Anybody explain this, winter steel wheels.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John Jones Jr

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mazda MX5 10AE, W201 2.5-16, W202 230K Sport man, Honda Accord & Suzuki 'Ricer'.
I'm mulling over my next project and I'm considering using R129 steel wheels which are normally fitted in conjunction with winter tyres, according to M-B themselves.

Now the normal early R129 alloy wheel is 8Jx16 H2 ET34, the steel wheel is 8Jx16 H2 ET35 and both take the same tyre size 225/55/16.

What I want to know is why M-B added a footnote to the wheel spec, stating that steel wheel is ''For subsequence installation of winter tyres only''. Is there some inherent problem I'm unaware of if I fit Summer tyres to the steel wheels?

Any ideas or input greatly received.

Last edited:
It wouldn't be anything to do with superior brake cooling that alloy the design might offer?

Last edited:
Steel will dissipate heat faster I would have thought.

[edit] just checked and I am wrong.

Steel will dissipate heat faster I would have thought.

[edit] just checked and I am wrong.

I recall being told that the 15 hole alloy was specifically designed or better designed to aid brake cooling?

My guess would be that the steel wheels aren't quite as stiff/rigid under cornering loads.

That's not to say that steel wheels can't be made for high-speed applications ... just that these specific rims were designed with the lower speeds associated with winter driving & tyres in mind.

BTB500, you & Sp!ke could be on the money - speed rating. If it's accepted that steel wheels in the case of the R129 are only used for Winter tyres well they'll have a lower speed rating than Summer tyres. Thus, it may not be the wheel as such but the tyre itself?

Edit. On reflection my assumption doesn't make sense, as a Winter tyre has the speed rating denoted on it just like a Summer.

Last edited:
My guess is that steels are cheaper and much more resistant to harsh winter road conditions than lacquer of the aluminum alloys.

My guess is that steels are cheaper and much more resistant to harsh winter road conditions than lacquer of the aluminum alloys.

Agree but why does M-B state they're only suitable for Winter tyres?

P.s. Primera P11 eh? One of the nicest handling & steering FWD cars I ever drove.

Agree but why does M-B state they're only suitable for Winter tyres?

P.s. Primera P11 eh? One of the nicest handling & steering FWD cars I ever drove.

Premium car does not look good with cheapo wheels?

Yep, P11 :thumb: If only it has 2.0L engine... nowadays it's not on the road use (cancelled insurance fees too), waiting if I sell my W210 but it looks like I need to sell Primera instead...

My guess would be that the steel wheels aren't quite as stiff/rigid under cornering loads.

You might well be right. W124 Estate steel wheels are much thicker & heavier than saloon wheels. They have a little Twheel badge

I assume a Mercedes test-driver had a wheel failure at full chat on the Nurburgring and a memo was sent

Nick Froome

W124 Estate steel wheels are much thicker & heavier than saloon wheels. They have a little Twheel badge

Nick Froome

Very interesting, I'd never have suspected that. :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom