Anyone encountered any ridiculous road closures / traffic systems?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In the south if Italy last week - fast moving dual carriageway with 90kmh speed limit - outer lane was closed due to hedge trimming on the central reservation - no hard shoulders - so the van towing the advanced warning sign for the outer lane closure was parked in the middle of the inner lane around 100 yards prior to where the outer lane closure starts.

Mainly the whole of London is one big building sight :mad::eek::devil:

That damned bike race in Surrey caused no end of grief on sunday.

I think the route was ill thought out. I had to divert nearly 20 miles to get home.
Dorking was a nightmare. The M25 was solid from Leatherhead round to the M3 aswell!

Im a cyclist myself and im getting fed up with cyclists dominating the roads and riding two abreast. Still they arnt as bad as horses on the road!!!!!

I nominate the centre of Rushden, Northants. The locals seem to have confused it with Silverstone, Northants. I tried to find and visit the Transport Museum on Saturday, but after being forced repeatedly round a long circuit by aggressive traffic and with lousy signage and no clear parking or even places to pull in to consult a map, I gave up and went for a walk in Bedford instead.

Well the big one in this part of the country was the main road into Wivenhoe near Colchester so that a cycle path could be built,they directed all traffic down a D class road buses as well and when they met big vehicles coming the other way they smashed the edge of the road and so the crazies in charge of this shambles made the D road one way but the buses had to go even further around to get to Wivenhoe,a pub caught up in this road closure went bust because this went on for months the road is open now but they are still building this cycle path it must have cost millions.

The whole of Northampton really.

There's some lunatic in charge of the roadworks department at NCC.
Either that or their mate owns the company doing the [pointless] work all over the place.

And yet some potholes have been there for two-three years now, I swear the car manoeuvres around automatically, without me even touching the steering wheel...

Bike race in the SE on Sunday - totally ridiculous. If cyclists want to race, they should use a race track.

Last edited:
The trouble is, we're all looking at the problem from the perspective of a car or motorcycle rider who simply wants to use their own personal transport to get from A to B in a timely fashion.

If you were to look at the problem from the perspective of a crimplene trouser-wearing, yoghurt-knitting, beardy tree-hugger (i.e. those in charge of the transport network at your local authority), the very fact that anyone is able to use their own personal motorised transport is anathema, and it should therefore be made as miserable as possible an experience in order to discourage it.

Once you understand that, it all slots into place.

Another one in Coventry, the A45/Broad Lane junction. Removed the traffic lights to put in a roundabout.
With traffic lights.
No improvements in traffic flow but much confusion and accidents on at least a weekly basis.

And yet another...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom