Anyone else had wobbly wing mirror, w210?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spock500

Car
S124
At first I thought it was the glass but closer inspection revealed the whole pod moves about half inch backwards and forwards.

You can still push them back and although they almost click back theres still a gap - spring gone?

wobblymirror1S5001394-1.jpg

wobblymirror21S5001394-1.jpg

X2

I have the exact same issue - for the drivers side only - n/s is ok.

its only started to 'wobble' over the last two months
Since i have had the car, one thing is that when the mirors are opened from the folding position - the drivers side one takes a bit more time - as if it needs lubrication and never fully opens - so i have to push it a little foreward (i also have to have the drivers mirror positioned at the widest/open angle possible.

same question - spring gone and will cleaning and greasing fix it?

Last edited:
I had this on one of my mirrors when I got the car, some plastic lugs had been snapped off inside so it would not clip into place. Managed to fix it by drilling a small whole in the 2 bits of plastic and then wiring them together. That was 3 years ago and have had no problems with it.

It was only obvious which part had broken after taking the covers off both mirrors.

Check the metal fram the mirror pivots on isn't broken. They have a weak spot and either the strong spring or if they are knocked breaks it.
When fully open the mirror should be held rigid by a clip.

Check the metal fram the mirror pivots on isn't broken. They have a weak spot and either the strong spring or if they are knocked breaks it.
When fully open the mirror should be held rigid by a clip.

Cheers DM

Will have look to morrow - if the sun's out ( no snow up here :p :D ) - and maybe post some picks
to get the mirror cover off - you push the mirror foreward, release the spring and the cover slides off - it this correct?

Fold the mirror backwards then release the spring, open the mirror a bit and slide off the cover.

Did you see the spring steel clip.? The bit of frame that breaks is directly below there so the pivot point moves inwards stopping the mirror clipping in.

I had a quick look inside but couldnt see anything obviously broken, will pop the spring and slide the cover off -

Thats a handy vid Rog :)

tad chilly today but had a peek by folding the mirror back

cant see anything broken - will try again when the weather changes

for info, looks like the mirror in the vid link is non-folding - there's a wee bit more stuff in the folding version - could see the 'C' spring/clip though

Had a go at sorting this today, here is what I found (followed utube vid, very good)

Looking from underneath the mirror has a half moon shaped gear which sits inside the main housing. When you manually pull the mirror flat with the vehicle its controlled by this mechanism creating friction to pull against, it also keep the mirror 'locked' in the open position.

On both of mine the half moon shaped gear has play, the housing really needs to come apart to find out why but couldn't see an easy way to do this.

aS5001543.jpg

The difference between the two pics is the amount of play -

aS5001544.jpg

I don't think the play is really going to matter as the motor just keeps on driving until the frame clips in.
Check the spring clip is working.

Seemed to have sorted themselves with all the opening and closing, I guess they had been stuck in that position for a while -

Also did all four window jams, would recommend this as the amount of grit and dirt built up was incredible, its a wonder the windows actually worked - left in could cause scratching of glass.

If they are not too expensive will buy four new ones as easy job once done - will do a quick 'how to' if anyone is interested.

My dealer gave me a tip which works. Fold the wing mirror. Then press it back as you operate the mechanism to unfold it. Tight when released. Bingo!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom