Anyone got a copy of OS X 10.5.x ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LTD

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Polo GTi (and a travel pass for the train and subway)
Does anyone have a copy of Mac OS X 10.5.8 of later to enable me to update my PPC iMac ?

I'm running 10.4.11 and the Apple aren't selling the 10.5 version anymore.

Just got myself a new iPhone 4 and cannot upgrade iTunes to the required version without updating the OS

:wallbash:

Leopard is only £25

Yes, Snow Leopard (10.6.x) is cheap but only works on Intel Macs.

The PPC Mac is incompatible with Snow Leopard. It requires the original Leopard (10.5.x)

I have a G5 PPC iMac

I am running 10.5.8 on my G5 ; have the original Leopard instal disc , of which I can give you a copy - from there you can do the updates from Apple .

I am running 10.5.8 on my G5 ; have the original Leopard instal disc , of which I can give you a copy - from there you can do the updates from Apple .

Derek

That would be most welcome.

PM me some details and we can sort it out.

errrrr and errr naturally, you'll be deleting 10.5 from your machine in return?

Much appreciated, lots of love, Steve Jobs

More than likely you will need an install CD for that particular machine or a boxed, retail 10.5 installer. A random 10.5 installer from a different machine is not guaranteed to work

AFAIK there is provision for this kind of upgrade: you buy the current OS and arrange for a previous version to be sent to you by post. Apple should be able to help with this

Pre-Intel machines are pretty much orphaned now. Intel-based Macs are so much faster that there is no incentive, apart from financial, to stay with the G5s

Nick Froome

Thanks for that Nick - didn't realise that Apple may still ship older versions if I bought a current one. I will investigate.

My G5 works perfectly well and has no issues so no real need to change. I don't want anything from the Win environment so no real need for the Intel stuff. I'm not processor hungry ....... if it ain't broke ........

In reality, all I want to do is upgrade my iTunes software to allow my new iPhone to connect properly ........

LTD said:
Thanks for that Nick - didn't realise that Apple may still ship older versions if I bought a current one. I will investigate.

My G5 works perfectly well and has no issues so no real need to change. I don't want anything from the Win environment so no real need for the Intel stuff. I'm not processor hungry ....... if it ain't broke ........

In reality, all I want to do is upgrade my iTunes software to allow my new iPhone to connect properly ........

IIRC Apple deprecated PPC architecture with 10.5 and you may find Safari is runnable but Firefox 4.0 is not. I think FF 3.6 will run. My son is using my old G4 PPC and that is running 10.5.8 ok. Minimal iTunes and Safari updates with an occasional security update.

I have not tried Firefox , but Safari runs fine . Some new software ( Lightroom 3 being the most recent example ) no longer supports the PPC architecture , so it is slowly being left behind . My G5 continues to work well also , so I shall stay with it until such time as something becomes a problem .

I also have 10.5.8 on my old G4 , now used by my daughter , and my G4 Powerbook .

errrrr and errr naturally, you'll be deleting 10.5 from your machine in return?

Much appreciated, lots of love, Steve Jobs

It's odd because I'm from the world of Windows - you either buy a retail copy or you buy OEM with the computer. 1 licence per machine. Simple.

When it came to ensuring out Macs were legal, I could not get an answer out of Apple as to what was required. They didn't have a clue what I was talking about despite being passed from one department to another. At one point they were trying to tell me I only needed one retail copy for all the Macs!!! WTF?

I bought 5 copies of the 10.5 OS to cover 4 x G5 Macs and 1 x G4 Mac - based on my knowledge of Windows.

Useless.

Intel-based Macs are so much faster

This was quite spectacularly illustrated to me recently when comparing a G5 against a 2008 Mac laptop - the laptop could do the same procedure around 5 times that it took the G5 to do it.

Incredible.

However, just for iTunes and Internet browsing, until you are caused an issue by the PPCs being left behind or it dies, you may as well stick with it!

If the Mac OS were licence free, it would be a free download. The updates are of course available this way, once you've paid the privilege of ownership.

JohnEBoy said:
It's odd because I'm from the world of Windows - you either buy a retail copy or you buy OEM with the computer. 1 licence per machine. Simple.

When it came to ensuring out Macs were legal, I could not get an answer out of Apple as to what was required. They didn't have a clue what I was talking about despite being passed from one department to another. At one point they were trying to tell me I only needed one retail copy for all the Macs!!! WTF?

I bought 5 copies of the 10.5 OS to cover 4 x G5 Macs and 1 x G4 Mac - based on my knowledge of Windows.

Useless.

It would not have been useless if you had bought a family licence (£41 for 5 computers) or a single licence for £21. The family licence for 5 machines is a single retail copy. Windows on five machines probably costs more than £41. One Windows licence for one machine seems, on it's face, to be simple. I would prefer to pay a small extra fee (equal to just £8.20 per licence) and include four additional licences. :)

The fact remains that Mac OS discs have never come with serial numbers , nor has registration been required when installing ( they just ask you to register the computer , and even that part is optional ) .

I use my G5 for photo processing and video editing ; we have a number of Mac Pro machines at work - I am not sure of the exact spec of the machines at work , but safe to assume they are not much abpve entry level - when I compare time to complete some operations on my dual 2.5Ghz G5 , which is fully populated with 8Gb of RAM and some of the work machines for things like batch converting RAW files to JPEG or rendering titles in video , there is not a great deal in it , speed wise .

I am quite sure a newer high-end Mac Pro would run rings around my machine , but until it either breaks or no longer supports something I need , I will just stick with it . I have already upgraded the RAM , replaced the internal drives with two 1Tb SATA drives and upgraded the optical drive ( after a bearing went on the old one after countless discs burned ) .

Issues I have noticed lately due to Apple's deciding it is now too old to support include -

MobileMe no longer syncs calendars via the 'Cloud' ( but I can still sync manually at home via my network or by docking the iPhone ) . This is probably the most annoying issue , since I am still paying for a service which I had last year and has now been dropped , unless I were to upgrade to a newer machine .

Latest version of Toast no longer supports PPC

Ditto CS5 , but CS4 still runs nicely

As above with LR3 ( problem will arise if I update to a camera for which Adobe Camera Raw requires a newer version of PS or LR ) .

All the stuff the machine did when new, it still does admirably well , but inevitably it will become outdated , as did the G4 before it and , in turn its predecessors .

My iPhone 3GS still works fine too , and will continue to do so until I am eligible for another free upgrade after another year or so .

It would not have been useless if you had bought a family licence (£41 for 5 computers) or a single licence for £21. The family licence for 5 machines is a single retail copy. Windows on five machines probably costs more than £41. One Windows licence for one machine seems, on it's face, to be simple. I would prefer to pay a small extra fee (equal to just £8.20 per licence) and include four additional licences. :)

Given they couldn't help with what was required, I wouldn't have been poised with a pen waiting for them to volunteer that kind of helpful information...

I found out about family licences from a colleague at work recently, except the name would suggest a home licence as we don't have many family members in the same office :rolleyes:, but nevertheless I understand it could be used in a business environment.

Perhaps one day Apple will understand the basic licensing requirements for their own products and be helpful...

Perhaps one day Apple will understand the basic licensing requirements for their own products and be helpful...

They are probably unique in the way that their OS works only on their machines so they know that you must have their profit -making box or the disc is as good as useless.

I think you're right - that must be the bottom line.

That same thought crossed my mind as I saw the original invoice cost for these machines :eek: and after to speaking to Apple at the time - but then what is to stop someone upgrading to the latest version at no cost?

They must be making a shed load to not care.

Even the guy I know who works for Apple just upgrades his, then sells the old copy on eBay... so doesn't have a copy of the media and there is nothing stuck to any of the machines.

JohnEBoy said:
Given they couldn't help with what was required, I wouldn't have been poised with a pen waiting for them to volunteer that kind of helpful information...

I found out about family licences from a colleague at work recently, except the name would suggest a home licence as we don't have many family members in the same office :rolleyes:, but nevertheless I understand it could be used in a business environment.

I don't really understand who you had phoned. Apple are not usually slack about dealing with phone enquiries. In fact, I have encouraged many non-geeks to use Macs because there phone support is usually outstanding.

Had you asked for the support that deals exclusively with commerce, you would not be left in any doubt at the end of your enquiry.

Pontoneer made the point that you do not have any activation issues or serial numbers to be concerned about. At £8.20 per commercial seat, I would not expect any business to fail to be legal. 10.7 will incorporate server and an unlimited number if seats.

OS X server is about to be incorporated into the standard Mac OS (Lion) so do give it a try and stick with the OS... You may be very pleasantly surprised. If you are in any way *nix literate, you should enjoy the Mac OS experience. Expect a single copy of Lion to retail at around £70 and the five seat version to sell for around £99. There will only be a single consumer version of the software but the capable X-server environment will be incorporated as well.

I hope you find that your call was the exception rather than the rule. If your question was put in a way that can be misconstrued, it is possible that the support desk took it up wrongly. As for Mac hardware being both essential and expensive, it is not so. You cannot run OS X on any hardware. The clone experiment almost killed Apple and making the whole widget keeps the quality high.

My son now runs my eight year old G4 17 inch PowerBook today. Not a bad TCO given that complete with all of the expensive software I use in my work, the machine cost me £2800 new and it has earned me around £400k.

I don't really understand who you had phoned. Apple are not usually slack about dealing with phone enquiries. In fact, I have encouraged many non-geeks to use Macs because there phone support is usually outstanding.

Had you asked for the support that deals exclusively with commerce, you would not be left in any doubt at the end of your enquiry.

With Microsoft, you have a licensing telephone number and you ring up and ask your question.

With Apple, I used contact numbers from their website although there wasn't a specific number for licensing (this was 2008). I remember asking if there was a department that deals with licensing - apprently not.

In this instance, we are talking about ensuring the Operating System was legal one 5 Mac workstations. This shouldn't really matter whether it was commercial or not - as these Macs could be sat in 5 people's houses.

This is what they could not help with. There aren't many ways you can really phrase the question and I even used Windows as my example... :confused:

Pontoneer made the point that you do not have any activation issues or serial numbers to be concerned about. At £8.20 per commercial seat, I would not expect any business to fail to be legal.

This tallies with my experience - with Windows it is tied to either a Volume Licence key or OEM key stuck to the computer. However, because Apple could not tell me that I needed a copy of Leopard per Mac, I was in a position where I did not know what was required to be legal. I had to buy 5 copies of Leopard at £50 a pop...

OS X server is about to be incorporated into the standard Mac OS (Lion) so do give it a try and stick with the OS... You may be very pleasantly surprised.

I'm not switching. I did a comparison between a 27" iMac vs equivalent PC and there was around £70 difference in favour of the PC. It's not worth re-training multiple bods to use Windows for this kind of difference.

In our case, we connect using SMB/CIFS to a Windows 2003 Server so server software is not really needed. The software the server runs is not available for Mac.

I hope you find that your call was the exception rather than the rule. If your question was put in a way that can be misconstrued, it is possible that the support desk took it up wrongly.

I've not had to phone them since and I doubt I will need to to be honest.

As for Mac hardware being both essential and expensive, it is not so. My son now runs my eight year old G4 17 inch PowerBook today. Not a bad TCO given that complete with all of the expensive software I use in my work, the machine cost me £2800 new and it has earned me around £400k.

It is essential for Mac OS X, as you rightly pointed out.

It certainly was expensive historically. Only now does it stand inline.

I am still running older PCs than the only G4 we have - which according to the original invoices were a lot lower initial cost. So the ROI is much higher on the PCs in that respect.

I'd expect this to fall inline now given the small price difference.

hi im running version 10.4.11 on a g4 ibook

processor 1.33 ghz power pc G4
memory 1gb sdram

when i check for updates on the software update is says no more needed at this time

what is the last update software you can down load for a pc apple so mine has the latest

may be a silly question but i bet some one has the answer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom