Anyone added extra sound insulation?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TeddyRuxpin

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2x E350 CDI Sport W212s... for a bit
Hi all,

Has anyone had success adding extra insulation? Where did you do add it, which material did you add, and was it worth it?

I have some lying around and considering buying more and putting some in my (saloon) boot, at least.

Cheers!

As part of the audio system upgrade, Comand UK fitted Dynamat sheets to the inside of the doors.

It could be fitted in other areas as well, e.g. under the bonnet (ensure correct material - heat-resistant etc).

I had a go at applying some sound deadening as one of my lockdown projects. I used Silent Mat which is the bituminous type of mat. I applied it in the spare wheel well, under the rear seats and the rear quarter panels. There was already some factory deadening at various points including the rear wheel arches. It certainly seems to have quietened things from the back. Reading up about it you’re really supposed to apply deadening to stop panel vibration and then sound proof foam over the top for best results. There also seems to be quite a difference between materials used for reducing sound entering the cabin, and then materials used for enhancing clarity of audio by eliminating unwanted reflection etc. To be honest I got a bit bored at that point!

Yes .

Silent Coat and CTK Wave Fix .

5b36a92261556_grande.jpg

fe102e0acd0aea8cd46ec954ae521573.jpg

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Probably not quite you expect as a reply, but after shifting some delicate items in my S212 a few weeks back I left a large duvet and a few cushions in the back without realizing. Recently thought that the car sounded generally much quieter whilst driving around. Last week went to make sure that there was nothing left in car before MOT, and sure enough I had not taken the old cushions/duvet out, doh.

Hi all,

Has anyone had success adding extra insulation? Where did you do add it, which material did you add, and was it worth it?

I have some lying around and considering buying more and putting some in my (saloon) boot, at least.

Cheers!
There is an excellent thread here :

Yes used lots of Silentmat in the doors, also took the wheel arches out and did behind. The biggest impact was putting some sound insulation sheet over an around the plastic spare wheel tray.

Oh yes!

I completely stripped out the interior of my sons A class and used Dynamat on every surface I could get to. Entire floorpan, side panels, doors skins, wheel arches, boot area. Its as quiet as an S class now. If I could have got the roof lining out without destroying it Id have done the roof also.

You don't need to blanket cover , just tap out with a knuckle !

It adds so much weight .

2013-05-11201432_zps21775159.jpg

Tap out the most resonating parts and apply.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

3849e98b-ff92-4280-9544-9b6396832296_zps2fdda5d7.jpg

Hi all,

Cheers!
I have recently changed from a 2014 B Class to a 2017 facelift model. There was a significant increase in ambient noise in the cabin. I thought hat I would try to locate the source and after lots of driving up and down the road with a sound meter I decided I had to do something about the wheel well area.

Being a skinflint, (my wife's description), I bought some aluminium coated 7mm high density foam from China.

When it arrived I got out the heat gun to make sure it was OK with heat. It passed my idea of acceptability, reduced to a solid film rather than catching alight.

It took a while to fit and involved lots of pressing down with a wooden wallpaper seam roller, but I got there. The first thing I noticed was the difference simply drumming my fingertips on the bottom and sides of the well made. It was immense.

Reassembled the OEM flooring and tried a quick run up and down the road. The effect was astounding. I repeated the runs I made to find out the source of the noise and had a maximum of 7dB attenuation after fitting the sheet.
The subjective difference was shocking. So much quieter at speeds over 100 kph, it made me question why MB hadn't done this first.

I'm now looking for other areas to try. Any ideas?

Fyi, I borrowed the sound meter and know absolutely bugger all about the technical specs of it, I relied on someone that "knows stuff" for that.

Sounds great. Where did you place it, under the carpet in the cabin? Did you remove all the seats etc?

Edit: sorry, seems like you placed it in the wheel well. How did you do that - from the boot? Or on the back of the plastic liner? Let us know!

Hi Teddy,

It's a B Class so there is a hatch to work through.

I emptied the wheel well completely and coated every available surface before reinstating the original MB bits.

Oggy

Hi Teddy,

It's a B Class so there is a hatch to work through.

I emptied the wheel well completely and coated every available surface before reinstating the original MB bits.

Oggy
One thing I forgot to add, the cost. It came to £8 and took a month to arrive. Less than £5 in Aluminium tape to seal all the joints, just to finish it off.

Oggy

Hi Teddy, I have a 17 plate c200 and I’ve put sound deadening matting inside the boot space.
There is very little factory insulation in this area and it’s made a significant difference.
I stripped everything out of the boot to gain access.
Cant remember product name but got it off a company on EBay, It came in 1.5 metre roll, I found one roll wasn’t quite enough.
Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom