Anyone else had a large motor insurance rise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Harrythedog

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
GLC 250 Sport Premium+
Insurance quote for one of my vans up 30% in September and yesterday got a renewal quote for two other vans both up 40%. Anybody been given a higher renewal quote?

If the quote is more than inflation rate go to one of insurance comparison sites. Insurance will try to pull a fast one if you been with them a few years.

Happens every year, call them up and it normally stays the same as the year before when I say I will look elsewhere.

All cars with the same insurer, all have the same renewal date.

Last year for the 3 cars it was £875

This year £1150.

A telephone call quoting the company's on line quote for new customers and it fell to £890.

Until the regulators clamp down on this, it will happen every year. Mobile phone and broadband contracts are being clamped down on (new vs existing customer deals), let's hope insurance goes the same way

Likewise with breakdown insurance...AA ..... RAC. i change every 12 months. Never had to call either, every year the same, quoted price is for new customers. I am a new customer to one or the other.:thumb:

They offer a discount to new customers in year one, they then reduce the discount over the next few years.
At some point the annual renewals should stabilise to around inflation type increases.

Most insurance, mortgage, energy and mobile phone contracts work in a similar way with the exception of life insurance which is often written on a guaranteed premium basis.

My insurance dropped by a third (30th December) . No significant birthday, same address, no change of circumstances. My broker - who I have been with for more than 10 years - sent me a reminder and asked if I wanted to continue cover, I said yes , they sent me the quote and I paid it with a smile on my face :)

My renewal went up 40% compared to last year and on comparison site it was 20% cheaper than I had paid last year. When asked, during renewal cancelation call, for a reason not accepting it, broker was too embarrassed or just couldn’t match their own price so I had to cancel it and start a new policy through comparison site.

Just had my renewal for 4 cars at £830, up £70

20 mins on internet and 10 call and negotiated renewal down to £705. £125 saving for 30. mins work whilst watching TV ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: LXA
Adrian Flux - Down from £360.00 to 378.00
I know that some swear at them but I have had no issues.

Mine renewal went up once and the only change was trading the 250 SWB for a 250 GTO, so I checked on the comparison sites and saved £42 and got a £15 Pizza Express voucher which I gave to my wife for her birthday. Not bad for for 3 hours work.

Adrian Flux - Down from £360.00 to 378.00
I know that some swear at them but I have had no issues.

.....well, just the one perhaps? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom