anybody ever hired a narrowboat

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by coupe deville, Sep 3, 2008.

1. coupe deville

coupe deville Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    93 E320 coupe sportline facelift
    hi guys we're hiring a narrow boat on monday to friday on the leeds/liverpool canal [been watching sootys dad on Locks and Quays] going from skipton and heading west for a couple of days nice and steady then back would like to get thru the foulridge tunnel b4 turning back how far do these boats go in a day 4mph x about 6 hours chugging less the time spent doing swing bridges and locks and getting waylaid in the pub might even get to rochdale anybody been on this canal any good pubs any tips -- locks ?? there're not rocket science are they ? hire company sent us a booklet and dvd will have to have a look at the weekend hope the weather picks up ----ahoy there me hearties shiver me timbers

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  2. RoseTattoo

RoseTattoo Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W204
    I used to think in terms of 2.5 mph and 20 minutes a lock. However I don't know the Leeds and Liverpool. If it is wide and deep you might manage 4mph.
    Dead good though.

3. davidjpowell

davidjpowell Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Range Rover Vogue, Volvo XC60 and crappy Pug 307
    Did it when I was a kid. Took 3 days to get from West Stockwith to Skipton I seem to think. I suspect that you will get nowhere near Rochdale, and don't forget there are a couple of locks in series near Bingley (one of them five rise). They can and do take time!

Afraid that I was too young to know too much about the pubs!

David

4. crockers

crockers MB Club Veteran

Car:
    XC60 MY2014 SeLux Nav plus lot and lots of toys...
    Having owned one -- I think 4 mph is pushing the boat and causes wash which can damage the banks...... 3 mph is nearer the estimate and yes you ought to allow anything up to 1/2 hr a lock depending on queues etc ....

You wont want to race anyway -- the whole point is to chill and relax...have fun:rock:

5. jpskiller

jpskiller Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Wifes
    I was also a kid when I was last on this canal, so cant remember the pubs and as for the locks, well my dad always made me do them

6. Meldrew2

Meldrew2 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mine: BMW X1 2.0d M-Sport & BMW 420d M-Sport+ Cabrio Hers: BMW X1 1.8d SE (sorry, guys)
    At least with the current weather you can be certain that there will be enough water in the canal.........

Have a good break!

7. UnMarked

UnMarked Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Various-depends on the weather
    There's a lovely pub in East Marton (trouble is it's only about 2-3hrs steaming out of Skipton!) called the Cross Keys - food is excellent and it's got Copper Dragon as its supplier (Golden Pippin is a draught beer to die for :D ).

Further west (into bandit territory - Lancs ;) ) there are plenty of pubs along the route but some are in areas that make Barnsley look like Surbiton! Oh yes, and plenty of locks too :crazy:

I cycled the tow-path between Skipton and Burnley a couple of years ago and it's a lovely route. Have fun shippers!

8. Londonscottish

Londonscottish Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S212 E500
    Assume walking pace overall. I did it a few years ago. If you're doing say 3mph you slowly drift past walkers. Then you do the lock thing and they wander past again. Repeat all day.

They're not hard to operate. But being a landlubber it took 30 mins for me to realise that they are only under your control when you are applying power forwards or backwards. If you try to stand still you have several tons of steel headining inexorably towards a hard object - or a small crushable boat. There's a lot of momentum.......

Massively relaxing - great fun

9. BTB 500

BTB 500 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S203 C230
    We did the Avon many years ago. Moored in the basin at Stratford, we watched a narrowboat swing confidently under the road bridge leading to the canal that starts there. What he didn't realise was that only one arch was navigable - the other was bricked up halfway though. Guess which one he took :D

10. BIG Sean

BIG Sean Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Corsa (temporary - don't ask)
    Haven't any experience on the pennine canals - But we've done the Llangollen, the Shropshire Union, the Trent and Mersey[and the Caldon] over the last couple of years and are setting off from Sawley marina near Nottingham in October - destination unknown so far

3mph is about right - 15 to 20 miles a day with 10 to 15 locks[allow 15mins without queues] ie 20miles + 10 locks or 15 miles and 15 locks in a long day [0800 - 1800] solid cruising ie without any long boozy lunches - if you can a find a canalside pub open [not that many on the routes we've been on].

It is, as said previously, incredibly relaxing and extremely enjoyable - last August it rained solidly for a week and that was more than a little wearing [got hung up on two cills on way back to the hire wharf - just because we were so fed up and not concentrating as much as we should have been] but when it's not raining its great fun and everyone has a role to do [even my youngest daughter, who just turned 7 last time out helps the missus with the locks].

Take good wet gear[just in case] and proper boots, mind the cills and ENJOY.

11. gbjeppm

gbjeppm Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C207 E Coupe 350cdi, W166 ML 250 Cdi Sport, R171 SLK 350, Suzuki V Strom DL650
    And what is wrong with Surbiton?:D

12. Satch

Satch Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
    If you get as far as the Five Rise Locks at Bingley, good luck!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  13. Number_Cruncher

Number_Cruncher Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    1995 E300D
    Going west out of Skipton isn't going to give you much scope. Yes, there's the mile tunnel, but that's nobbut a dank dismal hole in the wall. Once you get beyond the locks at Barrowford, and into Nelson, the area really takes a nosedive, and it doesn't get at all nice again until you're out of the other side of Burnley.

If you want to upset a local, pronouce Foulridge as Fowlridge. They hate that! [The preferred pronunciation is more like Folridge].

The only half way acceptable pub in Foulridge is the New Inn, which is some little way away from the canal. There are good pubs in Gargrave, Marton (the Cross keys, already mentioned). I'm not sure which pubs are OK in Barnoldswick, although I'm fairly sure that avoiding the ones right in the centre, like the Railway, and the Seven Stars, is a good plan.

14. Gollom

Gollom Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S211 E220CDi AvantGarde, NTG 2.5 with Linguatronic
    I don't entirely disagree - but the Weavers Triangle in Burnley is a very interesting place :)

And Barnoldswick is pronounced locally as Barlick :crazy:

15. Number_Cruncher

Number_Cruncher Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    1995 E300D
    >>Barlick

Quite so. A place with quite a reputation in the area. The rumour being that many people there lived "over the brush", and in the heyday of CB radio Barlick was referred to as "sin city".

Many in Barlick still haven't come to terms with the border changes of 1974, and still think they are in Yorkshire.

(Far) East Lancashire is an area I left about 15 years ago, because apart from Rolls-Royce in Barlick, there are precious few decent technical jobs available, and hence, I languish, in exile, in the East Midlands.

16. mw_C32

mw_C32 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

17. Frank O' Phile

Frank O' Phile Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    gone
    Quite agree with the above.

I used to work and live on the Caledonian canal, and just being there was enough. Don't set a schedule, don't be in a rush, and just wait and see what happens. And don't think you can get through locks in any kind of set time. Some you will time right and just wander straight in, others will be against you and you'll need to wait.

Above all, just relax and remeber, if you don't know where you're going, you'll always get there.

BTW does it have SatNav?

18. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    Yep. Work out the route on the Saturday...in your Nicholson guide...;)

19. OP
    OP
    coupe deville

coupe deville Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    93 E320 coupe sportline facelift
    thanks for the advice guys -will also read the booklet and watch the dvd b4 we go and let you know if i get back sound in mind and body

20. Colin_b

Colin_b Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C250CDI (C320CDI & SLK350, Sold) & the Trusty Citigo