Anyone fancy joining the mbclubuk hillclimbing team?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

guydewdney

MB Enthusiast
Car
906 Sprinter 313cdi
Anyone fancy joining the mbclubuk dragracing team?

I thought, talking to wleg a few mins ago - that we need a team exercise...

So - there are enough people on here high up enough in companies that might like to sponsor a hillclimber car...

I have a car - a 1972 mercedes /8 (aka W114 saloon) currently being fitted with a 2.8 dohc M110 engine (185 HP as std, and was fitted to this chassis)

Its stripped, so its very light.

It was listed, in 1968 when it came out, as being 'the best handling car in its class bar a Maserati'

Double wishbone front suspension, semi trailing arm rear, separate dampers etc. It has a manual 4 speed box, i have a limited slip diff (from a SL 107 - same bolt pattern, not sure on ratio but its a V8)

Hillclimbing is the cheapest form of motorsport, and the 'lax-est' (or should that be laxitive inducing...) ;) - allowing all sorts of fun.

so - im after a tem - i need:-

a driver / pilot
bucket seats
A roll cage made
polycarb sheeting for the windows
help building it
General parts sponsorship (hoses / pipes / brakes etc etc)
? a tow trailer (but i'd like to keep it road legal for a laugh) - I have a volvo estate as a support vehicle / tow car for longer trips (local ones i'd like to drive to)
in return fame and fortune to the winners, and thrown to the lions for the losers... LOL

The car is in a slightly messy but very well stocked garage near Hemel Hempstead, all tools availible..

Whos up for it?

<confession - I need someone else to help me on this as I work better with someone pushing me to do it.. and I cant drive for toffee...>

Last edited:
hillclimbing is a bit of a missnomer title - it rings of mud and forests - but it isn't..

Imagine a twisty turny steep drive up to a country mansion - you start at the bottom, and nail it up the hill - timing is against yourself.. a bit like drag racing / sprinting but with turns...

http://www.ukmotorsport.com/uk_speed.html

http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=129&i=7630

etc...

c'mon - thrashing the hell out of someone elses car doesn't appeal to anyone? :crazy:

I can't help with sponsorship, my mechanical skills are usless and I have no racing experieince apart from a few timid laps around the Nurburgring!

However, I would love to be involved even if only to spectate at events you enter.

You and your garage are local enough, so I can fetch coffee and wipe blood sweat and tears if you want!

it does Guy - really it does :bannana: but wrong end of the country for me :(

What events do you intend to do so people know where you are going

R2D2 said:
What events do you intend to do so people know where you are going

Think "we" have to get the car built first!

too far away from me really for any form of real comittment but I would have loved to be involved - good luck and if I can be of any assistance during the build process let me know - I'll load the tools into the car and head up there for the odd day

Andy

guydewdney said:
c'mon - thrashing the hell out of someone elses car doesn't appeal to anyone? :crazy:

Oh Yes it does !!
Have done a bit of circuit racing half a life-time back in FF1600. (Some bloke called Mansell kept winning).
Tend to be working most weekends.
I think you really need someone younger and quicker. (Pammy might say a lot younger!..I got that in first :p )

I would be quite willing to help and as I'm only down the road in Hoddesdon it makes it easier.
My mechanical skills are o.k. but I'm damn good at making tea and coffee. :D

excellent then...

I didn't post up which events I would do - as there is no reason not to make it country-wide - so peeps like pammy and the northern krew can have a go / get involved / fall about laughing..

I'm off to Germany today for a wekk looking around the car factories (VAG, MB, Opel etc) and drinking beer and eating Bratwurst, but any and all enthusiasm is welcome - mechanical incompetants are welcome as well - some jobs require brute force / going and getting things / research / boiling water ;)

So - who can we con into giving us stuff? Anyone good at blagging stuff / persuading companies to donate things? Maybe throw a charity angle into it?

Discuss....

Current setup - 185 section tyres on 15" rims (iirc) - whats the std offset of a W114?
Engine - M130 - but have two M110 engines with D jetronic to bolt in - will the gearbox from the M130 (2.8 sohc, carb) fit the M110 (dohc FI)? If not - what gearbox will fit? 190's (w201) iirc had the same engine... Dampers / springs? what will fit? can we lower it? with what? Better brakes from another MB?

Guy

I may be able to put in some hours in the workshop guy - but family life dictate that it could only be on an ad-hock basis. I wouldnt be able to commit toa anything too regular.

Great idea though.

You should speak to DorianT about Hill Climbing ..... I think he's a bit of an expert :)

Sounds like a fun project Guy - sadly I've got no time to make any contribution at the moment, but good luck with it!

S.

I know there's a hill climbing event held not far from me at Harewood :D don't know anymore than that tho :(

Guy - you should try and get yourself along to the gtg next weekend - would be a good chance to natter about this ;) :D

back off holiday - cant sleep... (its 3am... :eek: )

so - anyone talked to their boss / themselves about 'sponsorship' yet?

anyone mumbled to anyone about days to come over and take a look / laugh at the idea?

if not - then heres your two week (ish) notice.

MEET at the A41 services (theres only one) on the McDonalds car park, nearest the petrol station (usually empty). Jcn 20 M25 next saturday (16th Oct) morning at 11 am (nice gentle start :D) ). here - at the 'motel'

Nothing needed at this point - just pens / paper / willingness to participate / digi camera ( :eek: )

I would love to assist in the build but for two reasons I can't.

A) too far away
B) already helping Lotusmark2 in his project.

Hang on a mo.........Lotusmark2 has an RAC race licence, Need a driver? Give him a shout, you never know?

pammy said:
I know there's a hill climbing event held not far from me at Harewood :D don't know anymore than that tho :(

We (TRackrod Motor Club) organise and run an event at Harewood. I think it's in conjunction with some championships and gets a good attendance. Details on the link Trackrod Motor Club - Hill Climb

Best thing to do with getting a team together is join your local motor club (you'll have to be a member of a club to get a licence. Why not do a shared entry, then you can have some fun too!

Last edited:
I have a National Race B Licence so will give you a hand with driving as long as it does not clash with my championship next year (or you could enter in the same events and I will drive the cars back to back (hmmm that would be fun) :devil:

Happy to pass the spanner/leatherman/dog ?

Need to talk to the other company partners, but will probably be able to sort out some kind of sponsorship and coffee drinking skills.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom