Anyone had a custom oil cooler made?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TTManUK

Car
C63 AMG
I need a new oil cooler for my C63, part is NLA from all the dealers I tried in the UK and after waiting 3 weeks for one to come from Eastern Europe cos eBay to no avail I'm looking at other options. Has anyone had any experience in this in the past, any recommendations?

Matt at Think Automotive is a font of all knowledge about this sort of thing. He might even have been down that road. Mention Gareth at ACE Engineering if you give him a call and he’ll look after you.

Or one of these…

The original c63 cooler has both entry and exit on the same end iirc, so you might need to run another pipe. Speak to Matt though, he might have something with entry and exit same end.

A lot of years ago, I fitted a small air-cooled rad in front of the main rad on a Chevy V8 as an ATF cooler.
It was easy to mount.
Extra pipework was required but it was not difficult to engineer.
No need to fabricate a special cooler.
Any of the small rads in the above posts should be suitable.

A lot of years ago, I fitted a small air-cooled rad in front of the main rad on a Chevy V8 as an ATF cooler.
It was easy to mount.
Extra pipework was required but it was not difficult to engineer.
No need to fabricate a special cooler.
Any of the small rads in the above posts should be suitable.
This is a well trodden route for upgrading cars that don’t have one fitted as standard, and as you say, works well. The C63 comes with a long and narrow cooler, mounted low. It would not be beyond the realms of a decent diy-er to fit an aftermarket one in the same position, I’m sure.

It's not the main cooler I need, it's the one in front of the wheel arch which is square and as I understand fits into a bracket which mounts a fan pointing at it, so I need the same dimensions ideally

My guess that this is the cooler that gets punctured on a regular basis and MB refuse to fit a stone guard to the aperture as they say it compromises cooling efficiency.

Then someone comes along and makes and sells aftermarket stone guards one online for a decent price with no problems ?

I think I read it somewhere on here quite a while ago.

I think the cooler failure is internal and due to corrosion rather than impact as the fan is mounted infront of it and would take the brunt of any hit. The 44O cooling package upgrade was available for facelift models and did away with the fan entirely, as its presence hindered airflow more than it helped, however my car is PFL and the 44O package is nearly impossible to get and is very expensive for what it is so can't/won't be going that route.

I ran Mocal oil coolers on a Celica GT4 and Calibra Turbo years ago and they were just a fit and forget deal, great quality too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom