Anyone got BOSE Solo or equivalent?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Dazzler

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
Smart ForFour AMG Black Series Night Edition Premium Plus 125 Powered by Brabus
Considering a BOSE Solo, and it'll be a while before I can get chance to have a demonstration, so I thought the great MBClub collective might offer thoughts on whether they're any good?

Mrs D was adamant that the old Sony surround sound system was disposed of when we decorated the living room a month or so ago, along with everything else connected to the TV. She really didn't like having visible speakers and the like, and to a degree I agree.

The new TV is fair on sound quality for a flat panel but I do miss having a little oomph, so the BOSE Solo seems like a fair compromise being a single black box.

So what are your thoughts in BOSE Solo or alternative?

Requirements are no new cabling and must be visibly subtle.

Not heard the bose solo and have been thoroughly underwhelmed by all the soundbars I've heard.

A friend has just bought a Orbitsound M12 for £299 and swears that there is no better vfm when it comes to soundbars.

I'll be demoing it in his place next week but he has been researching for a few months about which one to get.

I confess that I have never been impressed by Bose equipment and I don't have direct experience of the Solo, but the What Hi-Fi? review suggests that's it offers less than stellar performance.

Although it's somewhat more expensive (and has its own limitations), how about the Sonos PlayBar? It also has the advantage of offering access to a plethora of music sources and can form part of a multi-room music system if you so desire.

Lots of other soundbar reviews on the What Hi-Fi site if that doesn't float your boat...

Last edited:
I'm the same I've just replaced our surround sound and thought I'll look at Bose BTBH the sound quality just wasn't their form any of the soundbar products. I had a Yamaha soundbar and whilst it was good and miles better than the Bose for depth of sound and clarity it still didn't give me what I was looking for. Eventually went for a Yamaha home theatre component system which sounds absolutely awesome and can rattle the pictures on the wall when turned up, it has bass you can feel and really brings the TV and Blu Ray to life especially films.

My opinion there's much better out there for the money than the Bose unit in the OP

OK my Hi Fi friends what about a crackin' system to make our kitchen diner bounce about. Currently running a bogo standard Philips MC260 Micro system.

I did think Bose because of their adverts but way too expensive and from various posts on here only average. Room is say 18 by 21 as in feet. Thanks in advance.

OK my Hi Fi friends what about a crackin' system to make our kitchen diner bounce about. Currently running a bogo standard Philips MC260 Micro system.

I did think Bose because of their adverts but way too expensive and from various posts on here only average. Room is say 18 by 21 as in feet. Thanks in advance.

Are you hooking this up to a TV or do you just want the functions of a micro system, CD,Radio, aux input etc? As that determines if you go the AV route or HiFi route

Denon Micro's regularly get rave reviews and are compact, though they have external speakers:
Denon D-M39DAB review from the experts at whathifi.com

Have 2 denon units myself. One in the kitchen and the other in my office.

With a decent set of B&W speakers the sound is amazing for such a small amplifier.

Denon Micro's regularly get rave reviews and are compact, though they have external speakers:
Denon D-M39DAB review from the experts at whathifi.com

Funny you say that John I was just going to post this

Denon DM39 Black & Tannoy MERCURY V1 Dark Walnut | Mini System INC Speakers | Richer Sounds

A bargain at £249

but my preference would be this

Yamaha CRX550 BLACK & Q Acoustics 2010i | Mini System INC Speakers - iPod not included | Richer Sounds

But don't think you would go far wrong with either for the same money

Last edited:
I had always wanted a Bose product and bought an iPhone docking station about a year ago with a view to expanding into their other products.

To say I was disappointed was an understatement, my £80 Philips Dock that I had before the Bose beat it hands down on volume and sound quality.

I ended up buying Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin and it is brilliant, One Direction has never sounded so good...

I can highly recommend the LG NB4530A. I got it as the what hifi review was awesome. I picked mine up from richer sounds for £259 and it's transformed the sound of my TV

I've never had a bad denon product.

We've got a Denon mini system in the kitchen with a cheap ipod dock hooked up to it - very good!

In the lounge we have a 5:1 panasonic blu ray system - again pretty good.

My son-in-law's just bought Bose Solo - I'm not impressed. Nowhere near as good as my Yamaha/Kef 5 speaker Home Cinema system.

Not heard the bose solo and have been thoroughly underwhelmed by all the soundbars I've heard.

A friend has just bought a Orbitsound M12 for £299 and swears that there is no better vfm when it comes to soundbars.

I'll be demoing it in his place next week but he has been researching for a few months about which one to get.

Have now had a chance to listen to the M12 and while it is OK, I could never settle with the lack of depth it produces. It also has a "loudness button stuck on" sound that lots of soundbars with subs have. Plenty of high and enough low but nothing in the lower-middle at all.

Maybe all soundbars are like this no matter their cost. After all, physics cannot be beaten.

I have replaced my old BOSE series 5 (any offers ?) as my hearing is demanding the higher notes & now have a nice little ONKYO system. I wonder though, if there is a sound bar specific to your brand of television, that would suffice.

I regret the ONKYO in away as we have now bought a Samsung TV & have to dispose of the LG 3D TV somehow (any offers ?? again) & would have gone for their soundbar.

I have replaced my old BOSE series 5 (any offers ?) as my hearing is demanding the higher notes & now have a nice little ONKYO system. I wonder though, if there is a sound bar specific to your brand of television, that would suffice.

I regret the ONKYO in away as we have now bought a Samsung TV & have to dispose of the LG 3D TV somehow (any offers ?? again) & would have gone for their soundbar.

They do offer a sound bar, and I'm sure it's fantastic, but I think it's overpriced for what I'm looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom