Anybody fitted a car PC?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smile

Car
'02 W208 CLK Convertble
Hi Guys,

Has anybody on this forum installed, or ever dabbled with a car PC?

I've got most of the gear ready to go in, just missing the screen and a few cables.

The only bit that's got me stuck is working out how I can keep the Volume control functionality on my steering wheel. I imagine this is the case, but can anybody confirm that the wiring going into the original COMAND unit on my W208 CLK is CAN-Bus?

If this is the case, I think I'll have to get a 'stalk adaptor' for an Alpine/Sony/Whatever which could convert the signal to resistive. Then I can buy a gizmo from these guys which will convert it into a USB input device.

Don't know why you'd want to??

Buy an iPad or small Laptop, far more useful IMHO and the iPad makes a far better 'in-car-DVD-TV' player with a suitable headrest mount.

It has many more uses than just as a DVD player or TV. It will replace the outdated COMAND sat nav system, have bluetooth connectivity as a handsfree system, and be able to store all of my music on the hard drive.

A tablet or small laptop can do all of these things as well, but the issue is how to mount it (though a lot of people are now mounting small 7" tablets into their dashboards as carPCs).
I want something that's more embedded within the car, that looks OEM.

Yes I have in a previous car. In your CLK the controls will be CAN-BUS. AFAIK only Incar Tec do an interface for the CLK and it is over £100.

I've been using a carpc for the last 10 years or so.. Just ordered my B180 but it's going to take a few months to come. Unsure if I'm going to add it to the B180 or just end up getting a tomtom.. will have to see what happens.

Did you get any further ?

Thanks,

Steve

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom