Anyone got a padded dark room for me...

• Thread starter Deleted member 37751
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If you advertise on gumtree do not put your phone number, you will get a call from some idiot asking about your accident, it is a scam to get your bank details. Better to put your e mail address to gumtree, it will not appear in advert buyer e mails gumtree and they pass on their message.

Advertised a few things over years and guarantee scammers will call if you give out phone, they must trawl the adverts for working phones to call.

Best to create a new,temporary, email address....

It's a very odd market at the moment. 

A few things are working against you: 

1) It's summer and people are otherwise engaged with holidays etc 

2) PCP and cheap lease deals mean that the demand for older out of warranty Mercedes is lower than it used to be. Why buy used (and take on all the associated risks) when you can lease a new one for peanuts? 

3) It's a second hand Merc with the perceived high running costs of a premium car. A lot of people are scared off Mercs out of warranty for that reason. 

All of which means that there are a tonne of cars on the used market and insufficient demand to soak them up. 

I've read on other sites (Pistonheads!) that traders are shutting up shop because it's just too hard now to sell the volume they once did. 

Personally I think we are moving towards a model where cars will just become another expense (like your TV / phone / broadband package). Cars will essentially be "worthless" once they get past 5 or so years and will just be routinely replaced with the old car being scrapped or sold for pennies. 

We are not there yet, but there is a whole generation of drivers coming through who would never / will never expect to own their car. They expect to rent from new, hand it back after X years and repeat. Just like their iPhone. The problem for the industry is what to do with all those cars that nobody wants to buy in the second hand market. 

The obvious result is depressed used values and over-supply, or a "fight to the bottom" as some would say. 

In theory that "should" drive lease prices up since lower residuals should force leasing companies to charge more on the monthlies. And then you may see a correction. 

It's basic economics but I think that is in part the reason why you are struggling to sell your C Class. 

Unfortunately I think the only way to sell your Merc is to reduce the price considerably. Everything will sell at the right price. It's just that at the moment that price is low, unless you get mega lucky and find a buyer who wants your car. But there are so many to choose from it's bloomin' hard to make yours "the one". 

Mate of mine had a terrible job selling a 63 plate 118i last year. It was immaculate, 6k miles on the clock, with loads of nice extras. He got it away eventually but for £2k less than he was expecting.

Unfortunately I think the only way to sell your Merc is to reduce the price considerably. Everything will sell at the right price.
I’d normally agree with you there but it’s already one of the cheapest *if not the cheapest* online so I think it’s as much about it being the six weeks holidays than anything else.

I’ve actually had a few messages from members who can’t believe it hasn’t sold due to how cheap it is but I don’t know if that’s because they’re more worried about their own cars value than mine! :D

It's a problem with Ebay, you have to change options of your account to decline buyers with less than 10 feedbacks. Otherwise you will get bids from bots. I had the same when trying to sell Samsung phone. Everything was going well and then last minute had a bid from someone with 0 feedbacks. Had to wait 3 days for Ebay to refund commission and cancel the bid. In the end sold phone to a friend.
To be honest (and without looking) I thought I’d already set that up so I’m not sure whether eBay have changed the settings during some update or other.

I was chatting to a neighbour recently about selling his motor.

He was telling me the salesman of the motor he wants to buy says that BCA/WBAC have accumulated a mass of used cars which have been returned from leasing.

Manufacturers are apparently paying them to keep hold of them so they can keep prices on the forecourt high - which apparently is well worth doing.

Shame really all these cars sitting around being kept from the supply.

I would have thought letting the market flood a bit more would allow people with really old cars and little money to upgrade...

You must have some trader friends who might be interested? Or are they likely to offer less than WBAC?

Gumtree - I listed a phone on there and immediately got 3 different messages asking me to email them but would not talk over text or phone. I ignored them anyway and used a spare phone with a PAYG sim, that way my number won't go out to time wasters afterwards.

Perhaps an eBay classified ad?

You must have some trader friends who might be interested? Or are they likely to offer less than WBAC?
Lost touch with a lot of them pal, so that’s a bit of a non-starter. Just thought that for the price I wanted it’d sell quickly but, like I said earlier, I think the holidays are playing a big part.

I’ll probably try one more time and if it doesn’t go I’ll maybe sell the Alltrack and keep this Merc and run it into the ground then palm it off onto a family member for peanuts years down the line...

If you use facebook, there are some groups on there that will probably help sell it. I'd happily help list it on there if you want or on t'other side

I'd happily help list it on there if you want or on t'other side
Thanks Bob, I’d appreciate it if you stuck it on the other side.

Going to leave it off AT/eBay I think for a while and run it for the rest of the week, got a meeting tomorrow in Birmingham so I’ll take it for a run.

Hear ye! Hear ye!

A W204 C220 CDi Sport takes longer to sell* than a Maserati Quattroporte!

*in the school holidays

About time too Lee! Was beginning to think my project will be finished before you managed to sell this! :p

Well done pal, got there in the end. :)

About time too Lee! Was beginning to think my project will be finished before you managed to sell this! :p

Well done pal, got there in the end. :)
It’s crazy pal; it was the cheapest online and it still took what felt like forever... I’m just putting it down to the school holidays.

Seasonal trends are just weird.

My business is meant to slump in July, August and die in December.

Not for me, I experience the opposite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom