Anybody know a reliable reasonable chromer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Charles Morgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
Yes, I know, a rare beast up there with unicorns. The last chromer I used lost an original bumper bolt off my Allard and was unrepentant.

I have lots of bits on the W114 that have poor chrome. For some it will be easier and cheaper to replace, for others the cost is high and I'd like to have an alternative.

Many thanks!

You could speak to Colin Ferns in Richmond ?

He does a lot of pagoda restoration , I imagine he would be able to recommend a good one ? The standard of restoration is excellent.

To re-frame the question a bit, much of this is interior chrome which I don't believe is of the high standards of say a Rolls Royce (oddly all my exterior chrome except window trims of which many are aluminium are good now) so I'm not after top end quality.

Silvabronz seem to hoover up a lot of the south coast work: Beckworth Silvabronz - Home

Never had chrome done with them, but for gold and silver plating they're up there.

Silvabronz were at the NEC a few years ago and I gave them the mirror backs from a 107. These are made from a soft metak type stuff and require careful handling. Results were very good to excellent.
For interest they also claimed to be able to simulate the brushed alloy finish on window and door trims by satin chroming them.

I tend to take the view if they can afford a stand at the NEC they're going to be too expensive! But then I'm Welsh and fabulously mean.

I saw their stand there and the results were very good. They're also down in Alton so I can pop it down and decide on the spot.

The chap who restored my Allard, the amazing Billy Roe at North American Motors in Farnborough has a chromer who was good, but like everything else to do with Billy (who is a seriously super guy) he did take his time. Four hubcaps were £160.

Last edited:
Charles, if you find one in Birmingham I am happy to take the parts in personally and then collect them. Perhaps less likely to go walkabout if they know the person is bringing them in and then collecting them??

Yes, I know, a rare beast up there with unicorns. The last chromer I used lost an original bumper bolt off my Allard and was unrepentant.

I have lots of bits on the W114 that have poor chrome. For some it will be easier and cheaper to replace, for others the cost is high and I'd like to have an alternative.

Many thanks!

I used JSJ in Aldershot for the bike chroming. Very reasonable and good quality too!

Just a ponton 190 front bumper over rider to cromefix birmingham, quote £42 for job

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom