Anyone able to tell if finance is owed on a car by Reg

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mercmancdi

MB Enthusiast
Car
mercedes E320 cdi sport ,vw Tiguan R line , M B cls , bmw convertible
I know all the history etc but just need to know if any finance is owed on the car I am buying ,
Anyone able to do this by Reg some sites are asking me between 15 and 30 pounds.

I know all the history etc but just need to know if any finance is owed on the car I am buying ,
Anyone able to do this by Reg some sites are asking me between 15 and 30 pounds.

You will need to pay for the HPI check, it’s £19.99 but worth it.

Unfortunately you’re gonna have to pay which is the quickest and easiest way. I usually use Autotrader’s HPI checks and have always found them quite good and you can confirm the VIN to see if there’s any mismatch. I’m sure if you dig around you can find cheaper but won’t be a huge difference.

The last time I bought a car privately, I used Autocheck, who are part of Experian.

You get one check for £14.95 or up to 5 for £19.95, which is handy if you're looking at a few cars as this latter option gives you 60 days.

The alternative would be finding a friendly car sales place to HPI it for you but, as it costs them to use the service, they may pass this cost on to you.

You will need to pay for the HPI check, it’s £19.99 but worth it.
Yes , as long as you follow their directions, you are covered against any claims arising .

It always amazes me that people are prepared to spend £000's on a car but baulk at paying £20 for an Hpi/ finance check which could save them a lot of grief :wallbash:

But that’s the thing once your prepared to proceed then it’s worth
the check ,but if only scouting and not sure then why throw away £20
Glad now I did not pay as I did not
proceed , many times I have helped others with checks I had
Purchased and not used.

By the way the law now states the finance company must prove you knew about the finance on a car before the purchase , if you have a copy of the advert , a receipt from the seller and there address then
it’s very unlikely the finance company can touch the car .

By the way the law now states the finance company must prove you knew about the finance on a car before the purchase , if you have a copy of the advert , a receipt from the seller and there address then
it’s very unlikely the finance company can touch the car .

Where did you hear this? What about if it’s stolen etc? Still well worth doing a HPI

Make sure the HPI you use covers log book loans, many don't.

Where did you hear this? What about if it’s stolen etc? Still well worth doing a HPI

It’s listed on your rights on citizens advice , I knew the cars history,I knew it was not stolen. Even auto trader checks adverts and advises
free if a car is not stolen ,

Log Book Loans still only have to be registered on the loan database if they want to. GREAT!

Worth doing a decent HPI that is insured against them on the day you collect.

Log Book Loans still only have to be registered on the loan database if they want to. GREAT!

Worth doing a decent HPI that is insured against them on the day you collect.

Yes that’s a point ,HPI Check is best done as close to the point of sale as possible.

Reactions: 219

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom