Anyone fitted a Harmon/Kardon drive+play unit?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ajs37

Car
2016 B180 1.6
Hi all - I have been curious about these since they were first produced (2005/6?) - i bought one last week, on impulse, at a price that allows me to assuage my curiosity, without feeling that I have wasted a lot of money!

Anyway - I have plugged it in and it works very well - the display unit is very clear and the control stick feels very positive - it controls and charges the iPod (a classic 160Gb) with no problems at all.

Just thinking about how it could be installed in a C180k avantgarde saloon (w203) - the display could go in the 'ashtray' in front of the gearstick - ok - the gearstick would obscure the display when in the park position, but should be ok to view when driving - although it would mean taking your eyes off the road to see what is playing - (I normallly use 'shuffle', so it's not much of a problem)

the control module and ipod can go into the glovebox (aux input into Audio 20 is already installed there), which just leaves the control stick. I am not keen to drill holes into the nice brushed aluminium console! I suppose it could sit in the 'cup/coin' box until needed - but how to attach it to the console? velcro? not strong enough?

Does anyone have any experience / ideas about this? - I'm quite happy running wires under the console / from the glovebox etc - I just dont want to permanently mark the console, by fixing the control stick with screws!

(btw - I am aware that the MB Ipod control system is an option - but it is about 15 times the price of this kit)

thanks for reading - and any advice!
Cheers
Andy

I had this system and its the best for what it does... full control..

The double sided tape that comes with the kit is extremely strong.. I had mine mounted on the dash to the right of the cluster... neat and tidy..

and the control stick was mounted under the indicator stalk area..

I had this system and its the best for what it does... full control..

The double sided tape that comes with the kit is extremely strong.. I had mine mounted on the dash to the right of the cluster... neat and tidy..

and the control stick was mounted under the indicator stalk area..

thanks - I hadn't thought about mounting the control stick there - I'll have a look tomorrow!
Cheers
Andy

Got one in the Jeep-The display fitted perfectly in the ashtray. There is a previous post about the HK if anyone cares to search it out.

How does this plug in and where do you charge your ipod from it?

I've been thinking I've an 80gb Video ipod that doesn't get much use (in fact was looking at swapping for a 8 or 16gb touch as I don't need the space)

Thing is if it was easy to plug in and use in the car then I would.

Currently use a Belkin holder / fm trasmitter gizmo

I've fitted one to my W203 and struggled with where to site all the components. I ended up:

Putting the display in the ashtray, the control box in the centre console armrest cubby hole (the larger one).

The control knob I just stuck to the left of the gear selector (used velcro as like you I don't wish to mark any of the trim). It is tight for space here, the base just touches the chrome surround of the gear gate. I don't have any pics of the install but could take some if you wish.

I fitted it to my Avantime a couple of years ago. Control is outstanding, but I had to replace the display having had it purloined by a hooded rapscallion one Sunday at 6am. He must have imagined it one of those newfangled satellite sextants they're all after these days.

How does this plug in and where do you charge your ipod from it?

I've been thinking I've an 80gb Video ipod that doesn't get much use (in fact was looking at swapping for a 8 or 16gb touch as I don't need the space)

Thing is if it was easy to plug in and use in the car then I would.

Currently use a Belkin holder / fm trasmitter gizmo

You can plug it into a cigar lighter or hardwire it.

The ipod cable charges the unit as well as linking it to the control unit.

It's a nice bit of kit and they're pretty cheap to get hold of now. Hope this helps...

Do you have a picture...

Sounds good

How does it talk to the speakers? is it still through the FM?

That's the one, but it's cheaper here:
http://www.bigpockets.co.uk/product.php?product=GRADEA096

Mine will connect through the aux input - there is an FM module available as an option - or you could use a third party one
Cheers
Andy

I fitted it to my Avantime a couple of years ago. Control is outstanding, but I had to replace the display having had it purloined by a hooded rapscallion one Sunday at 6am. He must have imagined it one of those newfangled satellite sextants they're all after these days.

must have been a bit simple to think that it was a satnav! - still - thieves aren't always that smart are they?
One of the reasons for putting the display in the ashtray is that I can close the lid on it when I'm out of the car
Cheers
Andy

Got one in the Jeep-The display fitted perfectly in the ashtray. There is a previous post about the HK if anyone cares to search it out.

thanks - I do seem to remember a thread some time ago - i have searched for it -but I must be using the wrong expression (or it has been deleted?)
Cheers
Andy

My Unit arrived

Back from work poped outside to see it all working, as was concerned about if it had an FM transmitter (which it said was built in I just wan't sure)

All seemed fine I just need to lan where to put it all and how to hide the wires...especially if I use the cigarette lighter.

My question when I turned the unit off, the display and control know went off but the ipod stays on.

Using the cigarette lighter it must be powered to always be on (as I didn't have keys in) but if I leave the car for a few days ipod plugged in it will keep it in?

does this mean I have to manually turn the ipod off each time? no major problem but I was going to hide the ipod out of sight once I figure out where.

Neat unit and for £25 great buy?

Thanks

i think the ipod continues to charge even when car is off... very minimal draw.

The FM transmitter works well but you will get interference. The best way is if you can hardwire it in..

How can I hard wire the Unit to my Audio 10?

is there a way? or do you mean hard wire the unit to car.

Thanks

How can I hard wire the Unit to my Audio 10?

is there a way? or do you mean hard wire the unit to car.

Thanks

Not sure about the audio 10 - does it have an AUX input like the audio 20? You won't find it on the front of the unit - it's normally a case of plugging in an adapter to an existing audio feed and running the cable into to glovebox. Dead easy on a w203 with Audioo 20 - but like I said, I don't know about the Audio 10
cheers
Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom