Anyone else stayed at Cliveden House?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scotth_uk

MB Enthusiast
Car
Renault
WOW!

What a hotel!!!!! If any of you want a night away at somewhere rather prestigious, I can heartily recommend the Cliveden in Berkshire. Costs a lot, and is worth every penny.

Local cuisine is almost 100% french though, so make sure you have the right palette. ;-) I managed to find a steak on the menu at the Waterside Inn (great place to take out a second mortgage to pay for dinner).

Last edited:
I live about 2 minutes from there, you should have popped in for a cuppa!! :)

I have been there for dinner twice, and it is *very* nice. There was a Brabus ML 7.3 V12 parked in the car park :eek:

Rooms range from £500 to £2500+ per night. I've been in the Prince of Wales suite (£2500+ p/n) and it's very nice :D (Not stayed there mind, my father used to look after all their plumbing and heating)

Last edited:
Added to say the grounds are owned/managed by the national trust, and the hotel is owned by a consortium including Bill Gates.

Matt,

Thought you might have been local, but sadly I forgot to take your number.... :-( Wanted to ask for a dinner recommendation. Ended up down in Bray. Got lost and ended up in Monkey Island.

They had 2x of the new Rolls Royces, a few Ferraris and some cool Astons there yesterday. We tried to hire one of the Phantom's, but it was the drivers day off. Wifey was not happy.

The squirrel helicopter was available starting at 980 per hour, but I didn't have enough with me. ;-)

Last edited:
The Fat Duck at Bray is supposed to be excellent.... Heston Blumenthal is an incredible chef but it is very expensive - but to a man of your means Scott, i'm sure its nothing ...... ;)

Slightly cheaper is the Fat Duck Brasserie which is in Bray Marina, nice setting and more reasonably priced.

www.fatduck.co.uk

The riverside at Cliveden, is the prettiest on the lower Thames in my opinion, Cookham lock is just upsteam and worth a wander to on a sunny day ...

Lots of nice places to eat, including the Fat Duck in Bray as well as Waterside Inn, and Mokey Island. You made a good choice :D

Mercedes have their M-Class days in the grounds of Cliveden twice a year, not been to one though. The best bit is Spring Cottage by the river, you can hire the *entire* cottage, which became Queen Victoria's favirote stop for a cup of tea :)

It only costs £4,000 for two nights, and includes the use of the steam boat and butler :D :D

Spring_Cottage_River.jpg

Last edited:
We actually spent a little too much this weekend. :)

Had not researched the local eating venues enough, and for some reason thought that the Waterside Inn was going to be cheap and cheerful (lower cost than the Cliveden's awe inspiring menu). Realised that it was all going pear shaped when there was a man in a suit valet parking my car. ;-)

Sat down, had a mild heart attack reading the menu, and then thought 'bugger it' - you only live once! Had an awesome meal with some great wine and laughed my ar*e off. Staff were great, along with the food

The Fat Duck and Waldo's at the Cliveden are next on the list.

Matt - cottage looks nice. Use of the steam boat? The mind boggles!

marc777 said:
Its leased by Von Essen Hotels

http://www.vonessenhotels.co.uk/

It is indeed lovely

Marc

The Ston Easton is down the road from me :) I've been meaning to try the place out (as it has a golfcourse and club house) I will report back when I do But they look like very nice venues to waist tonnes of cash unlike the Savoy :( £512 for a crap room and overpriced breakfast :( I got caught out one night and needed a place to stay :( won't do that twice :mad: )

havent stayed there but it looks lovely....if you are in the market for another 'jaunt' in a years time when your wallet has recovered i recommend Dunsten/on Hall on the outskirts of Norwich. Very similar affair and some lovely cars sneaking about too. Bad point would be someone scraping the bumber of my benz in the car park and doing a runner. Cost 200 to respray. Hotel didnt have cctv on that part of the car park - they have security patrols instead.

Stayed there for my graduation a few years ago....lovely place. Prices start at about 300 a night iirc.

Maff said:
Lots of nice places to eat, including the Fat Duck in Bray

Fat Duck is great. We had a very good meal but other have loathed it because thay went for "Degustation" menu where such wonders as Snail Porridge, Egg & Bacon Ice cream and Toothpaste Sorbet (Colgate treated with liquid Nitrogen!) were included. Sample menu below

Now Heston as got his stickies on the pub next door to the Fat Duck think we will see what that has to offer.

NITRO-GREEN TEA AND LIME MOUSSE
ORANGE AND BEETROOT JELLY
OYSTER, PASSION FRUIT JELLY, HORSERADISH CREAM, LAVENDER
POMMERY GRAIN MUSTARD ICE CREAM, RED CABBAGE GAZPACHO
JELLY OF QUAIL, LANGOUSTINE CREAM, PARFAIT OF FOIE GRAS

SNAIL PORRIDGE
Jabugo Ham, shaved fennel

ROAST FOIE GRAS
Almond fluid gel, cherry and chamomile

SARDINE ON TOAST SORBET
Ballotine of mackerel ‘invertebrate’, marinated daikon

SALMON POACHED WITH LIQUORICE
Asparagus, pink grapefruit, "Manni" olive oil

POACHED BREAST OF ANJOU PIGEON PANCETTA
Pastilla of its leg, pistachio, cocoa and quatre épices

WHITE CHOCOLATE AND CAVIAR
MRS MARSHALL’S MARGARET CORNET
PINE SHERBET FOUNTAIN

MANGO AND D0UGLAS FIR PUREE
Bavarois of lychee and mango, blackcurrant sorbet

CARROT AND ORANGE TUILE,
BAVAROIS OF BASIL
BEETROOT JELLY

SMOKED BACON AND EGG ICE CREAM
Pain perdu, tea jelly

LEATHER, OAK AND TOBACCO CHOCOLATES
PRALINE ROSE TARTLET

A selection of wines by the glass to accompany this menu

Last edited:
Clivedon is indeed a sumptuous place. Been there a few times myself and have to admit its wonderful.

As some of you may know and recall Clivedon has a particular association with the Profumo affair. The swimming pool is where John (Jack) Profumo (Minister for war) is alledged to have cheated in a race with Eugene (Yevgeny) Ivanov (Russian attache). It is also the scene of many a 'party' hosted by the then owner Bill (Lord) Astor. Spring cottage was leased to Dr Stephen Ward by Lord Astor who let him have it for the princely sum of £1 per year. Sadly, Stephen Ward was made the scapegoat in the whole affair when it became public knowledge that a). Profumo had lied to the House and b). Had shared a bed with Christine Keeler who had also shared a bed with Mr Ivanov. Ward, Ivanov and Mrs Profumo (Valerie Hobson) have passed away. Mr Profumo lives on in Hampshire having devoted his life to charity work.

For anyone considering a visit its well worth it for a special occasion or just for the hell of it (if your pockets are deep). That said, its fairly cheap to wander the grounds without going into the house!

deep pockets

If you really want to splash out try Blackpool Pleasure Beech........no change out of £100 quid for 5 hours entertainment for 2 people £20 quid per hour x 5 days :crazy:

WOW! Thanks for posting Matt. Been discussing heading back there with the wife, but it should now be almost impossible to get in.

Time to cheat by declaring that I am the Olympic ice skater with the same name. ;-)

Had dinner at Cliveden on Saturday. Still top-notch and thoroughly recommended to all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom