Anyone got a cheap garage seal idea?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tobyd@callnetuk

Hi,

It's getting colder and I'm looking to improve the sealing on my standard up and over garage door.
Has anyone an effective and inexpensive idea of how to improve the draft proofing?
Thanks Toby

Well, mine was supplied with rubber seals that fit into a channel on each edge. Is there such a channel on your door?

The problem with garage doors is the wind comes in all round the door, not just the bottom.

I tacked a strip of thick black neoprene to the bottom of my garage doors. Stiff enough to keep the draughts and leaves out, yet sufficiently pliable to bend when needed.

The problem with garage doors is the wind comes in all round the door, not just the bottom.

I don't know how you could deal with that on a conventional up & over door. Anything at the sides would interfere with it opening.

I have a Clopay (pretty well the standard garage door in the US) sectional door which I got from B&Q years ago but they don't seem to be sold in the UK anymore. That slides almost vertically in the opening and then the guides press it against rubber edging on the top and sides of the opening - works very well.

I don't know how you could deal with that on a conventional up & over door. Anything at the sides would interfere with it opening.

I have a Clopay (pretty well the standard garage door in the US) sectional door which I got from B&Q years ago but they don't seem to be sold in the UK anymore. That slides almost vertically in the opening and then the guides press it against rubber edging on the top and sides of the opening - works very well.

See post 3.

After a bit of tinkering I have added a rubber lip to the lower half of the door frame inside. I have done the same for the upper half but attached that to the door so it moves inside when the door goes up and over.
I'm just left with a 1.5cm gap between the bottom of the door and the concrete floor.
Anyone any experience of the brush type excluders or would a rubber lip be better?

Could you fit a threshold strip (timber) to the floor? Although it could be a trip hazard.

Another point is that for the air to come through with any speed there has to be a through-draught. Make sure all other doors and windows in the garage are also draught-proofed to prevent this.

I'm just left with a 1.5cm gap between the bottom of the door and the concrete floor.

What about using one of those rubber floor channels for hiding cables inside ?

That should deform enough to make a good seal at the bottom.

As long as the sealing round the door is good enough to keep out the rain I wouldn't worry too much about drafts entering your garage as some air movement won't do the car any harm.

Sealing the edges will only stop the draught. Even if you can somehow seal it you will still lose any warmth through the door. Thought about replacing it?

Some ideas here: Garage Door Spares Weather excluders

Mine has basically thick rubber tubing on the bottom edge, but the door is closing vertically so it just compresses as it hits the ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom