Anyone Had A Mini?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rockits

MB Enthusiast
Car
2005 E55K Estate; 2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE;2004 E500 Estate;2005 Alfa GT V6;306GTi-6;206 GTi 180
I've never had a Mini and thinking of getting one. Anyone had one or can offer any pointers to the best one to get?

Been doing a fair bit of research and seems the earlier supercharged cars pre 2006 are better and more raw than the later turbo motors.

Also that the JCW cars are quite pricey and not that much better than a Cooper S unless you go silly new and pricey.

Any thoughts, opinions and abuse welcome [emoji3]

I know they can be a bit pricey to get things fixed on (unless you plan to do work yourself) due to the amount of room around the engine / what needs to be removed.

I also learnt this week that the early ones had a crap "Midland" gearbox (prone to failure) unlike the Getrag fitted from 2004ish.

They look like they are amusing to drive.

I think gaz_l (used to have an SLK55 I think) recently bought one didn't he?

The real mini is a 1966 Mini Cooper S with twin petrol tanks aka Italian Job, wow what a car!

I had a 1275GT as my first car with Cooper S exhaust, Coil and skimmed Cylinder head fitted.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Knew a guy who bought a supercharged Gen1 Cooper S new . He had previously had a succession of Porsche 911s and was looking for a "rawer" motoring experience. He sold it after 6 months saying his back couldnt stand the ride quality anymore-- "motorised skateboard" was his description iirc :eek:

At the risk of boring with my "ride quality" reputation, I know two kinds of MINI drivers.

Those who buy the soft ones with small wheels and big tyres and keep them forever as a second / wife / teenager / girlie car.

And those who buy souped up, big wheel MINI's and sell them within a year, saying they've scratched the itch.

(With apologies.... where necessary)

Ps. They also seem to be extraordinarily difficult to sell privately, especially in Red. Don't know why, but they take an age and go for peanuts, even though they don't "seem" to be unreliable.

Last edited:
I’ve owned an R53 supercharged Cooper S and an R56 turbo. I’ve driven the third generation car in cooper, Cooper S and JCW variants.

Apart from the sound of the supercharged engine, I really much preferred the R56. It was a much better all rounder, while retaining the handling characteristics I loved about both. I’m also a fan of the Prince engine fitted to the R56, having also owned a 208 GTI with the same.

Personally I think the 3rd generation feels a lot more grown up, refined and generally more BMW than anything. Clearly that’s a sign of the times, as cars get more practical etc, but it’s completely lost the character I loved about the first 2. There really isn’t much that would make me buy one over any other hatch in the market, which wasn’t the case before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I spent (read wasted) a year servicing the things at a bmw/mini/MB main dealer.
Everyone hated the earlier generation bmw minis, their suspension was rock hard, their rear calipers seized with alarming regularity, their build quality was iffy to say the least and the rear seats might just have been left out, there was so little room.
Having said that when a supercharged one came into the workshop there was a scrabble to work on it - they were more fun to test drive.
Later JCWs are a bit of a hoot to drive but as someone already pointed out they are just more bmw than mini (which ironically is what they always were).
Not a patch on the original mini imo. ;)

I’ve owned a 2011 cooper S turbo since new. With 184 bhp on tap it is bonkers and tremendous fun to drive. It has enough power everywhere. There always seems to be more power available and it will continue to accelerate until you chicken out. Like a rocket powered roller skate.

I’m 6’ 3” and have bags of space. Driven down to Spain and all over France so comfort not an issue.

It has a solid-built feel to it. Very German. In 70000 miles have replaced the brake discs twice and a high-pressure fuel pump. Other than that just tyres and normal servicing.

My wife loves the mini and we are determined to keep it until we have to scrap it. I’d buy another in a flash.

I think gaz_l (used to have an SLK55 I think) recently bought one didn't he?

Spot on John. I miss the V8 in the SLK but the Mini is a hoot to drive. Slightly less of a licence loser as well, although it can still get a wiggle on.

There are three versions of the Mini: R53, R56 and F56. The R56 Cooper S (like mine) had 2 versions of the 1.6 engine, earlier versions had the N14, later ones the N18. The N14 has a poor reputation for chewing up timing gear (they are chain drive, but apparently the tensioners go). The N18s are better, allegedly, so I made sure I bought one of those. Can't comment on gearboxes as mine's automatic.

Various people commented on the ride quality before I bought mine (st13phil's wife had one), saying how hard it can be, but I find it OK even though it's on runflats. Mind you, I did run a Fiat Panda 100HP for 5 years and that had no suspension at all so it's all relative.

Specs vary quite widely, the first one I test drove was quite basic but the one I ended up buying (for considerably more, I might add) has got every option box ticked, I think. It must have cost the original owner a packet, but it's a very nice place to sit.

No comment on cost of repairs as (touch wood) it's been 100% reliable up till now. I know I've got to have the front pads replaced soon, but they quoted me quite a reasonable price at the dealers, certainly in comparison to what the SLK ones cost!

Fuel economy? Not great, I average 26-27 MPG in mixed driving but then I don't hang about. And it's much better than the Beetle, which dips under 20 around town where it spends most of its time.

Would I recommend a Cooper S? Yes, definitely based on my experience so far. Even my wife (who views driving as a chore not a pleasure) loves the car. Praise comes no higher.

Cheers,

Gaz

Thanks. Current thinking is a Gen1 Cooper S Supercharged upto 2006. Seems to be the best option from what I have worked out so far.
About 6 year ago I owned a “proper” Supercharged JCW (the post 2006/7 aren’t the JCW’s of old iirc) and it was fantastic - I absolutely loved it.

Recently had an Mini diesel and that was a great little car too, the interior on them are deceptively - one of my son’s rugby coaches is 6’6” and he’s owned his for two years...

Thanks all. Really useful.

Looks like an earlier pre 2006 SC Cooper S or JCW. Or spend a few.k more to get into a revised post 2010 Cooper S or JCW.

I'll get out there and drive both as hopefully one will pop out as the obvious choice.

Electric steering pumps, Clutches, Gearbox's and drivershafts all regular sellers

Mostly the early cars upto 2006 R50/52/53

Id also steer away from the dv6 1.6d engine in the 2006 onwards as it a carp unit which suffer nothing but turbo failure

Personally I’d go for an R56 as it’s a much nicer car to live with than the R53.

Avoid a car with the sport suspension option which, in conjunction with 17-inch runflats, is both bone-jarringly uncomfortable and makes the car unable to hold a line on anything other than smooth tarmac.

The LSD option is worthwhile if you can find a car with it, and be aware that spec in general varies enormously depending upon the imagination and depth of pockets of the original purchaser. Poverty spec cars are very plain and hard to move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Knew a guy who bought a supercharged Gen1 Cooper S new . He had previously had a succession of Porsche 911s and was looking for a "rawer" motoring experience. He sold it after 6 months saying his back couldnt stand the ride quality anymore-- "motorised skateboard" was his description iirc :eek:

I spend ages researching them and finally went for a test drive in an R53 Copper S. 100 yaards and two speedbumps later the dream was over.

Shame as i really wanted to want it but simply couldn't live with it in London.

Wife had a jcw conv. (2009) , all I can say is there's better alternatives. They're nice, but electrics can be iffy, ride is harsh, mpg for 1.6 silly and dont get me started on seals !.. Fun for a while, but not nice long term from our view.

I'm not up to speed with the model and engine codes. I had a 2009 Cooper S for a couple of weeks, a couple of years ago. From memory it was a very bumpy ride which could be blamed on the runflats and the engine just kept on wanting to rev.

Great little car for twisty roads but not much good for me any other time. I do like the look of them despite them no longer been a "mini" In another few generations they'll be the same size as an ML.

I've never had a Mini and thinking of getting one. Anyone had one or can offer any pointers to the best one to get?

Been doing a fair bit of research and seems the earlier supercharged cars pre 2006 are better and more raw than the later turbo motors.

Also that the JCW cars are quite pricey and not that much better than a Cooper S unless you go silly new and pricey.

Any thoughts, opinions and abuse welcome [emoji3]

Only one Mini for me and that is the proper Mini not one that calls itself Mini. I'm talking 60's 70's & 80's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom