Anyone been on the QE2 lately?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simon

MB Enthusiast
Car
C180 Proper gearbox
I’m thinking about it and wondered if any of you have recent experience? In particular now that QM2 is operational, has QE2 been downgraded at all, that sort of thing.

Thanks for any input.

Not a clue, not my sort of thing. I spent too many years working with people who like cruising, polo and wearing no.1 and mess, to go on a cruise holiday with people who think it good fun to get the old DJ out and ready made ties, I'd rather stick my head in a vat of boiling oil (after a night in the pub getting steamed on bitter and smoking till I am sick).

Back on topic I remember some years ago she had a refit and she was a right mess going to sea as the refit had not finished, it only seems like last year but I bet it was 10 years ago now.

Just spoke to my sister who really enjoys cruising and asked her.

The QE2 is still very much plying her trade, but it is all about horses for courses. If you have never cruised before then she recommends you enjoy a cruise on a lower profile liner just in case the atmosphere onboard QE2 is not to your particularly liking. If however you have cruised before then go for it. She has not been downgraded, but of course the Queen Mary is bigger, better??? etc etc however the Queen Elizabeth still has street credibility and Americans love it!!

Unfortunately the larger type cruising is NO longer the upper end of cruising, I would recommend Cruising

I remember many years ago when we exercised with the QE2 the fact she had a trail of black smoke from her funnel, I mentioned this to my sister and she laughed and said it still has this smoke? To me it is diesel exhaust, and if so diesel exhaust pongs!!!! (reminds me of my military saying ;) ) However I might be wrong.

John

Compared to previous trips on the QE2, it has definitely gone downhill since the QM2 has arrived, the trip I took just before Christmas was no exception.

The cream of the staff have been shifted over to the "new flagship", and the gaps have been filled, by and large it seems, by promotion. While this is no bad thing, the level of service has suffered badly, and it is certainly no longer the special experience it once was. It's still fairly good, but it used to be better.

Unfortunately on some occasions they have also been more or less giving away tickets to fill the ship, this unfortunately means that you end up with the "wrong sort of people" on board (and by god this sounds elitist, but I cannot find any other way to say it). When protocol dictates that the dress code is jacket and tie for a smart dinner occasion (as opposed to a dinner jacket for the formal evenings), you do not pair it with jeans and white trainers!

Bet it was a 'Taz' tie as well ........ :rolleyes:

According to reports, the QE2 will probably be replaced when the Queen Victoria is launched in December 2007. The boat is getting on a bit, but still does it annual world cruise, next one commencing January 2007, and is currently on a world cruise, never won the lottery in time :( looking forward to next year perhaps :D :D

From what I've heard, the current plans are to pension her off to the Mediterranean when the new boat comes online, and takes over the mantle of the world cruise. The QM2 is too big to get through the Panama Canal, and hence cannot do it.

I'll be at the docks in Mid-April waiting for her, I have to collect my grandfather's luggage from on board, for the second time. I'm not sure if it is fate or irony that both my grandparents have died while on the World Cruise (grandmother last year, grandfather this year).

Id stay clear of it at the moment...read in last weeks paper that it broke down :( and ended up having to miss out three stops in the carribbean as a result...seemingly passengers were going mental and when they reached Rio were refusing to leave their cabins in protest..think most people were refunded half the cost of the trip which in some cases was £58000 for a 38 day trip.

DolphiN Tech said:
I'll be at the docks in Mid-April waiting for her, I have to collect my grandfather's luggage from on board, for the second time. I'm not sure if it is fate or irony that both my grandparents have died while on the World Cruise (grandmother last year, grandfather this year).

Sorry to hear that mate, sad reading things like that but in a way seems quite a nice way to go if you know what I mean. Dont know if Ive put that too well but hope you know where i'm coming from.

Simon said:
I’m thinking about it and wondered if any of you have recent experience? In particular now that QM2 is operational, has QE2 been downgraded at all, that sort of thing.

Thanks for any input.

The QM2 is receiving a lot of bad press at the moment, but no doubt there are lots of well satisfied customers.

The Panama Canal is well worth seeing and if you ever get the chance then take it with both hands.

John

Qe2

Hi, as previously stated, shes on a world cruise at the mo, about halfway between LA & Honolulu.

She's back in Southampton on the 26th April, then going to Bremerhaven for some work.

Next sailing from southampton is on the 9th May to do this cruise http://www.cunard.com/CruiseItinerary.asp?cruiseid=2767&LeftNav=Ship&Active=&Sub=cal&OB=QE2&Region=

If you can afford it go for class Q1 or Q2, they have balconies, which is a real plus, nothing worse than A/C when you sleep, plus it helps if you are a 'smoker' (God forbid)!

Just watch out for the Bay of Biscay, it can get mighty rough! :eek: And at best there are nearly always the Atlantic 'rollers', which are not too bad heading south, but on your return north, they usually hitting you on your port beam, not nice, :( But hey, if you enjoy that sort of thing, at least you're doing it in 'style' :rock:

If I had the money spare, (£8,000 - £13,000) :rolleyes: I would surely love to do it before she gets de-commisioned.

p.s. She had a major re-fit in 1994/5

Last edited:
DolphiN Tech said:
Unfortunately on some occasions they have also been more or less giving away tickets to fill the ship, this unfortunately means that you end up with the "wrong sort of people" on board (and by god this sounds elitist, but I cannot find any other way to say it). When protocol dictates that the dress code is jacket and tie for a smart dinner occasion (as opposed to a dinner jacket for the formal evenings), you do not pair it with jeans and white trainers!

i do! well silver reeboks anyway! opps :)

fashion conscious Scumbag? fashion unconcious more like!

Quick update: It was superb:D

I won’t go on about it here but if anyone’s thinking of going and has a specific question please feel free to PM me.

Edit: There's a webcam onboard so you can check where she is, this was also channel 3 on our stateroom TV. http://webcam.princess.com/webcam/QE_bridge.jpg It's saved as one of my favorites.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom