• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Anybody near Southampton?

Don't think I'm going to progress this one. Few things are raising red flags for me, not least that latest MOT has an advisory: "Rear Sub-frame corroded but not seriously weakened"!!

He sent me some better pics of the bumper damage (see below) - to me it looks more as if the car has been hit from the side rear (rather than a simple a bump to the rear) which has then pushed the whole bumper out of alignment. I dread to think of the make-good cost for that! He said he bought the car as Cat N and that the previous owner had replaced the bumper (which I doubt), so do wonder if he is just trying to 'flip' it.

His email (from a PL domain) said "I went around and took pictures of the damages....... I don't have an engineer report as I bought it with category applied on and previous owner advised that he replaces the rear bumper. The front wing has a damage from catching the curb at the car park, AMG version sits quite low and needs to stay away from high curbs."

Thanks to all for help, especially @fabes and @Wearsthefoxhat (you seriously need to reveal how you came up with THAT name!) who said they would go take a look

IMG_2470.jpeg IMG_2472.jpeg IMG_2471.jpeg

Don't think I'm going to progress this one. Few things are raising red flags for me, not least that latest MOT has an advisory: "Rear Sub-frame corroded but not seriously weakened"!!

He sent me some better pics of the bumper damage (see below) - to me it looks more as if the car has been hit from the side rear (rather than a simple a bump to the rear) which has then pushed the whole bumper out of alignment. I dread to think of the make-good cost for that! He said he bought the car as Cat N and that the previous owner had replaced the bumper (which I doubt), so do wonder if he is just trying to 'flip' it.

His email (from a PL domain) said "I went around and took pictures of the damages....... I don't have an engineer report as I bought it with category applied on and previous owner advised that he replaces the rear bumper. The front wing has a damage from catching the curb at the car park, AMG version sits quite low and needs to stay away from high curbs."

Thanks to all for help, especially @fabes and @Wearsthefoxhat (you seriously need to reveal how you came up with THAT name!) who said they would go take a look

View attachment 157009 View attachment 157010 View attachment 157012
Good call.
That front wing to bumper joint is 2 bolts and 2 retaining 'pins'. If the fixings have been torn out (which it looks like from the photo), that's a new front bumper and/or new front wing.

Fair enough

Those new shots (even of the wheel and the edge of the tyre) does reveal it's a little rougher than at first glance.
I also read into this that it was his Cat N, so your perception may well be correct here

Plenty more fish in the sea.....

I suspect the front and back end damage happened at the same time, at which point the Category starts to make more sense. Front wing, front and rear bumpers, paint plus any other hidden gems that are discovered during repair? Now you're getting to the sort of costs that would write that car off

As sung by the 4 Tops...Walk away Renee....If something appears too good to be true...It usually is...Dodged one there

View attachment 157009 View attachment 157010 View attachment 157012
That doesn’t look like it’ll be an expensive fix at all if you have a half decent bodyshop.

That doesn’t look like it’ll be an expensive fix at all if you have a half decent bodyshop.
New front bumper cover, the nearside wing shows a dent /crease that needs repair or replacement so with new parts, paint to the front bumper, wing and rear bumper and from what we can see, at least one wheel refurbishment and ? one new tyre etc . I could easily see such a repair being £2000 plus and that is not accounting for any other damage that may be revealed underneath.

£2000 cheaper then possibly worth a chance

Last edited:
I’m not against cars that need a little TLC if there’s a reason to buy them (rarity, spec, price etc) but I can’t see the appeal of this.

Diesel E-class cabs aren’t that rare, cat-N is one thing - but a tatty car that has outstanding issues isn’t worth getting involved with unless there’s a specific reason to do so - doesn’t seem that cheap to me? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom