Anyone else fly RC copter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have one but after a quick fly and too many rotors damaged I decided its not for me. I used to race Rc 1/8 offroad buggy's and managed to get a 1st for a drag race :) Drag as in straight line race, not the dressing up malarky that I do on Friday nights :)

Last edited:
I have a Nitro RC Car, a Hyper 7...

I have a small quadracoptor, but it's not great.

Currently perving over a DJI Phantom 2 Vision + :cool:

I have an indoor helicopter 3-channel, but would like something outdoor one day.

I used to do IC 1/8th car racing a long time ago at Beckenham.

Oooh, hyper 7, love those buggy's I have one and something a little larger both with a nice .28 glow

Nowadays the quadcopter are computer stabilized, as long as you know how to look after and maintain it should fly out of the box without too many crash.

If I have the money I go for DJI inspire 1, for now my custom hex will have to make do :)

heres my Hyper 7

my%20other%20car_zpsz4d9mnup.jpg

Many years ago I used to race in the 1/5th circuit car events. Very expensive and took up alot of time as well.

Regards RC helicopters, tried to have a go but well into the all the gear but no idea camp. It was an epic waste of money and time as I should have had lessons.

@Mark - I bought my Hyper 7 TQ Sport 2nd hand knowing nothing about it.

Thereon, I learned what I was doing. Upgraded it to 2.4Ghz radio rather than the crap FM/AM it came with... Rebuilt the engine, new clutch, brakes, all titanium gear servos, 4 new shocks, shock socks, I upgraded the 3 diffs to limited slip with weighted oils, and a nice JP-3 exhaust, the lot. I spent a fortune restoring it to as new condition, then I had a blast with it, summer ended and it's in a cupboard upstairs where it'll never be used again now as I want to go airborne!

Good exhaust though. I'd recommend it over the stock one.
jp3hc.jpg

I had loads of "hop-ups" on mine also, tried a new 2 gear system with additional disk brakes but it didnt stand the bashing. Changed the clutch's to stronger springs and heavier plates to get it off the line faster. removed the manual starter and used a starting box. replaced all drive shafts and structures with lightweight ally. Also went 2.4 hence the small antenna in the pic. changed all bolts to stainless steel. And finally fitted telemetry, not that I gleaned anything useful from that lol

Many years ago I used to race in the 1/5th circuit car events. Very expensive and took up alot of time as well.

Regards RC helicopters, tried to have a go but well into the all the gear but no idea camp. It was an epic waste of money and time as I should have had lessons.

Just got into 1:5 scale touring car myself. Not a cheap hobby though. Race at Brooklands raceway in Kent. Good fun. Also managed to get a Merc body shell. Those 30cc "chainsaw" type engines do not half shift though, and will hurt if you get hit by one. The hobby is gaining in popularity, amongst the older people like myself.

Neil

BTB 500 has some very interesting RC stuff. He's got threads on this forum.

Just got into 1:5 scale touring car myself. Not a cheap hobby though. Race at Brooklands raceway in Kent. Good fun. Also managed to get a Merc body shell. Those 30cc "chainsaw" type engines do not half shift though, and will hurt if you get hit by one. The hobby is gaining in popularity, amongst the older people like myself.

Neil

I remember Brookland, back then you where only allowed to run tuned 23cc engines. I had an fg comp full race set up with hydraulic discs all round. It was very quick and had alot of modified parts. I remember once spending £500 in tyres which lasted only half a season.

Get hit and you are going to get hurt no doubt. I remember testing one day I was standing on the side of the track. Car lost control and hit my right foot. Finished testing :) then went down A&E result two broken toes. Needless to say I wore steel toe caps after that!

I used to run an FG sport truck, great fun, and large scale power boats even better but expensive, we have a RC helicopter here collecting dust my son has never flown.

I've got a 1/5 fg marder with plenty of hop up parts on it and it flys prob one of the cheaper 1/5 buggies to own but sooo much fun going through the woods and other off road site

I have a quad copter loads of fun for the price and even has a hd camera on it too
Lots of parts available for the inevitable crashes

Yup I've flown r/c for nearly 40 years, mostly fixed wing but some smaller electric helis and have had multirotors for nearly 5 years now.

Various pictures here ... should be public:

Planes Photos by BillG | Photobucket

WOW, I need a Y6 or x8 in my life some point in my life :rock:

Shame my wife is not really understanding nor dumb :bannana:

I love to see custom RC stuff, anyone can buy one off the shelve and wonder why they fly away and back to China. people build with parts truly understand and take necessary steps to have safe flights :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom