Anyone bothered/obsessed about depreciation.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Whether you are bothered by depreciation or not, one thing for sure it's it's getting worse which is odd when cars are getting better at least in some respects.

I can't really believe these figures but if they even approach the truth then a retained value of 30% after 3 years is appalling. I defy anyone to pretend to be unconcerned at such a figure.

The 10 fastest-depreciating cars 2020

Persevere through the inevitable Citroens until you get to the MB's

For completeness the 10 slowest depreciating cars.

The 10 slowest-depreciating cars 2020

I think it is a different generational thing....I like cars, my son sees them as an A to B machine which must be classy but is a consumable to be replaced every 3 years.

To be truthful, if we all could afford (or weren't too tight ) to buy a new car every year, all of us would.

If you smoke 60 a day, that's a typical cost of around £6k a year unless you buy your fags on the continent.

That pays for the annual depreciation on some very nice cars after the initial crazy couple of years...

If you smoke 60 a day, that's a typical cost of around £6k a year unless you buy your fags on the continent.

That pays for the annual depreciation on some very nice cars after the initial crazy couple of years...
60 a day is going a bit though.

60 a day is going a bit though.

40 a day is still £4k... that's a sizeable chunk of the depreciation you are setting fire to one way or another.

Between us my wife and I used to smoke 30 fags a day. So at least £15 at current prices. £****wit pa.
Stopped 2 1/2 years ago. I don't worry about 19.8 average mpg from my CLS.
Still got BAT shares though.

@swithin The only thing that puts me off buying a 4yr old car is warranty to be honest. But see the e63s - dropped 30k in 4 months (4k miles) so still got (almost) full warranty. Speaking of DB9 - I put a deposit down for a 4yr old one a few years back and chickened out.

Basically I ended up being sensible - whilst I had the means to buy the car - the no-warranty works scared me. So I thought - given I need to think about it and be scared about unknown costs, I am clearly not rich enough to afford one .... so ended up with an Audi A6 back then ....
With my Range Rover the first owner with his warranty wasted a lot of time taking the car in to get repaired under warranty. By the time I got it, all the gremlins were fixed 😎. It’s the same with most 2-3 year cars I’ve bought. The poor person losing thousands on my car also loses hours in having the new car troubles fixed for when I get it under their warranty. I’ve often been tempted to write to previous owners to thank them for their time in making sure my car is just right for me 👍🏻🤣🤣

Hi, yes of course I enjoyed the 350, the 400 is my third SL in three years. I have really got the bug and am so frustrated that it has not been driven a mile since I got it home. Wales is still in travel lockdown and it's been SORNed since April 1. Hey ho.
Got my new-2-me 2007 R230 SL500 beginning of April and already added 1,500 miles to it😳. The longest journey was the 259 miles taking it home. It’s been amazing driving for mile after mile after mile, looking for a supermarket queue with all people wearing masks but i persevered, regularly.

Those guys are usually the people that think they can play the markets (so it is their failure when they lose). If you buy a new car depreciation is a fact of life and they can live with it.

I wish I could afford to buy a car that could be considered an asset in my lifetime.
I’ve got 2 SL500’s, one is 21 years old and worth more than I paid for it 10 years ago. I reckon I’ll get my money back on the 2007 R230 as it is just too good looking and well built to be worth A-B car money. When all the cheap ones are being bought and run into the ground With poor maintenance the prices will stabilise and rise

Between us my wife and I used to smoke 30 fags a day. So at least £15 at current prices. £****wit pa.
Stopped 2 1/2 years ago. I don't worry about 19.8 average mpg from my CLS.
Still got BAT shares though.

Amateur..... ;) I used to smoke at least 60 / day. We used to be able to get 30 packs and I'd take two packs to work everyday (back in the days when we were allowed to smoke in the office) . If I went out at night it was another 20 or so. I stopped smoking (cold turkey) on a bet with a guy that I worked with in the mid 80s and have never missed them.

Back in the days of high interest rates, I did a calculation for a friend that was a heavy smoker. I worked out what he'd save by putting his cigarette money into his mortgage. He finished the packet he had and stopped smoking that day.

Amateur..... ;) I used to smoke at least 60 / day. We used to be able to get 30 packs and I'd take two packs to work everyday (back in the days when we were allowed to smoke in the office) . If I went out at night it was another 20 or so. I stopped smoking (cold turkey) on a bet with a guy that I worked with in the mid 80s and have never missed them.

Back in the days of high interest rates, I did a calculation for a friend that was a heavy smoker. I worked out what he'd save by putting his cigarette money into his mortgage. He finished the packet he had and stopped smoking that day.
Pretty much the same here. :(

If other car manufacturers adopt the Tesla model where they try to model cars after ipads, I expect that depreciation will be a bigger problem. All they have to do is remotely turn off fast charging or tell the car to consume more battery to force you into buying a new model.

It won't be new, it was born at Christmas making it 6 months and 3k miles old and will cost me 50% of its RRP with still 30 months of manufacturer warranty.
I have fallen in love with the refinement it offers. After spending most of my life at race tracks, the last thing I want is a noisy exhaust and rigid ride.
Don't mind a good turn of speed though.
I'll pick it up on Monday.
Intriguing, do tell!

I'll have one of those 3 year old £18k E53s please, ta!
Yes, I thinking that! Back when E500 were were the sub-AMG model, they were £50k new and still near £30k at 3 years. I had to wait for them to get to sensible money. Could be getting tempted by an E53 soon then! They’re still £40k+ at the moment but mostly under 1 yo.

Whether you are bothered by depreciation or not, one thing for sure it's it's getting worse which is odd when cars are getting better at least in some respects.

I can't really believe these figures but if they even approach the truth then a retained value of 30% after 3 years is appalling. I defy anyone to pretend to be unconcerned at such a figure.

The 10 fastest-depreciating cars 2020

Persevere through the inevitable Citroens until you get to the MB's

For completeness the 10 slowest depreciating cars.

The 10 slowest-depreciating cars 2020
Back in the day I fell in love with the W209 CLK. Imagine my delight when looking through the pages (shows how long ago this was) of What Car, I saw that it was the second-least depreciating car available at the time at 67% of list after three years. Only a Porsche Boxster beat it (70% iirc) and I needed four seats, so it made the decision so easy. Never looked back.

Am I bovvered? Well yes and no!
Being of Scottish decent I certainly don't do throwing money away, but I am more controlled by my love of car technology. It's been my business for the past 40 years and I've been privileged to sample some great examples of it.
Earlier this year I got to sample the latest Bentley Flying Spur and Conti GT. I was deeply impressed the strides forward made in the 5 years since I retired from there.
Now, I'm never going to be in a position to buy a new one of those, however I've worked out a cunning way to enjoy the vast majority of that progress in a car costing about 25% of a Bentley.
It won't be new, it was born at Christmas making it 6 months and 3k miles old and will cost me 50% of its RRP with still 30 months of manufacturer warranty.
I have fallen in love with the refinement it offers. After spending most of my life at race tracks, the last thing I want is a noisy exhaust and rigid ride.
Don't mind a good turn of speed though.
I'll pick it up on Monday.
Looking forward to this...

Shouldn't you be changing your name to Mactease now?? :p
I've been called a lot worse :eek: .....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom