Anyone got a CD of drivers for a Dell Latitude D600 ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Howard

MB Club Veteran
Car
2018 C63 Wagon / CLK430 / A150 / VW Pink Floyd Golf Cabriolet
Hi all ,

Angelas laptop died the other day , hard drive packed up. Anyway , i have put a new drive in it , and managed to load XP home onto it , but i don't have a CD with the drivers on it , so nothing else works , and i can't connect it to the net ...

Even if i did , i looked on Dells site and there are a hundred drivers for it ... :rolleyes: i have no idea which ones we need. You know how computer minded i am !!

Does anyone by any chance had a driver CD for a Latitude D600 ?

Pretty please ? :eek:

Go on to the Dell website and search drivers by 'Service Tag' that way you will get the specific and most up to date drivers for your exact specification laptop.

In theory you shouldnt need any with xp?

I take it that it cannot 'see' the ethernet port?

If not, try it manually through the add new hardware wizard. I have a homebuilt PC and had to 'find' my port.

What's a service tag ?

Tried that Karl , no joy ...

I have everything you might need for a D600.

Show me a screenshot of Device manager so I can see whats missing and I'll get you the driver.

As others have said, you can look up the service tag # (written on a whit sticker underneath and in the BIOS) and download the driver assuming you know what device is missing. IIRC, on the D600 there are acouple of things Windows cant load without the driver. One is Bluetooth and the other is the sound card IIRC and then you'll be needing the Ethernet controller.

It'll be a broadcom driver.

Broadcom

Wifi driver is broadcom on a Pentium M and an intel on a centrino model.

Last edited:
Not got one on this that i can see ....

Sp!ke ,

I can't get a screenshot at the moment , as the Dell won't connect to the net , and my new one hasn't got the software installed yet ...

Device manager is showing a '?' on Other Devices

and a question mark and a big yellow exclamation mark next to :-

Ethernet Controller
Multimedia Audio Controller
Network Controller
02Micro SmartCardBus_Reader
PCI Modem
Video Controller ( VGA Compatible )

Everything else that i click says it is working properly ...

Shall i drop it round tomorrow ? ;)

Thanks again guys !

Last edited:
If your seeing the yellow ? agaist the ethernet then you can deffo get it working with the built in drivers.

It took me the best part of an evening to get XP to 'see' it. just keep trying every possible option.

Right , this is good news !

I have got the Broadcom driver installed , so now i can connect the Dell to the net ...

However , i can't find what the names of the other things are to even begin to look for a driver ....

We're getting there chaps !!

This forum is just great isn't it , there's nothing that can't be sorted out on here !!

:bannana:

Just one thing left now showing a yellow exclamation mark ...

02Micro SmartCardBus_Reader

Any ideas ?

Laptop Service Tag is CHVH91J

Ok wireless card is installed now , but it now says ..

Windows cannot configure this wireless connection

If you have enabled another program to manage this wireless connection , use that software .

I don't think i have ...

When i click refresh network list , it just flashes up the above message :confused:

Ok wireless card is installed now , but it now says ..

Windows cannot configure this wireless connection

If you have enabled another program to manage this wireless connection , use that software .

I don't think i have ...

When i click refresh network list , it just flashes up the above message :confused:

it sounds like it has installed the dell wireless utility, if you look in the system tray you should see another icon (probably like a signal strength bar) open that up and look throughout its options and look for something that says something along the lines of 'allow windows to manage network connections', then the windows wireless client will start to take control.

This is great!!

Killed the Dell wireless connection , but the Windows one isn't finding anything in range ...

It is also saying in network connections , that the Wireless Network Connection is Not Connected and is FIrewalled ...

Any ideas ?

I'm gonna owe you a beer at the next GTG mate !

H

i take it there are definitely wireless networks in range? It sounds like the wireless is installed correctly, if you right click on the wireless network connection (where it says 'Wireless Network Connection is Not Connected and is FIrewalled ') it should give you the option to enable or disable, is it giving you disable? (as in the wireless is enabled)?

have you downloaded the intel wireless driver or broadcom wireless driver?

Was it the UK version or US version of the driver (your router might be using a non US friendly channel)

I also recommend installing the Dell chipset driver for your D600..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom