Anyone Else Get A Free MS Web Browser Upgrade?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WDB124066

MB Enthusiast
Car
1996 E320 Sportline Cabriolet x 2
They've gone and uploaded a new browser on my lap top automatically and it is a shocker. It flashes when switching between windows, the refresh button is way on the other side of the screen right next to the close button as is the favourites button. The upload status bar is gone and paragraphs disappear when cutting and pasting to/from Word documents.

Anyone else suffering from this? Who's the idiot who designs these things?

How can I go back to the one I had before please & stop the automatic “upgrades”??

Last edited:
Hi
I thought IE 10 was still in beta, why on earth would you want that on a works computer? Doesn't sound sensible to me...:bannana:
Take it to your IT people and tell them to make it go away!

cheers

It uploaded itself onto my personal laptop. Grrrrrr. I want to turn the Automatic Upgrade feature off - is that even possible?? I'm happy with Morris Minor computer technology, really I am!!

I hope I don’t need the set up discs to make it go away.......???

You may be able to remove it via 'Control Panel\Programs and Features' or under 'Turn Windows features on or off' ...in an ideal world.

However, this is Windows... you may need system restore, if you have a recent back-up!

cheers

Presuming that you are using Win 7 then you can uninstall updates by taking the "Windows Update" option in control panel then go into "Installed updates" for an uninstall option.

Thank you very much Gents.

With my very basic computer skills and following your instructions I've found out yesterday it uploaded and installed "Windows Internet Explorer 9 for Windows Vista." Shocking piece of nonsense that should never exist!!

Anyway, I need this off and the nice old one back on please. Then I'd like to stop all these automatic uploads if possible, the machine wants to upload a bunch more right now in fact. Is there a way to stop this and place myself very much in the past as technology moves right on by..??

Regarding getting the old one back, I have the HP restore disks with me & the Windows Vista disks, but doing this will loose a lot of stuff (had to do this once before) favourites and mobile scanner software which I don't have the disks for. Then there will be nothing to stop the machine from uploading all that stuff again as it realises I haven't got all the latest stuff. Is there another way anyone knows about by any chance........??

Sorry to have to ask but I am in the middle of the desert at the moment, void of anybody with serious trustworthy skills.

Leave ie9 installed, but don't use it. Use firefox or one of the alternatives.

Leave auto updates on. Turning them off leaves you open to malware.

Thanks Colin,

Oh goodness, this firefox, is it any different to the one I had. I really don't want any new stuff, it will mess me up at a time when I really do not need messing up - no support here and short on tolerance for new things right now. I do have the complete series of Fawlty Towers with me which is helping to get me by. :):)

I have found the uninstall button and am ready to do it, but then that will leave me with no explorer; yes? Or will it read my mind and put the old one back when I uninstall the new one??

Problem is that " Explorer " of whatever vintage is integrated into the windows system so you can't really get rid of it. Can you use system restore to go back to a point before the update.then switch off the automatic updates. Why not try Firefox or Google chrome as alternative browsers---- you will never go back.

Ah ...
sorry 'assumed' you were on W7 and had downloaded IE 10...:eek:

How do I install or uninstall Internet Explorer 9?

Should reload IE 8 for you

If you want an alternative browser Chrome is far simpler to use than FF

cheers!

ps I can't really recommend turning off Win updates, but you should be able de-select IE 9 so it stops nagging

Last edited:
Right O. I just uninstalled it and as if by magic it put back version 8. God bless you Mr. Gates.
You need to do something about the morons who designed Version 9 though. I'm sure the Epilepsy Foundation will have something to say (and I am not joking), the flashes you get switching between the tabs is shocking to say the very least. The background to the tabs is dark so you can’t read what is written on them. The whole thing has a “Designed In The Third World" feel about it.

Anyway, all happy now. Thank you all :):)

Ah ...
sorry 'assumed' you were on W7 and had downloaded IE 10...:eek:

How do I install or uninstall Internet Explorer 9?

Should reload IE 8 for you

If you want an alternative browser Chrome is far simpler to use than FF

cheers!

ps I can't really recommend turning off Win updates, but you should be able de-select IE 9 so it stops nagging

Thank you very much balge, I'd gone and taken a great leap of faith and did the uninstall before I read your last post, figuring I'd use the work computer if I got disabled. But thank you very much for finding this for me and to everyone else for your advice. Grober, I have Chrome on here already but don't use it - that was my second backup plan, but it has all worked out rather well indeed. Think I'll put the very last episode of Fawlty Towers on now for a good laugh before bed.......:):)

Right O. I just uninstalled it and as if by magic it put back version 8. God bless you Mr. Gates.
You need to do something about the morons who designed Version 9 though. I'm sure the Epilepsy Foundation will have something to say (and I am not joking), the flashes you get switching between the tabs is shocking to say the very least. The background to the tabs is dark so you can’t read what is written on them. The whole thing has a “Designed In The Third World" feel about it.

Anyway, all happy now. Thank you all :):)

I've got to see the flashing of which you speak, it certainly isn't supposed to work that way (and yes, epilepsy sensitivity is part of MS testing).

IE9 works well normally and certainly shouldn't cause you the sort of problems you are experiencing.

I suspect it is actually a symptom of another problem, I'd guess video drivers/hardware most likely or possibly malware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom