Anyone been to Tunisia in Dec / Christrmas

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vijilants

MB Enthusiast
Car
W205 C43 AMG
Hi Folks,

Thinking of getting away for the Christmas week to Tunisia....anyone been there during this period ?

Basically lookng for somewhere that isn't too cold and is within 3 hrs flying.

Tunisa eh?

Made famous by the ballroom dance of the "Tunisian Tango".
Usually danced by couples after having downed a few drinks chilled with ice cubes made from local water OR eating a salad washed in the same.
If you do go, make sure you take some effective medication to combat this.
You may not need it, but if you do, then god help you.

Yes, I've been at roughly the same time of year.

Tunisia is largely a hell hole imho.

So what makes it soo bad ? come on chaps, spit it out. I don't really want to go there and wish I hadn't.

Well, its a 3rd world country full of litter and rubbish and poor sanitation and hygiene. Its also full of aggressive street sellers and beggars which do a good job of ruining any chance of decent sightseeing.

If you're after a culture change and a bit of an adventure and don’t mind roughing it a bit then you'll be fine. But if you want a weeks pampering in the sun then look elsewhere.

OK.
The place is OK. No better or worse than most spanish resorts, but usually with much less to do. Remember, it is a north african arab country and its not the same as what you may be used to in europe.
Nightculubs are fewer in number and its just less developed generally.
Of course all this may very well be coloured by my own personal experience of the country. I - along with many others - did get really bad bout of dicky tummy. I dont want to go into too finer detail, suffice to say I couldnt leave my room for two days. And I know it may be difficult to believe but it took 3 months for all the symptoms to finally go. 3 MONTHS.
Hence my resolve never to return.
I do know some who have gone and gone the whole 2 weeks with nothing so much as sunburn. But then, I have also spoken to many others who had the same experience as me.
If it was me, given your flight restrictions, I would consider the Canary Islands, Maderia or Southern Portugal before north Africa every day.

Been to Tunisia. I agree with above comments.

Have you considered SE Asia? I spent 4 months backpacking there on my round the world trip a few years ago.

Laos is amazing, the peherentian islands of Malaysia are great. Vietnam is also very nice, Indonesia etc..

list goes on and on..

For Africa i would go with Canary Islands or even Portugal..

Is it just you going or girlie too? they dont treat women very well out there, they just stare at them or grab bits of them, they are classed as second class and are there for blokes pleasure, not good if your a tourist, I would not go back there,

Is it just you going or girlie too? they dont treat women very well out there, they just stare at them or grab bits of them, they are classed as second class and are there for blokes pleasure, not good if your a tourist, I would not go back there,

Myself and the girlie :). Need somewhere warmish, within say 3hrs flying, cultural with no larger louts :)

Last edited:
I had forgotten about this aspect. Even though it was a few years ago, there was a family on holiday the same time as me and they had a daughter who was about 12/13 years old.
They went into the local town (Sousse) and had awful problems with locals touching her. One local man even tryed to buy her for 3 camels (I kid you not) and they had to escape pronto back to the hotel complex by taxi. They flew home early.
Sounds like a tall tale I know , but I swear on my sons life, its the total truth.

Sounds funny now, but they were sh!t scared. Really. The poor girl was in tears. They actually tried to physically tug her away from her parents.
Which is why they went home early.

Still fancy Tunisia now?

Sounds funny now, but they were sh!t scared. Really. The poor girl was in tears. They actually tried to physically tug her away from her parents.

Still fancy Tunisia now?

No, and I never have..:confused:

I believe your tale, it's like that in places. Different ethics and rules.

Better with Maderia/any canary island etc. What about Greece?

I have a friend from Greece and he advised me that it could be quite cold over there for that period.

Eygpt is an unknown quantity as far as I am concerned, however I have a few friends who have been and most said its "OK".
Expensive for what it is, but at least you have some interesting areas to visit.
However, its still north Africa and arab. And as such, I would give it a wide berth.
The Canary Islands would be my first choice.

guys,

We have spent 4 weeks in India (Goa) and tell you what: IT WAS BEST TIME EVER! People are nice, everything is different and we loved it!

Yes, it is not wealthy country but that wasn't the problem.
It is hard to describe, but at least smiles are genuine. And people are friendly...

We are going back!

Cheers
Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom