Anyone got a f10 5 series?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model X & Mercedes W212 /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
Either estate or saloon.

Please share your experiences :)

Reliability? (Which engine do you have?)
Comfort?

Thanks

No, but I borrowed a friends one last week (520d) and was deeply impressed! I have had BMWs in the past but was never very impressed but have to say it was super nice and very comfortable. Made me wonder about our next car!

No, but I borrowed a friends one last week (520d) and was deeply impressed! I have had BMWs in the past but was never very impressed but have to say it was super nice and very comfortable. Made me wonder about our next car!

That’s what I wanted to hear!

What year was it?

I think my friend has one as the company car; I'm catching up with him this weekend (putting the engine back in his Nissan).

From memory it's a perfectly capable hauler for moving the family about, but he drives his M3 most of the time and his wife drives her CLK. - The fact they bought the CLK may mean that it has gone back and he just gets an allowance now.

Now that I think about it, he described it as a bit of a boat; it goes where you point it, and without a great deal of effort, but it's rather vague and doesn't respond to being pushed. - So fine for flogging up and down the motorway with children in the back, but not the car you take to the Isle of Man or down twisty B roads.

I had a 2014 520d SE saloon for 3 years before I moved to the current E220d. It only had one failure in 3 years, which was the AC compressor - then again, according to the BMW Forums you had to consider yourself lucky if that didn't fail on cars in a certain age band. It was comfortable, reliable, probably handled better than the E220, although that doesn't bother me so much now that I pay for my own fuel, tyres, and insurance. It was just a little bit boring; a pleasant enough car to sit in, but nothing exceptional. I found the idrive a lot easier to use than Comand.

My local dealer was c**p; then again, my local MB dealer doesn't seem any better.

I have a 2016 520d and had it from new. Now on 20k miles and it is just getting new boots all round.

Previous car was a E220d coupe

No issues at all with the BMW.

Engine is sweet and better than the E Coupe I used to have.

Gearbox is lightyears better.

Seats are more comfortable

Yes, handling isn’t as sharp but it sits on 17s and Runflats instead of 18s and low profiles. To be expected.

Regarding the boaty feel - an extra 3lbs of air at the back sorts it out and makes it feel nice and planted and almost nimble.

Any questions - just ask

2015 520d m sport.

Engine is a bit peanut for such a large car, i did come from 3 no 3 liter cars and have a 530d also. Just lacks that urge if you need it for gaps or up the slip road, doesn't feel like 190 Bhp.
Refined, superb gearbox,roomy, ours is well equipped. 44.5 mpg avg over 60k miles with low 50's possible.

Downsides have been, all the tyres have suffered premature death due to potholes, got 50k from one before it got a deformation, and they are common.
been thoroughly reliable and comfortable for the 600 miles a week it does. I will most likely buy another next year but deffo a 6 pot.

Refined, superb gearbox,roomy, ours is well equipped. 44.5 mpg avg over 60k miles

That’s less than I would expect, my 3.2L E class averaged 45mpg over the last 15K?

My 520d did 37.9 mpg in the three years I had it; the E220 has done 39.5 so far (figures from Fuelly records, not onboard computers).

That’s less than I would expect, my 3.2L E class averaged 45mpg over the last 15K?

I dont think its as frugal as a 530 for the miles we drive, i log the journeys over the last for years and the destinations are the same but the 520 returns less then the 530, we travel across the pennines regular and the consumption plummets on the hills, sometimes up windy hill from rochdale it will drop a gear. and the instant will come down to low 20's Im my old 30d no such issues and it will stay in the thirties up the same hill.

I believe the 2 liter has to work very hard to maintain the cruise on the hills. Maybe in Norfolk it would be different

2zgvwc3.jpg

Good mpg can be obtained from the 4 pot if you try

Glasgow - Ayr - Lanark - Glasgow if you know the route

I have one too, a fairly high spec 2014 520d M sport which I bought 6 months old. It has only covered 30k miles, but has been very reliable during the time I have owned it. The best MPG I have seen is 58 mpg one journey, but most of the time I tend see on average 40-42mpg, which is a mixture of town and motorway driving. Comfort wise I would say is not too bad although mine does have the 19" M sport alloys and suspension, so the ride can be a little firm at times.

Overall I'm happy with it although I do sometimes kind of wish I had gone for the 530d just for that extra refinement, but that's the only negative point I can think of.

Last edited:
I had the 640d which is just a 535d with a sleeker body and optioned up.
  • 3.0 litre 6 speed engine - 313ps - effortless and reasonably economical
  • 8 speed ZF - I had the sports shift version which was allegedly slicker - sublime
  • Steering - flawed IMO - BMW electric steering is not great and the variable assistance option was sometimes horrible
  • Handling - soulless. Big lump that moved quickly but not as rewardig as the BMW driver's car reputation suggests
  • Servicing - not as expensive as MB - dealer not great - slow to answer phone and appointments not immediate - had one minor warranty issue that was unresolved and I had to cough for new AC gas.
  • Issues? I had a weird AC problem where the gas disappeared. 5 Series had a AC condensor issue where they would get damaged and leak. 6 has same setup but I think better protected.
  • Warranty. Well I had to cough for the new gas.
  • Economy - basically good - 50mpg was achievable on the motorway cruise - 42mpg on long runs
  • Other - well the runflats - I personally don't rate the older iDrive - engine grumbled a bit at about 1400rpm which could be a bit annoying in urban driving.
  • Interior - nice - I prefer to some of the current MBs - I like the older simpler dials rather than the new all electronic dash
  • Quality - my view at the time was good - but not quite as good as MB
I don't miss the thing TBH - after 18 months I was slightly fed up with it - the steering was the thing that spoiled it - it just wasn't good on some A and B roads where you had a combination of bends and road surface at a speeds where the variable assistance messed with the feedback.

So my view is that if you like the 5 series package the 3.0 litre engine is good - pairs beautifully with the 8 speed ZF. Don't cough for the variable steering unless you've tried it.

That’s what I wanted to hear!

What year was it?

2015 ish. It’s on a private plate but they bought it new a few years ago.

Think it was the non sporty version. More sensible tyres, chrome around the windows. But specced nicely inside and rode really well. The boaty feeling is accurate I guess. I was just wowed by using a car which soaked up the bumps and potholes so much better than my cars. Reminded me of how cars used to drive before we all got obsessed with 19” rims and low profile tyres. I would say it is the perfect mile muncher.

The 6 cylinder diesel mated to the 8 speed box is fantastic, a 2013 530/535d was on the list until I bought this 2014MY Jag XF S.

There were a few modernising updates around late 2013 (better graphics/steering wheel etc) so go for one of those if the budget allows.

Thanks for all the replies.

I was looking at either the 520 or 530d. Do any of you know if these engines have a timing chain or a belt?

I just can’t keep my eyes off them, the F10 5 series with the MSPORT pack, looks great IMO. Not sure whether to get a saloon or a diesel though... I’m thinking saloon as my E class will be staying regardless....

Abs

I've been looking at these lately. They have timing chains and there are numerous reports of timing chain failure and expensive bills. A quick internet search will reveal all.

Tim

Engine mounts? Headlights?

I know my friend (who no-longer has the 5-series as his company car) found it was cheaper to replace the entire headlight than the blown xenon bulb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom