Anyone got a Golf GTI Mk7?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Londonscottish

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E500 & Fiat 500
I was wondering if anyone has a Golf GTI Mk7?

My latest theory about how to replace my E500 at some point involves a pivot; it occurred to me that I could split the budget I'd need to get into an E43 or a C300e across two cars. A 15k Golf GTI for day to day stuff and a CLS55 for fun. I wouldn't have to run the 55 all year round; I could SORN it on my drive under a cover for 6 months of the year or stick it in secure parking up the road for £10 a week.

That way I'd end up with a great three car garage - Fiat 500/GTI/CLS 55 - and be able to scratch my 55k itch.

Anyone got a Mk7 GTI?

I haven’t but my daughter bought a 4 year old hybrid gti as a replacement for her ML 350 which was their main car ( Peugeot 208 as local runaround/ second car ) , they absolutely love it. It’s very comfortable, nice drive and very economical in comparison, 11-22 miles on e/v mode . Every time they arrive in it at my house after a180 mile drive they say they hardly notice that it’s smaller on a long motorway run, it’s been very reliable and the annual service at the dealership was not expensive

I have a mk 7 GTI and am very pleased with it after 9 months. Its also an auto.
Following the previous post by Smart 320 I dont think VW made a hybrid GTI. They made a GTE hybrid and 1.4 hybrids.

Mk7 GTI is too easy a default choice. Great car yada yada..., retains value but doesn't depreciate...

But it does have certain limitations. You might want to also think about....

The GTD - A dreaded diesel but there are a lot around and they have many fans
The GTE - the hybrid GT - that Green pretence, better mpg, but some future risk
The GT - a softer GT but for a City dweller all the better for that AND much cheaper.

And then there's the Audi S3, more expensive than the GTI but it has its fans.

34046a779e4541818f073ddcffd771b7.jpeg

Mk7 GTI is too easy a default choice. Great car yada yada..., retains value but doesn't depreciate...

But it does have certain limitations. You might want to also think about....

The GTD - A dreaded diesel but there are a lot around and they have many fans
The GTE - the hybrid GT - that Green pretence, better mpg, but some future risk
The GT - a softer GT but for a City dweller all the better for that AND much cheaper.

And then there's the Audi S3, more expensive than the GTI but it has its fans.
Thanks Mike.

GTD; I'll duck the diesel as whatever I get will often spend 6 weeks without even hitting the north circular.

GTE; gives me the same hebegebies as a C350e

GT; aha - this could be the one. I hired a bog standard 1.4 TSI a couple of years ago in the Highlands and was very impressed by its compliance. Maybe I don't want a GTI turned up to 11, I want a GT turned down to 9....

S3; too gel plate and vape for me :)

Thanks Mike.

GTD; I'll duck the diesel as whatever I get will often spend 6 weeks without even hitting the north circular.

GTE; gives me the same hebegebies as a C350e

GT; aha - this could be the one. I hired a bog standard 1.4 TSI a couple of years ago in the Highlands and was very impressed by its compliance. Maybe I don't want a GTI turned up to 11, I want a GT turned down to 9....

S3; too gel plate and vape for me :)
Doppelgänger.

My thoughts too: GT 1.4 TSI and drive it fast when you want to. The caveat: too dull ?

Screenshot 2023-04-30 at 14.24.13.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom