Any way to tell the difference

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggusmickus

Aside from the model designation on the boot, does anyone know if there any way of physically distinguishing the E220cdi from the E250cdi, such as something different under the bonnet? Would any part of the engine or chassis number indicate which was which?
Thank you for any help.

You can look the chassis number up on the russian site , it will tell you what model it is .

Both the chassis and the engine number would ident the engine

Thanks very much for that tip Howard. I'm guessing that the W212 hasn't made it onto the database yet as I get:
1) VIN was misspelled in the request form;
2) VIN was erroneously read from vehicle body or documents;
3) VIN is not of an original vehicle and was forged by criminals;
4) The vehicle was produced in late 2005 or 2006, and is not included yet in our database.

I'll try the VIN and engine number with a different dealer as it came up on my dealer's system documentation as an E220cdi. Most likely a inputting error somewhere along the line but I'm interested to find out.

Thanks again

If you are happy to post them here I can check the MB database?

Hi Whitenemesis and thank you for your offer. The VIN is WDD2120032A076809. I've left the job card copy with the engine number in my office, so if you need this I can get it after the weekend.

As I said it's most likely a typo somewhere along the line or my dealer being daft but I'm grateful for help here.

biggusmickus - that VIN shows the car is a 250 cdi, delivery date 31-07-09. Nice spec (apart from the manual transmission! :rolleyes: )

If you would like a copy of the datacard let me know your email address :)

Last edited:
Manual???...but nice spec?

Obvioulsy spent some money on goodies and then sticks with a clunky shifter? odd

Thanks WM much appreciated. I'm probably alright without the datacard as it was just this 220cdi mullarkey that was a head scratcher, especially as my last four cars have been 6 pots and the new Merc doesn't let it self down on the performance front. Had it turned out to be a 220 I would have been extremely impressed.

Yes, the manual is fairly odd but we had no choice in the matter as when the W212 was first released you could have the 4 cylinder diesels with automatic if you plumped for the SE spec, whereas the AV and sport could only be had as manual. I'd had numerous A6s and 5 series and was bursting for a change so I actually collared and harangued some 12 year from the MB marketing department when the W212 was being previewed at Brooklands and his line was that the new shift was so good that they wanted to showcase it on the top models! Bonkers.

To answer the hanging question, it does the job when you're on the go but it's not a thing of joy, especially trying to jam it into reverse. TBH, I would now take the self-shifter in a heartbeat and you can imagine my joy when the June 2009 announced auto availability across the range <sob>

That said, it's still a very comfortable, solid and handsome carand hopefully with the injector excitment behind us I'm more than happy.

Thanks again for your help and a Happy New Year.

Happy New Year to you too! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom