Anyone going to miss engine noise from 2040?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonecho

Car
W205 C200 petrol
OK I know it was announced a few days ago that all cars manufactured in 23 years time are going to have to be electric but I was thinking that I will miss the sound of the combustion engine. Cars like the C Class diesel have been criticized for their gruff sounding engines but is a silent ride apart from wind and tyre noise something people here are looking forward to?

If this goes ahead, then there will not be any new vehicles being produced... I will undoubtedly be owning a 2039 C63S for 10-15 years after 2040..

Abs

The 700 HP Ferrari hybrid of 2054 will not be silent.

If all vehicles are electric then I expect a false noise to be emitted/built in from a pedestrain Safty POV.

It is not just the noise......the way a V12 or even V8 responds and sends tremors through the shell when you blip the throttle still pleases me.

Suspect most manufacturers will be scaling back soon after 2030 and by the time we get to 2040 choice will be limited.

I'll most likely be close to deaf anyway.

I'd prefer to die under the wheels of a Ferrari or Maclaren hybrid rather than a Prius though...

I think I had better set up a laptop with the necessary accelerometers and recording gear
so that tactility packages can be sold to the souped up milk float set. Sending the signals to the car's suspension control systems, it will be a piece of cake to stream at a very modest monthly subscription a full simulation of anything from a model T to a Miura.
Elon, marketing opportunity here, wanna lend me a Tesla for evaluation and development??

Hardly progress is it??? lol

progress.jpg

I wont miss the noise of a diesel thats for sure. A V8 or V12 petrol exhaust sound will be missed for sure. We will have to go and live in another country after 2040.

Last edited:
It will be a different world in 2040 with driverless cars that sound like milk floats. Who would want to spend a small fortune on an expensive Mercedes just to sit in the passenger seat? Will the politicians and manufacturers be taking the fun out of owning a car?

Supposedly Formula E cars are significantly louder than BTCC.

If I had to choose if cars should be louder or quieter right now, I'd go for quieter without doubt. To me a loud exhaust is no different to a yoof blaring out drum'n'bo||ox through open windows, they're both noise pollution.

OK I know it was announced a few days ago that all cars manufactured in 23 years time are going to have to be electric but I was thinking that I will miss the sound of the combustion engine. Cars like the C Class diesel have been criticized for their gruff sounding engines but is a silent ride apart from wind and tyre noise something people here are looking forward to?

But it didn't say that, hybrids are not being banned, and it didn't say that only electric cars could be sold.

Technology by 2040 will have moved on considerably from where we are now, don't expect ICE/car manufacturers to just lie down and accept what the government of 2017 have said.

I read that hybrids will also be banned. If you think about it they seem to spend most of the time with their engines running. I think the rule applies to new cars only built after that date.

Internet says:
"Initial reports outlined the ban to include everything with an internal combustion engine, but it's been clarified that hybrids and plug-in hybrids will not be affected."

I will make sure to collect proper V8s before I'm too old to drive them and they are banned.

My understanding was that it didn't apply to hybrids, and that Toyota had asked for clarification re hybrids after the government announcement and this was confirmed.

I would wager there will be zero emission ICE of all fuel types well before 2040. The government of today have to be seen to be doing something to meet air pollution level targets, so it's an easy out to do what they have done.

Who knows what effect us leaving the EU will have by then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom