Anyone ever sold a car on ebay?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam230K

MB Enthusiast
Car
German oil burner
As the title states... i've always used thames valley or autotrader.... but i haven't sold a car for about 4 yrs now so, is ebay the way to go?

What kind've fees do they charge? say if i sold it for £3000?

Any experiences anyone would like to share?

eBay is full of timewasters. Probably a 50:50 chance that you'll get messed about in some way, not to mention loads of idiotic questions etc. It does however get a good deal of interest though normally.

I'd start with Pistonheads - free to advertise (upload loads of pics to Photobucket then embed them) and more 'enthusiasts' rather than wasters.

eBay is unfortunately a necessary evil for some things. It used to be good 5 years ago, don't really like it anymore if I'm honest. Hardly use it as a result.

Will

Yes I've sold a few cars on ebay, it's worked pretty well and got a bit more than I would have done in a typical private sale as on a couple of occassions a bit of a bidding war started!

Post loads of pictures and be honest with your descirption, also worthwhile listing a phone number for any queries. I typically list a Pay as You Go mobile no, that way I know that any calls are about the car and I don't give out my private mobile no. Also only accept PayPal as payment for the deposit (wouldn't recommend it for the whole value for the car).

Can't recall how much it cost in fees but it's based as a percentage on the final sale price.

I put my last car on eBay as a BUY IT NOW it was sold in 30min and a guy drove up from London ( I am in Manchester) the same day and arrived at 10:30pm and handed the cash over there and then I could not believe my luck. I honestly thought it was to good to be true, but it wasn't..so fingers crossed you will have a good experience.

I sold my C250 and E300 estates on e.bay. Rceived a fair number of enquiries and the first person who came to my house bought the car on both occassions.
As stated by previous posters, post as many high quality photos as you can, provide a full and honest description of your car. Use correct grammer and check your spellings, it does make a difference.
I personaly photograph the car outside of my house,this tells buyers Im not a dealer and provides reassurance Im not a scammer although I do obscure the No plate.
I keep my car immaculate anyway, but spend a full day preparing it, as far as using cotton buds in the vents, removing all seats and shampooing the carpets and headlining. Make sure its got a new MOT, if it might not pass, you shouldnt be selling it (or declare the fact), make sure its got tax so a buyer can drive it away immediately (insurance can be done over the phone)

All pretty basic really, but youll be surprised how many people dont bother..and dont sell their cars.

Good luck

I hate selling through eBay, it only really works with really old worthless snot. With anything decent you always get messed about. As Will said Pistonheads is a good way to start and then I'd move onto Autotrader as that will always get the car gone if you try and price it so it appears on the first page of as many possible search options.

I hate selling through eBay, it only really works with really old worthless snot. With anything decent you always get messed about. As Will said Pistonheads is a good way to start and then I'd move onto Autotrader as that will always get the car gone if you try and price it so it appears on the first page of as many possible search options.

Thats the main reason I dont use Autotrader. The first two or three pages are full of ten year old cars with one mile on the clock. The rest have 27miles, 123 miles, etc. if people are willing to lie and deceive just to get my attention, what else are they fibbing about? No sale to me Im afraid.

I have sold several vehicles via ebay without a problem. There are a great number of messers out there but there are also a good deal of genuine buyers as well. One thing to remember is that if you offer paypal as means of payment you will get clobbered for those fees too!

I have sold approx 10 cars in the last few yrs through eBay as well as having bought some too.

fees flat rate in classifieds or auction list for something like a fixed fee upto a cap..

cant remember total numbers.. but defo way to go.. auto trader etc are expensive and bring in less viewers... as others say, lots of messers looking for the cheapest deals.. whilst others who genuinely use it to find a clean decent car.. of which there are many

I sold Mrs D's previous car on ebay 5 years ago and it worked out well.

The big advantage is the ability to make the advert as 'good' as you want it to be - with as many pictures as you could want, as much space for detail as you want, and you can pretty much control the formatting to be exactly as you want it to be.

With Autotrader, your advert is a few words and a photo unless you pay megabucks...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom