Anybody with a new E63 4Matic ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rsk21

Car
German and British
Hello all, long time no post.

Am thinking of coming back to AMG having had a couple of M cars as recent dailies.

Anybody on here with a new E63 ? Am considering an S wagon and would love to hear people's real world thoughts and experiences.

Specifically how did you fare in terms of securing a discount ? Happy to cover that via PM if it's more comfortable.

Thanks in advance :)

Heya mate, have a W213 E63S, happy to answer any questions you may have.

As far as the purchasing situation stands, I ordered my car in June 2017. Received it in early December. I did not push for any discounts due to several other factors, however, checking on CarWow late last year, I saw a couple of dealerships giving between £8k-£12k off. Give CarWow a whirl and see how you fare.

For the car itself, it's an absolutely astounding demonstration of bipolarity. I've put 2000 miles on mine in 3 weeks, including a trip out to the continent. It is a very, very powerful highway cruiser that can whisk along 4 people and all their luggage in sumptuous luxury and comfort OR it can try and tear your face off if you give it a proper poke. The soundtrack is fantastic, and it's something that will constantly put a smile on your face. I've had people come up to me in parking lots complimenting the V8 rumble, doormen telling me it sounds great, smiles and thumbs up all round. I think part of it is because no one expects the sound from a executive sedan. You will appreciate the traction this thing can somehow find, too. I've driven an F10 M5, and it broke loose at 40mph when putting my foot down. The E63S just hunkers down and fires, even when I mash the throttle like a yob. It's even manageable with half throttle in the absolute wettest of rain. I've had it break loose before, however, and you can get it to misbehave if you want, even with the 4Matic engaged. Launches are similar. No drama, no fuss, just mind-bending acceleration. It doesn't launch so much as it erupts. All the tech and toys are lots of fun and the interior generally causes people to pause and go: "Whoa, that's AWESOME!".

A couple of negative notes - the fuel tank is stupidly small. It's only 66L. You will find yourself at a Shell fairly often. My city MPG is roughly 7-10mpg, depending on driving modes. Highway, it can eek out 20mpg in a cruise. I've seen 23mpg before. Lowest I've seen was 2.7mpg. That made me laugh a fair bit.

The car does experience software glitches. I've had the entire COMAND reboot while doing 60mph on the motorway. I've also had a glitch that caused the car to go into limp mode after displaying a number of error messages. A restart fixed that one. Nothing that caused a massive amount of headache but still annoying nonetheless. There's also the standard 4Matic clunking. The car will judder on full lock. Standard on 4Matic Mercs, the other E63S owners on this board will confirm. It's annoying, but you get used to it. Tad unsightly for a £100k car, but I can live with it. It's nice for scaring passengers, I suppose, haha!

All in all, I love this machine. It's fantastic. It has it's drawbacks, but to be honest, they're worth glossing over for the sheer breadth of ability Mercedes has bestowed this machine with. You will not be disappointed.

Many thansk Aamir, that's much appreciated.

Do you have the switchable exhaust on yours ?

I don't own one but was lucky enough to do the driving experience at Mercedes Benz world in an AMG GT. When I asked the instructors opinion what was the best car around the track? Is it the AMG GTR? He said no, the E63S with 4 wheel drive, it's stupidly quick and the traction is insane.
Just another opinion for you.

I ordered mine at the beginning of May and took delivery at the end of September. I agree with everything Aamir said, he describes it very well. I also had the Comand reboot just once. It's a hard car not to love. There is no doubt that Mercedes are fobbing us off about the 4Matic clunking that seems to be inherent on RHD 4Matic cars only. But it seems we have to live with that. The E63s is bonkers when you want it to be and a pussycat the rest of the time.. I do love it. My previous car was a W212 E63 which was a great car. - This one is even better.

The switchable exhaust is a must. But it still doesn't sound as good as my previous 6.2 W212 E63. I also got the head up display, and the driver assistance package - a must for distance driving.

Last edited:
I don't own one but was lucky enough to do the driving experience at Mercedes Benz world in an AMG GT. When I asked the instructors opinion what was the best car around the track? Is it the AMG GTR? He said no, the E63S with 4 wheel drive, it's stupidly quick and the traction is insane.
Just another opinion for you.
Likewise took E63S 4MATIC out on a 4MATIC customer day (9 cars in total) and including a AMG GT. The E63 accelerating was monstrous, the feeling was mixed: sheer exhilaration, amazement, yet a pang of fear, that the car was so sure-footed I'd be tempted to go round corners too quickly, break speed limits too easily or much worse. There were 9 of us and the consensus was that the E63 was the most liked. Not he car for me however, but I'm glad I drove it at least once!

On the subject of purchase, I used CarWow in late 2016 to get the best quote on a W222 S350d SWB Premium Plus with £10k+ of extras, ended up with £20k+ discount (MB + CarWow). I'd highly recommend it for getting the best quote, since you can always use that as benchmark and lever at your preferred dealer. The only downside at the time, was the seeking dealer was hundreds of miles away from home, but it gave me the extra security of the DSR (Distance Selling Regulations). In the end after picking the car up in March, we liked the area so much, we ended up moving there to a brilliant mid-sized market town, 10 miles away from it, so no problem! Warranty for MB is, of course, valid at any MB dealer, so not an issue.

OP, best of luck with your selection and purchase.

Sent from my G3112 using Tapatalk

Thanks for thoughts thus far.

I've been on carwow and inside an hour had an offer of £15k off list on a factory build.

There are three cars in stock at my local dealer. I'm thinking that I can get them to do better depending given that i know at least two of those cars have been there since November and that feels like a lot of expensive metal tie dup doing nothing :)

Many thansk Aamir, that's much appreciated.

Do you have the switchable exhaust on yours ?

Yessir I do. It's a must, imo. Can really hear the difference. Although to be fair, I'm not sure what the car sounds like without. Just with the valves open vs. closed. The sound is a big part of the character so I recommend not skipping out on the Perf Exhaust though :)

CarWow worked well for me

I know I’ve only got an E43 but I got £10k off

Drive the deal v good - better than car wow (I tried both) when I was buying c63s last year

Morning Robin.

I have one of these things now after selling my old grey taxi. I bought it at the end of August though haven't really used it a lot due to a few factors beyond my control unfortunately. The post by Aamir sums the car up pretty accurately to be fair, and I can't add much to it, though I've not experienced any issues with the software. Yet. It's a lovely car to drive, far comfier than the W212 was, and eats up motorway miles for fun in a very civilised manner. It's also surprisingly good on the twisty bits, with the four wheel drive system pulling it through the bends rather indecently for such a big barge. The interior is spot on, though I'm not a fan of the touchpad controls on the steering wheel, finding them more of a distraction than necessary. Most of these can however be over-ridden by the conventional controls.

It's impressive from a standing start with the huge amounts of grip the 4matic+ system makes available, a lot better than our old ones with very little loss of traction. The switch-able exhaust is good, in that I can actually start this one in the morning without waking half the street up, and will bark when required, though possibly not as loud as your old one with the RADO system fitted. :)

I'm not a fan of the wheel centres, which need a supplied adaptor to remove before you can get to the wheel bolts, though if you don't do your own maintenance this shouldn't really affect you, and I also agree about the clunking on the steering, especially in the cold weather we've been having of late, though this can be minimised by not using full lock. I just treat it as a characteristic and not a nuisance really as the rest of the car certainly makes up for it.

As for the fuel capacity it's ludicrous really. Whoever thought that putting a little tank like they have in what is basically a Grand Tourer should be made to drive the car for a few thousand miles, where they may realise what a stupid mistake this was. I don't know what mine's like on fuel yet, though it's not much different to the 5.5 bi-turbo as far as I can make out.

As for the acquisition, mine was a dealer demo so, in effect, second hand. I did try the usual brokers as mentioned above, though they couldn't compete with the price I got.

Let me know if there's anything specific you need to know and I'll try to help if I can. :)

I looked at the dealer demo's on the MB UK site. there must have been 20 of them around the country. It seems all of these were allocated to dealers by MB, they didn't get to choose the spec themselves. My previous E63 had the Driver Assistance Package including the lovely Distronic cruise control which to me is essential when doing a lot of motorway miles. None of the demo cars around the country had this option, not one of them, and as I couldn't live without it I had to order a new car to my spec. This meant I had to pay a lot more and wait nearly 5 months for it. But I'm glad I did.

Get it bought Robin you know it makes sense

Good points and great to hear. I have the E63 and Estate under consideration perhaps for this year.
I had read some reviews that the ride was a bit fiddly especially on the estate at motorway speeds.
Your 2.7 MPG is pretty impressive but 7-10 not brilliant but partially expected for a very powerful car.
My current car is 17-20 around town , 23-26 motorway and I think it has a 60L tank ! Every journey it feels your looking for a garage !!
66L tank with that engine I can only imagine.

Morning Robin.

I have one of these things now after selling my old grey taxi. I bought it at the end of August though haven't really used it a lot due to a few factors beyond my control unfortunately.

Hello Dave, Thanks for the helpful reply. I hope all is well and the situtaion you alluded o is on the way to be remedied.

Get it bought Robin you know it makes sense

Ha Bruno, unlike you to give such unbiased direct advice mate ! ;)

Hello Dave, Thanks for the helpful reply. I hope all is well and the situtaion you alluded o is on the way to be remedied.

Ha Bruno, unlike you to give such unbiased direct advice mate ! ;)
Happy New year to you and your family mate

I had read some reviews that the ride was a bit fiddly especially on the estate at motorway speeds.

I've found it very sure-footed and confidence inspiring on motorways. It takes a lot to unsettle it. It's also fairly comfortable. No complaints from my 55 year old mother, anyway. Done nearly 2000 miles, nearly all on motorways, in 3 weeks of owning it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom