Anyone brave enough to do this to their rear light clusters?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve_Perry

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS350CDI Grand Edition
Click Meh

An Audi TT enthusiast who wanted more from his rear lights :D He turned 'em into LED.

S.

Originally posted by Steve_Perry
An Audi TT enthusiast who wanted more from his rear lights :D He turned 'em into LED.
I'm considering changing mine to LEDs, the new LED s-class taillights and LED traffic lights look amazing, I'm sure the w202 tails could benefit! My plan is to make a pass-through wiring harness for both rear sides which contains the load-compensators, that way I don't damage any of the stock wiring and avoid trouble if the lights look rubbish or the Plod take exception to them. I don't imagine I will be sawing the taillights up though...

Re: Re: Anyone brave enough to do this to their rear light clusters?

Originally posted by Shude
I don't imagine I will be sawing the taillights up though...

So you'll be using the LED bulb clusters that plug into the standard bulb sockets?
I think K.'s recent LED side-lights (city lights) mod looked brill from the pics. I was also driving in London a couple of days back and following a BMW 3 Series, the owner had fitted aftermarket rear light clusters that had integrated LED lights for the brake lights and tail lights, it didn't look homemade. Not something I'd seen before, I've seen plenty of Lexus IS200 style rear lights on 3 series Beemers but these all LED units looked dead swish.

S.

the latest BM`s also have LED lights, ive also seen LED lights on a 202 in my area driving around, but i havent had a chance to pull him up and ask him how he has done it!

Originally posted by Steve_Perry
Click Meh

S.

Some of us have them already :bannana:

Originally posted by RichardM
Some of us have them already :bannana:
That's not really the point here is it?! :p
Originally posted by simonl
This might be useful (it's in the US though):
http://www.formymercedes.com > W202 > LED Replacement Bulbs
I've seen that before Simon, and I was tempted to buy until I realised some of their bulbs are different to the UK, the use of the dual filament indicators being an example. I think the indicators are the same bulbs as the brakelights on the non-USA w202 though, colourless single filament bulbs. The trouble is, do you replace colourless bulbs with white LEDs or do you use red LEDs instead, the white ones might be so bright that they appear white or pink when you brake - not something I want to take any chances with! Same goes for all the other bulbs.

The 3 series has LED rear lights as standard now and many owners are upgrading to them as they are a direct replacement fit and I would imagine MB will follow suit on the C Class next year. Expensive though due to the other bits and pieces needed.

Cheers
Andy

You can get some really cool 'Afterburners' ...

p6.jpg

He's put a lot of effort into those TT lights, soldering HOW many LED's !

Can't help thinking though, it's gonna fail it's next MOT big time.

Surely, bulb positioning, brightness, focus etc are all controlled parameters for vehicle type approval ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom