Anyone familar with Porsche Boxsters?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peterg1965

MB Enthusiast
Car
2019 Audi Q7, 2018 Mini Cooper S, 2016 Porsche 718 Boxster S
I have to say that I have never considered a Porsche before, but, having spoken at length to a Boxster owner last week and having poured over the internet over the past few days, I think I am now a fully signed up Porsche fan!

Following the demise of the CLK55 two months ago and having set my sights on an M5 as a replacement, the M5 ‘dream’ has faded away. Sublime car and engine but I think the running costs of a 3 – 4 year old car, as well as the buying cost, will be crippling to me. Head rules over heart and I have parked that idea. My thoughts did turn to a Z4 Coupe, I sat in one last week and I liked it a lot. Z4M running costs seem to be high and the Z4 3.0si seemed to fit the bill for me, until I sat in a Boxster!

I have looked at three Boxster S cars today and driven two of them. I was hugely impressed; this impression was helped by a bit of research beforehand which seemed to reveal manageable running costs and a reputation as a very well built and reliable sports car. The Cayman would be even better for me, as I do not have a garage, but they still command prices that I am not prepared to pay.

Anyway, if I go down the Boxster route it has to be a 3.2 ‘S’ , if I bought a 2.7 I would be forever looking at the ‘S’ and saying I should have got one! The colour – it has to be black or a dark grey. A little education on the t’internet gave me a ‘foundation degree’ in Porsche ownership! – How many different options are there!! I found three cars that were local, had the kind of spec I was looking for, and went to view today.

The first was this one:

Photo063.jpg

box2.jpg

box1.jpg

Auto Trader UK - PORSCHE Boxster 3.2 S

Beautiful car! Spec is OK. The colour was a solid black (not metallic), it had not been prepared that well and would benefit from a good detail and polish, there was a bit of dulling and swirls on the paint on the bonnet. I simply loved the sports seats (all three cars had them), red seat belts too which compliment the black leather and bodywork, low miles – about 6000 miles per year average – 3 owners. The 19” sports design alloys are amazing and suit the car perfectly. Negatives were some marked alloys (he said he would fix), the rear tyres were Bridgestones and the fronts Michelins – all N1 rated Porsche tyres though. Crest embossed leather seats. It had been serviced once, no problem, but it was due a Major service in December (spark plugs, belt check etc) - £900 minimum I guess. 3 owners but the last for three years. I drove this car in the limited confines of the industrial estate which the trader operated from. It felt great and looked fantastic, but I wouldn’t buy it without a Porsche 111 points check.

The next:
box4.jpg

Auto Trader UK - PORSCHE BOXSTER 3.2 S 2DR 1 OWNER HIGH SPEC FACE LIFT MODEL

Equally as good, same 19” sport design alloys, impeccable service history – recent major service at Porsche – but it looked like it needed a decent valet/detail – i am fussy and the wheel arches and underneath lacked a bit of care and attention. One owner, 39,000 miles and decent Michelin PS2s all round. It looked a little more ‘lived in’ inside than the first car – the Porsche mats were very worn (a hole in the drivers one), though the alloys were spotless. It has xenons and the sports seats. For the screen price he would put it through the local Porsche dealer 111 point check and buy a 12 months Porker warranty (I later found out that he would not be allowed to do this under the condition of the new Porsche used car warranty – i could do it though (as a private owner) if I bought it outright first - but woulod have to put right anything which was highlighted from the inspection). Anyway, it looked great, I was put off by the highish miles and the lack of a good detail, the front of the bonnet revealed the miles (stone chips etc).

The last car was this one:

Auto Trader UK - Porsche Boxster 3200 cc 3.2 S

Photo065.jpg

Photo064.jpg

I was hugely impressed by this OPC in Bolton. Some staggering beautiful cars in their showroom. Anyway, the Boxster S was an 05 plate model and was presented in an impeccable condition – I could not fault it. The bonnet and wings had been resprayed (I was told) and the metallic paintwork was gleaming. The alloys were the standard ‘S’ 18s with Michelin PS2s all round. Although I prefer the 19” sport designs this car still looked fantastic on the 18s. I thought the spec was pretty spartan but was proved wrong. Extended leather, alu pack, sports seats, PASM, upgraded hifi enough to keep me happy! I went for a drive in this one – a longish one and was massively impressed with everything – speed, acceleration, drive, noise, comfort and feel. The sales people were also very professional and courteous although I was discretely pressed for a sale – it wasn’t going to happen today and I told them. This was the most expensive car, but it had the benefit of the 12 months Porsche warranty and the impeccable presentation – if it had 19” sport designs I expect I would have lost all will power!

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but bottom line is that I am now a Porker fan! Would appreciate views/comments on Boxsters from anyone familiar with them!

If running costs are important, Warranty Direct ran a survey a few months ago on the upkeep or repair costs of used cars and the majority of the most expensive models like Mercedes etc came in around £400 to £450 per repair.

Porsche were way out in front with an average repair cost of £750.
That was not main dealer prices either, they would be eye watering I imagine!

Russ

Peter there is a problem with a gearbox shaft or a engine balance shaft m not sure witch one, from memory out of 4 boxsters people I know owned 2 had it fail and the out of warranty one was well over £1k at an indie.

Its vERY common so should be on a forum somewhere - sooo get a warranty ;)

They look lovely BTW

I thought long and hard about an "S". Infact I really wanted a 4.5 Chimaera but my other half does not like TVRs one little bit. So we went Boxster hunting, but were not that impressed with the marque. They only gave a 2 year warranty, and not 3, when new (that may have changed now) and so as I was looking for a low mileage car around two years old it did not inspire confidence. Then I noticed quite a lot of bad feedback on various sites about engine failure. Apparently the blocks failed on some 3.4s because it was said they were over-bored 3.2s. You would have to look this up as I am typing this from memory and my info may not be accurate, but there were problems.
So, we got the SLK350. Just as quick, if not quicker, better looking IMO, and no fabric roof either. Oh and one other thing there is no "hate/envy" thing with the SLK as there reportedly is with Porkers!:)

A mate of mine had one but not for long as he complained that it was just too uncomfortable to drive as a daily driver.

He's only 5'9" too so it wasnt like it was just the cabin size.

A mate of mine had one but not for long as he complained that it was just too uncomfortable to drive as a daily driver.

He's only 5'9" too so it wasnt like it was just the cabin size.

The 987 is apparently slightly larger inside than the previous 986. It felt really good in the short drive I had, not too claustrophobic (although that in itself is like a home from home to me!).

Peter there is a problem with a gearbox shaft or a engine balance shaft m not sure witch one, from memory out of 4 boxsters people I know owned 2 had it fail and the out of warranty one was well over £1k at an indie.

Its vERY common so should be on a forum somewhere - sooo get a warranty ;)

They look lovely BTW

Not heard (or read) of that issue so will investigate!

I thought long and hard about an "S". Infact I really wanted a 4.5 Chimaera but my other half does not like TVRs one little bit. So we went Boxster hunting, but were not that impressed with the marque. They only gave a 2 year warranty, and not 3, when new (that may have changed now) and so as I was looking for a low mileage car around two years old it did not inspire confidence. Then I noticed quite a lot of bad feedback on various sites about engine failure. Apparently the blocks failed on some 3.4s because it was said they were over-bored 3.2s. You would have to look this up as I am typing this from memory and my info may not be accurate, but there were problems.
So, we got the SLK350. Just as quick, if not quicker, better looking IMO, and no fabric roof either. Oh and one other thing there is no "hate/envy" thing with the SLK as there reportedly is with Porkers!:)

I sat in an SLK200K the other day at the MB dealer (black with sport pack) whilst the GL was in for more recalls. It felt and looked good, and there are decent finance offers too - but it isn't a Porsche if you know what I mean.

the engine issues are these (not technically minded so not sure if accurate!):

1. IMS failure: this is the intermediate shaft -- when it fails when engine is running at any sort of speed, engine is kaput. Later 3.4 engines have stronger shafts which should be better. Well known problem. Seems to affect infrequently used cars. Also apparently, once engine is past 40k miles, you should be OK.

2. RMS leaks: rear main seal -- oil leaks can be problem. Does not cause mega headaches. Usually a good idea to change when clutch needs changing.

That's pretty much it from the engine point of view.

No common gearbox issues.

The Boxster is superb car. I have driven 600 mile stints in a day in it many times, and have emerged fresh.

As for the handling, steering feel, road holding and balance .. no Merc comes anywhere close.

You have to drive it to appreciate it.

It's a wonderful car. And with 2 boots (260 litres - unaffected by the roof's position), a much better summer touring proposition than the SLK.

I have had mine from new.

Done about 12k miles.

Brakes are astonishingly fantastic.

Very comfortable. And very fast.

It comes alive in the corners.

I have done 2 long trips to Europe in it:

Welcome to BoXa.net

http://www.boxa.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=40910

The best car I have ever had.

Last edited:
Having had both the 986 and 987 Boxster S I would say go for it if you have another everyday car. Go for the new auto box its very nice.

Good luck.

For 3 years i was waiting for the right moment/right car to get a Boxter and i did a awful lot of reseach and looking at cars.
In the end i bought a older S/L for the same money after changing my mind overnight. I do not regret it for one moment.
Some of the reasons why i changed my mind were

The canvas roof.
I saw too many women driving them very slowly.
I saw too many men driving them badly very fast.
I seemed to see as many Boxters around as Mini's, (but obviously did not.)
I became aware that i was becoming embarressed telling people i was trying to buy a Porsche.
I do not like the image of Porsche drivers.
The back/boot of a Boxster is quite plain.

P.S. I love the inside, the dials, the seats, the engine and the front, (especially on the newer models) are fantastic to look at.
I also know the (230) SL is classed as a middle aged Man's car but i am nearly middle aged :p

I saw too many women driving them very slowly.
I saw too many men driving them badly very fast.

I don't understand how these observations can affect your driving experience of a Boxster. Did you manage to drive one?

The back/boot of a Boxster is quite plain.

I know what you mean, I call them "push me/pull me's"
No offence to any Boxter owners, I like them really!

Russ

I don't understand how these observations can affect your driving experience of a Boxster. Did you manage to drive one?

I really enjoyed driving the cars but i must admit that all of my driving has always been in and around London, i am not that good a driver to really get the thrill/experience/chance or have the ability to drive a "sports" car the way it would want to or feel it should be driven.

When buying cars with several engine derivatives (2.7 & 3.2S) I like to familiarise myself with the key mechanical differences. As it would be all to easy to simply stick a 3.2S badge on to a 2.7 to significantly increase its value and sting an unsuspecting punter.

On a 4 year old convertible car there could be a big difference in the roof condition, garaged vs. non-garaged cars. So I'd check over the fabric carefully.

Great choice of car Peter.........happy hunting.

Last edited:
I became aware that i was becoming embarressed telling people i was trying to buy a Porsche.[/QUOTE]

Love it:D

Lynall

As a former Porsche Owner, and I had a few, (924 Turbo, 944 Turbo, 928S2 and drove lots of 911s) just be aware of servicing costs. Great cars that they are without question, if you like a firm ride, back in 1986 -1993 I never came out of my local Porsche dealership without spending £500.00 at least, ever. :doh: And that was like 20 years ago.

Yes great cars, fond memories, but expensive to repair when they go wrong. (Think AMG) A clutch on a 944 all that time ago was £500 fitted at the main dealers. Similar amount for a head skim and valve guide replacement. If you are buying a pre owned car, they need to be right up to date with FPSH, any gaps walk away. They tend to be driven shall we say enthusiastically. Probably stating the obvious here but do the research on the cars history before buying which I sure you will do.
If you are buying new then you have the safety net of the Porsche warranties.

The only other thing, (though times may have changed), was how many electrical parts such as motors and switch gear was exactly the same as fitted to VW. You can save a mint if you are a DIY sort of bloke and do a bit of research before spending at the dealership.

I wish you luck :thumb:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom