Anybody, admired your motor?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Lovely, and deceptively quick. From 50 up the 3ltr 4 pot has got some grunt.
Also wonderfully smooth for a big 4-pot. The balance shaft (apparently borrowed from Mitsubish) was very effective.

Over the years I had a few comments regarding the cars I drive - some of them complimentary!! I think the one that received the most was a British Racing Green XK140 Coupe. Almost everytime it had been cleaned and went out someone (usually women) would comment about its lines.

Recently the E63 had had a few comments; I think because it is white with Carbon lip etc., so a little diffferent from the norm. Funny though how all the complimenters disappear when you put them up for sale .......... ;-)

_RY_1375.jpg

Had a couple I can remember.

First one was driving down a busy street at crawling speed, it was a hot day so window was down half way. A guy walking down the street shouted at me, all I initially heard was 'Yo man...' (without stereotyping, he was afro-carribean). I wound the window down and he then said 'wicked car man, love it. That's a ****in top car. It's exactly what I'm after but in a different colour. Respect man, respect'.

Second time I went to pick up a spare part from a breaker local to me. He came out to check it against the car and said 'oh wow it's the V10. One of our guys is a mad Audi guy, let me get him'. The other guy came out and went around the car taking pics of the brakes and asked if he could see the engine. I popped the bonnet and started it up for them. Had some nice compliments from them both.

Of course when I got home and told the wife, she said 'have you been showing off again with your car??'

Yeh I had a copper say nice car at the local shell petrol station when I had my golf r last year!

Had the odd comment when my old S212 350 was new, but had far more comments on the Tesla, including a round of applause from a group of school kids one afternoon.

My old MGB is the clear winner though - virtually every time I get it out someone stops to look and have a chat!
A66AEA5E-8CA8-412D-BF97-14292206CF81.jpeg

C55 estates are fairly rare and pretty anonymous to those who have no idea. Mine lives on the drive out front of the house , the other day a young chap delivering a parcel commented on the car , he clearly wanted to chat but had a van load of stuff to deliver elsewhere (and he was blocking the road , they all do !) . A while back a builders labourer working a few doors down came over and we had a long chat about the car , and once a twentysomething chap came over to me in a petrol station explaining how his dad was a fan of MB and would be pi$$ed off that he was not here to see a C55 estate :). I have seen heads turn when I pull away from parking/petrol stations etc as some might be confused as to where that V8 sound coming from ?' (stock exhaust) as they see a old C class trundle by.

My car is no show queen and has only been hand polished by me once (bored, first lockdown) so it only gets noticed for what it is , not how shiny it is.

The balance shaft (apparently borrowed from Mitsubish) was very effective.
And Mitsubishi in turn had pinched the design from the British Engineer Frederick Lanchester, who had patented it in 1904. In fairness Mitsubishi did refine Lanchester's work, locating one balance shaft higher than the other in order to counteract the rolling couple about the crankshaft axis when engine speed increases or decreases. Their refinements were sufficiently novel that they could be patented and Porsche, SAAB, and others licensed the system from Mitsubishi.

Lanchester was a brilliant automotive engineer, and quite a leader when it came to vibration. It's moot whether Lanchester or Henry Royce was the inventor of the (torsional) harmonic damper that remains a vital part of most IC engines, and he used the same principle to improve the ride quality of his cars by fitting them with harmonic bumpers - mass-loaded bumpers front and rear, flexibly mounted to tune out unwanted road shocks.

Last edited:
Just yesterday had a random guy giving me hand signals from the pavement in Castle Donington, thought he was trying to get me to slow down (I wasn't speeding as its a 30 zone), as I got close I got two thumbs up, then thumbs down and a frown until I realised what he was after......so, into Sport+ and mashed the throttle.

Could see him with his thumbs up in the mirror as I passed him :)

Also had a Tesco delivery driver comment on it, my postman (who if I didn't know better would think he wants to steal it), a stranger walking by who stopped to watch me leave the drive and a random youth at a bus stop asking me to 'Rev it'.

Have to say, its weird getting that kind of attention, but I love it lol

Shopping delivery yesterday, 2 blokes as one was training.
We have a Ring doorbell/camera and it loads to my iPad when activated, as it was loading I heard the trainee comment ‘nice car he’s got’.

If you want attention in your car then best get one of these, this is my last one.......
FB_IMG_1600722119531.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom