Anyone ever dealt with www.tradepriceplates.co.uk?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Dazzler

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
Smart ForFour AMG Black Series Night Edition Premium Plus 125 Powered by Brabus
http://www.tradepriceplates.co.uk/

I quite fancy buying a private plate, and this dealer has advertised one I like the look of for months now - probably close to 12 months to be honest.

I tried contacting them a three times over that period, and only received one response, which has put me off a bit.

When I've bought them in the past they've either come with the car they're registered too, or direct from the DVLA, never a dealer, so I'm a little cautious.

I'm thinking of taking the plunge - but for reassurance wondered if anyone has ever dealt with this dealer before.

The very first thing you have to do is make sure the number plate is genuinely for sale. So many dealers on the internet advertise plates they have no access to and what problems this might cause if someone actually hands money over I can only imagine.

I bought both mine from regtransfers without any problems at all, they were both Irish plates and took about 4 weeks to complete. Since then however I have seen dozens of dealers offering my number plates for sale, many with a buy now option on the internet site.

Anyone clicking "buy now" and handing credit card details over for my plates is in for a surprise and probably a fight to get their money back.

The only realistic advice I can give you is to ask if the number is genuinely for sale and then it's a matter of wether you believe him and trust him with your money or not. If he has it on retention then you should have no problems but most likely someone else already owns the plate and the dealer will take your money and then try negotiate a deal that gets you the plate and turns him a profit.

So you are saying a dealer has access to find the owner of certain number plates? Very worrying.

kikkthecat said:
The very first thing you have to do is make sure the number plate is genuinely for sale. So many dealers on the internet advertise plates they have no access to and what problems this might cause if someone actually hands money over I can only imagine.

I bought both mine from regtransfers without any problems at all, they were both Irish plates and took about 4 weeks to complete. Since then however I have seen dozens of dealers offering my number plates for sale, many with a buy now option on the internet site.

Anyone clicking "buy now" and handing credit card details over for my plates is in for a surprise and probably a fight to get their money back.

The only realistic advice I can give you is to ask if the number is genuinely for sale and then it's a matter of wether you believe him and trust him with your money or not. If he has it on retention then you should have no problems but most likely someone else already owns the plate and the dealer will take your money and then try negotiate a deal that gets you the plate and turns him a profit.

This practice is against the law. Having just completed setting up our own credit card processing service and internet merchant account we were made aware that in order to take any money from someone's account via a card, you MUST have the goods in stock to sell. The only way around this is to make sure the buyer knows, possibly in some small print somewhere on the site, that they are buying a service whereby you will seek to obtain the goods for them. Otherwise it is technically fraud!

Most plate traders are factors, and many take your money and then source the plate [often from the DVLA who you could have dealt with].

Always check with the DVLA as many are listed there too but direct.

Thanks all for your help.

This particular registration is an ageless one (ie not one of the DVLA pick-a-number style), that I've never seen listed with any other agent. On the one occasion I got a response, they said they owned the plate.

Sounds an expensive business tieing up all that capital in registration numbers, and hence being slightly sceptical!! Also thinking it may help me negotiate a discount.

They answered the phone!! The chap I spoke to owns it (owns them all), and it's actually still assigned to a car that no longer has an MOT. He said it would take a couple of weeks to MOT the car, before the reg could be transferred.

If I want to transfer direct to a car, allow £80 on top of the price, if I want to put on retention allow £105. He said to make an offer if I'm interested, so I may call back with a cheeky offer.

I'm still not convinced though - the sceptic in me remains - pondering why hasn't he already put it on retention, rather than leave it on a car with no MOT that will probably get more costly to fix and re-MOT as time goes by.

Anyone know if the fact it's on car without an MOT is likely to cause any complications or risks?

Bobby Dazzler said:
I'm still not convinced though - the sceptic in me remains - pondering why hasn't he already put it on retention, rather than leave it on a car with no MOT that will probably get more costly to fix and re-MOT as time goes by.

Anyone know if the fact it's on car without an MOT is likely to cause any complications or risks?
Is this the number you dialled?

P Wexton. 01242228622. Wellscot House , Haywards Road , Cheltenham , Gloucestershire

This is the number on the home page of Tradeprice plates?

They are down as Estate Agent

Regards,
John the curious

glojo said:
Is this the number you dialled?

P Wexton. 01242228622. Wellscot House , Haywards Road , Cheltenham , Gloucestershire

This is the number on the home page of Tradeprice plates?

They are down as Estate Agent

Regards,
John the curious

Cheers

The very same. An estate agent!!?? :crazy:

I just Googled 01242228622, and it seems they're a Motorbike & Scooter Dealer in Cheltenham too!!

Maybe that's where the registration numbers come from old motorbikes, and hence the reasons there's no MOT? Maybe sells the reg and restores the bikes.

Anyone know if theres a time limit before an un-MOTd car/motorbike keeps it's registration number for before it is re-assigned?

Bobby the curious too

Bobby Dazzler said:
If I want to transfer direct to a car, allow £80 on top of the price, if I want to put on retention allow £105.

There should be another £25 on top as DVLA charge for change of nominee. Unless the seller is prepared to swallow the cost of this himself.

Alfie said:
This practice is against the law. Having just completed setting up our own credit card processing service and internet merchant account we were made aware that in order to take any money from someone's account via a card, you MUST have the goods in stock to sell. The only way around this is to make sure the buyer knows, possibly in some small print somewhere on the site, that they are buying a service whereby you will seek to obtain the goods for them. Otherwise it is technically fraud!

I accept what you say is true and I do not have enough knowledge to say otherwise but the fact remains that my own personal numbers are for sale at several other dealers most with a buy now option.
One even has it listed as "our in stock plates"

Bobby Dazzler said:
Thanks all for your help.

This particular registration is an ageless one (ie not one of the DVLA pick-a-number style), that I've never seen listed with any other agent. On the one occasion I got a response, they said they owned the plate.

Sounds an expensive business tieing up all that capital in registration numbers, and hence being slightly sceptical!! Also thinking it may help me negotiate a discount.

DVLA sell non prefix plates as well at their auctions.

Bobby Dazzler said:
Cheers

The very same. An estate agent!!?? :crazy:

I just Googled 01242228622, and it seems they're a Motorbike & Scooter Dealer in Cheltenham too!!

Maybe that's where the registration numbers come from old motorbikes, and hence the reasons there's no MOT? Maybe sells the reg and restores the bikes.

Anyone know if theres a time limit before an un-MOTd car/motorbike keeps it's registration number for before it is re-assigned?

Bobby the curious too
Estate agent and motor dealer (motor bikes) all you need now is to be told the number is for an MP and you'll have a full house. :eek: :eek: :D

My 'old sergeant' always told me to trust car dealers, estate agents etc ;) ;)

Good luck,
John

kikkthecat said:
I accept what you say is true and I do not have enough knowledge to say otherwise but the fact remains that my own personal numbers are for sale at several other dealers most with a buy now option.
One even has it listed as "our in stock plates"

I had a plate advertised with just 2 agencies, Registration Transfers and National Numbers but I got approached by British Car Registrations to sell my plate. Not sure where they got my details from but unless they have access to DVLA records I can only assume that the agencies share information about the sellers. I did actually sell via BCR in the end as they managed to get me more for my plate than I had it advertised for from the other 2 agencies :D

I have taken both our private plates off our cars over the past year. The initial reason was the fact that as my wifes was very distinctive and stood out it was a safety issue. Wherever you went or wherever you parked, and where you lived was open to every nob out there....especially if you cut someone up and peed them off. As my wifes number was spelt a womans name it was obvious to any potential lurking sex beast who could have possibly stalked the underground car park where she left her car.....As I have also got a bit wiser and grumpier in my old age I am also starting to think what the hell is the point of them ?..they are a bit pretentious arnt they? ...is there really any need for them ? :)

petef said:
..they are a bit pretentious arnt they? ...is there really any need for them ? :)
No... It must surely be personal choice and each to their own. Mind you it does help if someone drives like an idiot and the registration number is easy to remember :D Not that this applies to yourself.

Regards,
John

Dieselman said:
DVLA sell non prefix plates as well at their auctions.
They do, but only those that have not previously been assigned. The one I'm thinking of has been assigned - albeit now on a car without an MOT!!

I heard somewhere - maybe mbclub - that if you express an interest in a previously unassigned registration number, it can sometime appear in a future auction.

Anyone know how you can find out if a non-prefix/suffix registration number has been assigned already?

petef said:
I have taken both our private plates off our cars over the past year. The initial reason was the fact that as my wifes was very distinctive and stood out it was a safety issue. Wherever you went or wherever you parked, and where you lived was open to every nob out there....especially if you cut someone up and peed them off. As my wifes number was spelt a womans name it was obvious to any potential lurking sex beast who could have possibly stalked the underground car park where she left her car.....As I have also got a bit wiser and grumpier in my old age I am also starting to think what the hell is the point of them ?..they are a bit pretentious arnt they? ...is there really any need for them ? :)
I know where you're coming from. I have personalised plate that it seems everyone notices and then recognises from that point on. It's incredible that on the day I started in a new company several people asked if it was my car. Happened the other day too - 13 months on - so it's not ideal for keeping a low profile.

There's some dull people about out there. Can you imagin taking that much interest in a registration number and the car it's attached too? I bet these spotters share their sightings with other odd-ball plate spotters in an online discussion forum. Would never happen here!! ;) ;) :D

glojo said:
No... It must surely be personal choice and each to their own. Mind you it does help if someone drives like an idiot and the registration number is easy to remember :D Not that this applies to yourself.

Regards,
John

Thankyou John I knew you would have faith in my driving :D ....And your'e right it is personal choice and if you want want one you should get one........Just one more reminder of an incident where a previous work associate finished work very early one afternoon without permission ( before home working was an option ) only to be spotted by one of the senior managers . He was only spotted as the manager said he couldnt miss his number plate....!!!!!!!!!!....and dont even consider havin an extra matital affair.....:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom