Anyone got a padded dark room for me...

• Thread starter Deleted member 37751
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 37751

...because I'm losing the will to live trying to sell this C-Class on eBay! :wallbash: I haven't had this much bother selling AMG's and the like and this C-Class is possibly the cheapest on the net pound for pound!

A couple of examples of my wonderful experiences :

1. Car sells for just under the reserve price so I offered it to the highest bidder for their highest bid and he agrees. Said bidder then emails the day after offering £400 less than what his highest bid was...:wallbash:

I decide to re-list and said highest bidder sends me a sarcastic email stating why didn't I accept the offer which matched his highest bid...:wallbash:

He then decides to bid again so I remove and block his bids which attracting another sarcastic email...:wallbash:

In the end, he gets the message...(I think)

2. Offers it this time but without a reserve because I want to make space for my new purchases, and it sells for £4200 to a last minute bid from a bidder with 3 feedback and turns out 2 of those are for bidding and winning auctions on cars then going AWOL...:wallbash:

Now he is totally unresponsive...:wallbash:

I'm half-tempted to put it on Auto Trader for a £1000 more and see what types the higher price attracts!

(Apologies for the rant but I feel better for it!)

My son has tried to sell a couple of cars on eBay with no luck either. Generally the winning bidder either dissappears, lowers the bid or says they bid by mistake. You then do the "second chance" thing and that bidder then drops their bid! It's a waste of time dealing with these people.

I find eBay classified with a best offer option gets the job done in the end.

Not everyone out there’s a time waster, it’ll go.

A lot of people are on holiday at the moment though and I’m hearing this brexit lark is making people sit on their hands so it might take longer than normal

Gumtree gets treated like a game, a game of waster that just wanna play with you.. I'm not a fan of Gumtree, but I prefer it to Fleabay..

Take the heat off your car a bit, remove it for a week or so then relist again..

I sold two cars, both within an hour for close to asking price on Gumtree.
I do appreciate others may have different experiences though.

I have 2 packets of crisps, a bag of Scampi and a half eaten Mars Bar ...... you can have 2 of them! Is pretty much the standard response selling online.

That being said I have now sold 2 cars to the first to see the car on Gumtree and it’s also worth paying the premium after it falls down the listings in the first few days.

If you advertise on gumtree do not put your phone number, you will get a call from some idiot asking about your accident, it is a scam to get your bank details. Better to put your e mail address to gumtree, it will not appear in advert buyer e mails gumtree and they pass on their message.

Advertised a few things over years and guarantee scammers will call if you give out phone, they must trawl the adverts for working phones to call.

I've only ever sold a car twice, both times to a wrecker/breaker. It just seems to me you buy a car to use, once it isn't working anymore and is uneconomic to fix you send it to the knackers yard.
I just do not understand all the trading that goes on with a perfectly good instrument - why buy it in the first place if you think it's not going to fit your needs?

A lot of people are on holiday at the moment though and I’m hearing this brexit lark is making people sit on their hands so it might take longer than normal
To be honest it’s more than likely the school holidays, I’ve seen it over the years come to think of it; selling things during it is notoriously difficult because people are more worried about going away than buying a car.

2. Offers it this time but without a reserve because I want to make space for my new purchases, and it sells for £4200 to a last minute bid from a bidder with 3 feedback and turns out 2 of those are for bidding and winning auctions on cars then going AWOL...:wallbash:

Now he is totally unresponsive...:wallbash:
It's a problem with Ebay, you have to change options of your account to decline buyers with less than 10 feedbacks. Otherwise you will get bids from bots. I had the same when trying to sell Samsung phone. Everything was going well and then last minute had a bid from someone with 0 feedbacks. Had to wait 3 days for Ebay to refund commission and cancel the bid. In the end sold phone to a friend.

I've only ever sold a car twice, both times to a wrecker/breaker. It just seems to me you buy a car to use, once it isn't working anymore and is uneconomic to fix you send it to the knackers yard.
I just do not understand all the trading that goes on with a perfectly good instrument - why buy it in the first place if you think it's not going to fit your needs?

On a similar principle I bought a 5 year old 190e and kept it for 21 years before repairs became uneconomic. I'd like to think I could repeat that with my W204 but some how I doubt it.

On a similar principle I bought a 5 year old 190e and kept it for 21 years before repairs became uneconomic. I'd like to think I could repeat that with my W204 but some how I doubt it.

You can give it a go :)

Having bought a 169k mile 1989 190E and drive it for 5 years with zero issues. My late 2013 W204 has already had numerous issues under warranty which would have cost me over 5K. They literally dont build them like they used to. I would consider 150k miles or 10+years a good innings on any car these days. That being said I would like to keep the current S204 for at least the next 5 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom