Anyone bought tyres from Costco?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Murff

Car
W211 E280 CDI Avantgarde
Anyone know if it's worth getting a Costco membership to buy tyres, heard they're cheap but obviously depends how much?

Yep, but it's always best to wait until they are doing the additional 20% off deals..

p.s. with costco you always end up buying lots of stuff due to the size of the place (and the trollies are the size of the greek debt) so self control is needed :D

Ha! I know, was a member years ago and always came out with more than I planned to and in massive quantities.

Costco have on occasion special offers on tyres, typically 20% off but sometimes more.

When there is no promotion their normal prices are generally competitive, though they can be easily matched (and sometime bettered) by online retailers such as blackcircles.com, tyre-shopper.co.uk, camskill.co.uk, etyres.co.uk, etc.

Bear in mind they major on Michelin, although they are adding a few sizes from Continental, so the price comparison only works if you compare to Michelin from other outlets.

They used to be cheaper all the time, and had 10/15/20% off sales which made them amazingly cheap. For the last few years they've run month long sales twice a year with 20% off but only if you buy 4 tyres. However you can have two fitted and take the other two away to be fitted later. You can even buy completely different sizes, ie for 2 cars. If you have 2 tyres fitted they will absolutely only fit them to the rear. I had to get the store manager to intervene when they realised my car had a staggered set-up and they wanted to take the new tyres they'd just fitted to the front wheels off again!

I've had quite a lot of tyres fitted for various cars and the Chester branch has always done a good job. However I've seen mixed reports about other locations. As ever, it's just down to the individual, I suppose.

As mentioned in another post above, you do tend to spend a couple of hundred pounds on stuff you never knew you needed when you visit Costco, so if you take that into account, you certainly won't be saving money!

If you call, they'll usually give the price but sometimes they ask your membership number. If needed, post the size(s) up here and I'll get the price for you.

Last edited:
The oil is always cheap there. The dealer I use for my SL servicing (M-B Guildford) is quite happy for me to supply my own oil, so I get Mobil 1 (the recommended oil) at Costco. That alone saves me £60 a year (twice the membership fee).

Good point about the oil actually, may well be worth getting a membership. Cheers guys

Well having spoken to my local Costco, Liverpool, they do not stock the size I need, 245/45/17. Is this a local issue or everywhere?

Have used Trafford Park and Oldham Costo for car and van tyres. Always Michelin and always cheaper than I can source online/locally. Have got the discounted four tyre deal a couple of times and that has been very good value. If I can run Michelins I'll always phone Costco first and then get comparable prices elsewhere.
Have had no (fitting) problems at Man or Oldham, but Oldham did mark an alloy once. They pointed it out to me and asked if they could get it refurbished and could I come back to collect it a few days later. I did and it was perfect. I was happy with the honesty and the quick fix and have been back for tyres since then.

As has been said - bear in mind that you can't book an appointment. Its first come first served so you will mooch around the store to waste time as you wait and end up spending money. It's not as easy as it used to be (to spend money on spec) as generally Costco prices are not as competative as they were a few years back. The recession has seen other retailers reduce margins so you have to be wise to what you should be paying especially on electrical stuff.

Well having spoken to my local Costco, Liverpool, they do not stock the size I need, 245/45/17. Is this a local issue or everywhere?

If it's available from Michelin then they'll order it.

The oil is always cheap there. The dealer I use for my SL servicing (M-B Guildford) is quite happy for me to supply my own oil, so I get Mobil 1 (the recommended oil) at Costco. That alone saves me £60 a year (twice the membership fee).

MB Chesterfield (JCT600) will not allow you to provide oil for your service, apparently it's against MB directives allowing user supplied parts :crazy:

If you have 2 tyres fitted they will absolutely only fit them to the rear.

Because of that I'd never buy a tyre from them as new tyre's fitted to the rear should be avoided IMO, mainly on rear wheel drive cars due to the tread flex on the tread blocks of new tyre's.

Not many places I'd let jack my car up anyway, tyre places seem to be the worst. . .

MB Chesterfield (JCT600) will not allow you to provide oil for your service, apparently it's against MB directives allowing user supplied parts :crazy:

not happy to read that as that's where i'd planned to go to for servicing seeing as we bought from them, might have to stick with MB Derby after all. never had a problem with them & supplying own oil.

i've just asked JCT on their facebook page to clarify...

Because of that I'd never buy a tyre from them as new tyre's fitted to the rear should be avoided IMO, mainly on rear wheel drive cars due to the tread flex on the tread blocks of new tyre's.

Hmmm...I have to say I've never heard that as an issue before. Many performance cars, and indeed many MB's, have a staggered set-up so you have no option to rotate the tyres front to back.

Not many places I'd let jack my car up anyway, tyre places seem to be the worst. . .

Costco use wheel free 2 post lifts.

^^ Another thread full of bluff and puff and no real facts...

Luvin it...:D

not happy to read that as that's where i'd planned to go to for servicing seeing as we bought from them, might have to stick with MB Derby after all. never had a problem with them & supplying own oil.

i've just asked JCT on their facebook page to clarify...

How do you find Derby? (I know, just off the A38 before the comments start!:D) I'm thinking of trying them a try next service (a good friend is a salesman there and says he can get "friends and family discount")

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom