the Bi Turbo engines as far as I'm aware. I believe that you can on the earlier M156 engined cars, though the M157 ones have to have the ECU opened. Removal is literally a 2 minute job though, so not all bad.

I'm going to assume that the OP's car is a 6.2.

If it was a remapped 5.5, he'd know for sure.

I think the nice UK tuners will happily be able to tell you if you pop to see them. It'll take them a few minutes and if you haven't already been remapped, chances are, you'll get it done by them, so it's in their interest to help you.

Hi

Dyno will be best to see if the car is mapped or find a road where you can check if the limiter is on or off the car.

Or give me a call if you would like me to check

Cheers
Acid

Well, there you go, an offer you can't refuse. :)

The person above has a vague idea with these things, so it may be worth taking him up on the offer, though it tends to get a bit addictive.

If your 2nd to 3rd gear changes feel more significantly violent then the rest under WOT then more then likely mapped

thanks for help.
its a 5.5 bi turbo w212.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom