Anyone changed thier c63 serpentine belt? Help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mark44

Car
C63 Estate Edition 507
To cut a long story short, I'm trying to change my serpentine belt on my c63.

Got a new one from MB, correct part number - pretty much same length.

I'm really struggling getting it over the tensioner pulley - it seems about 1 inch too short, and there is zero give.

Access is very hard with aux fan doing its best to sever my forearm...

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks

Thanks for the link. My tensioner actually looks like a recessed torx - which I dont have a socket for!

Why does he use an allen key in the video?

The allen key is only to hold the belt tensioner from slipping back into place.
Are you sure you are not trying to move the idler pulley that does have a torx bolt.

This video shows in better detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAhS1ShiuTM

Yes! Thanks that's it. My tensioner looks like the one in your link. I thought I needed to loosen the center bolt in the pulley to reduce the tension of the spring, rather than physically push down the large bolt.

Right - time to try again while there is still light!

When you pull up the ratchet, that releases the tension on the belt, so you can then remove the belt with your other hand.
You can use an Allen key or similar as in video to lock the tensioned in the open position, that way you can use both hands to remove the belt, I suppose the Allen key does make the job easier so I retract what I said about not needing to use it.

I think you need a T50, example… Halfords Advanced 7 Piece Torx Bit...

Edit, what year is the car?

Dec

Last edited:
I love this forum!

Thanks for the tips (esp AMGeed). Got it on with just the 17mm ratchet - no allen key as I couldn't see the hole to put it in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom