Anyone gone from E-Class Estate to C-Class Estate?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When I cannot decide I get the option as a second car so as to "not burn my boat" so to speak, that why we have 4 cars between mrs and myself, each has a purpose within our daily life as follows:-
Slk (mrs's hair dryer on sunny days)
A180 (1off 2 4 door cars we have so supper grandkid carrier)
Citroen C2 converted to a van with only 2 seats (used for the 3mile commute to work as it cost £30 a year to tax and does 60 to gallon round town)
Then there's the big Outlander 4x4 for the long runs and occasional floods and snow, Just too big for daily trips around and parking in Sheffield.

I am totally with you on that one.

I would be very comfortable owning multiple cars. I think two per person is minimum.
Problem is, the tax, insurance and servicing.

I'm toying with the idea of not changing the E Estate, and buying myself an old 190e to pootle around in.

I was thinking of about £1500 but have seen some for up to £10,000.
World's gone mad.

I went from S210 to S202 and back to S210.

The C Class is noticeably smaller in all respects. So if you need size the E class will always be best.

Love it when people say a car is too big for Cornish country lanes. Essentially tractors, cattle lorries and many other large items go down them, so size wise it won't make any difference as you'll have to reverse no matter what when incurring such vehicles.

My mother changed from a w203 to a e320 cdi as she didn't like how small it was. I think the s211 is a far superior car and isn't worth changing, even against a w204.

If I compared them, I think the c class is too small for a daily for what I'd want, taking the dogs out = boot very cramped. Having passengers, cramped as my mates are 6ft plus generally. Engine choices are ok.

E class does it all aswell as my Range Rover but the e class is easier to get in and out of and is a bit quicker.

As a driver I find the c class a tad crashy and small up front. I struggle to put my knee somewhere as a passenger and driver.

Last edited:
Love it when people say a car is too big for Cornish country lanes.

Essentially tractors, cattle lorries and many other large items go down them, so size wise it won't make any difference. My mother changed from a w203 to a e320 cdi as she didn't like how small it was.

I think the s211 is a far superior car and isn't worth changing, even against a w204.

And many a large motorhome I expect.

Love it when people say a car is too big for Cornish country lanes. Essentially tractors, cattle lorries and many other large items go down them, so size wise it won't make any difference as you'll have to reverse no matter what when incurring such vehicles.

You're right of course. The size is probably psychological. It is a long car though, but I guess just a hard/easy to park as a c-class version.

Wasn't picking on Cornwall - Norfolk's even worse.

kdh said:
You're right of course. The size is probably psychological. It is a long car though, but I guess just a hard/easy to park as a c-class version. Wasn't picking on Cornwall - Norfolk's even worse.

I wasn't taking offence, plenty of people say it. Was just pointing it out so that you don't sell a great car to replace it with inferior for that reason

I went from a 2002 C220 Avantgarde to a 2003 E220 Elegance and found the E to be a more refined car overall, quieter, the engine was not so intrusive, and the ride more compliant ride, smoothed out the lumps and bumps much better, less road noise, and generally more comfortable all round.

It felt like a big step up in terms of feel and build quality and the interior was much better than the C class, everything was much nicer to touch if you know what I mean.

The C class will handle better if that's what you want.

Cornish lanes are designed to look like they have nice big soft fluffy hedges that will cuddle and caress your bumpers should you ever snuggle up against them when executing a three point turn or be avoiding an oncoming juggernaut.

Those naughty Cornish people, camouflage piles of very sharp, very solid boulders behind fluffy looking bushes just so that they and hibernating creatures, can wake up to laugh at the unsuspecting, in their nice shiny Mercedes as they hear the inevitable crash, crunch, tinkle.

That's another thing I like about my car - scratches on every bumper.

It's very liberating. I remember when it was new (to me) and in mint condition, I was nervous of the hedgerows and the car park park dings etc.

One holiday in Cornwall or Norfolk is all you need to get your feet back on the ground. Saves a fortune in car care products, too.

I am totally with you on that one.

I would be very comfortable owning multiple cars. I think two per person is minimum.
Problem is, the tax, insurance and servicing.

I'm toying with the idea of not changing the E Estate, and buying myself an old 190e to pootle around in.

I was thinking of about £1500 but have seen some for up to £10,000.
World's gone mad.

I did exactly that with my W211 E in 2004. I bought a 190E for £850 and used it for the daily commute and for ease of parking in a 1970s multistorey, keeping the E for pleasure drives and longer trips. The plan worked really well, except for the part where I sold both. That 190E would have been worth £4k-£5k now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom