Anyone had a TUI holiday cancelled? If so, any luck in getting a refund?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

moodi

Car
CLS55
We originally booked a holiday in June which has been cancelled due to the current world circumstances.

For all cancellations, TUI are offering a credit voucher in the first instance. This is not something we are interested in but it remains the default unless you call them to tell them otherwise (TUI's instructions). Problem is they are seemingly impossible to get hold of via phone (tried for over a week) and have no customer e-mail address or any other way of telling them "No thanks on the voucher, I just want the money back". They have also provided no communication on when 'cash' refunds will be fulfilled.

Paid by credit so I will likely pursue through my provider as a chargeback or section 75 claim. We also have travel insurance that will should the worst case scenario. From TUI's social media, there are a lot of folks upset by an inability to contact TUI and lack of communication. Some with cancelled holidays originally booked for March that have still not received a refund or clarity, 9+ weeks after planned departure.

Anybody else on here in a similar situation?

We originally booked a holiday in June which has been cancelled due to the current world circumstances.

For all cancellations, TUI are offering a credit voucher in the first instance. This is not something we are interested in but it remains the default unless you call them to tell them otherwise (TUI's instructions). Problem is they are seemingly impossible to get hold of via phone (tried for over a week) and have no customer e-mail address or any other way of telling them "No thanks on the voucher, I just want the money back". They have also provided no communication on when 'cash' refunds will be fulfilled.

Paid by credit so I will likely pursue through my provider as a chargeback or section 75 claim. We also have travel insurance that will should the worst case scenario. From TUI's social media, there are a lot of folks upset by an inability to contact TUI and lack of communication. Some with cancelled holidays originally booked for March that have still not received a refund or clarity, 9+ weeks after planned departure.

Anybody else on here in a similar situation?
Send a recorded delivery letter to their registered office , and require a response within 5 working days of posting ?

Obviously everyone has to make their own decisions but if everyone gets a refund the company will go bust.

The missus, who always books our holiday flights etc. Is having the same problem with Jet2
We had a package holiday to Malta cancelled in April.
We’ve a further booking with them to Lanzarote in October to attend a family wedding but we still want our money refunded from the Malta flight.

Have a look on Facebook to see if there are any groups relating to where you are going. There’ll be loads of help there and can be very good.

Reactions: 219
Obviously everyone has to make their own decisions but if everyone gets a refund the company will go bust.
Fair comment, but some of these companies are going bust anyway , in which case vouchers will be worthless.

Vouchers are still protected by atol so not worthless, one would get the money back if they went bust.
Surely that just spreads the cost elsewhere and starts to drag other companies down as well ?

Times are going to be hard for many .

Surely that just spreads the cost elsewhere and starts to drag other companies down as well ?

Have you ever heard of insurance?

Well yes and no, atol is an insurance already paid by the tour operator so no other companies to be dragged in but of course the money has to come from somewhere so yes you are completely right times are going to be tough for along over people and companies.

Reactions: 219
Yes, got a full refund from Tui to credit card, the original method of payment. Fortunately the CC company (M&S bank) agreed to transfer the money to my (non M&S) current account, as having several £000s credit on the CC wasn’t ideal for anyone!

The holiday was to be a Marella (owned by Tui) cruise to the Western Med - mainly Spain - starting 15th March, ie before UK lockdown. However, Tui had to cancel, as opposed to us choosing not to go, because a few days before we were due to go Spain banned cruise ships from all their ports.

The refund certainly wasn’t within the 14 days though, and interestingly, at the time lists were being published of how cruise companies were dealing with the situation generally, listing which cruises were affected, etc.

Marella were always conspicuous by their absence from these lists.

We had a holiday to turkey booked in august luckily for us we had only paid a £100 deposit as we were given the option to move our same holiday to 2021 but it would have cost almost double, but for that kinda money we could go to jamaica or thailand so opted just to lose the £100 which isint ideal but at least we are still in control of where we can go next year

Friends of mine had a holiday to Cuba cancelled for early May, they've been offered vouchers or cash with the proviso they also get an extra 10% off the list price of their next holiday if they take the vouchers.

Still waiting for a refund from Travelbag for a trip that was cancelled in mid March (travel was scheduled for end of April). Initially they communicated that they would issue credit notes and possibly be able to recover cash from suppliers but no idea when, if credit not not suitable. Eventually this changed to refunds will follow in due course if that’s what we wanted. As time has passed, we’ve even had a schedule for when to expect the refund. If it happens when promised, it’ll be 7 weeks after scheduled departure date, 12 weeks from when it was cancelled.

Did seat bookings direct with the airline, despite them cancelling the flights in early March, wasn't able to even begin the refund process until after the scheduled return flight date. Not expecting those any time soon either based of what I’ve seen online. They all seem to be running at about 90 days.

Was offered a re-booking, but at inflated prices and frankly, I really don’t see the holiday market getting back to anything like normal for some years. There are going to be pulses of this virus popping up all over the world with corresponding lockdowns at short notice.

In some ways, pissing and moaning about holiday refunds feels churlish when you look at what many are suffering. Lets face it, we could afford a couple of weeks in the sun, we can afford to lose it. Doesn't mean it’s right for businesses to take our money and not deliver though, even though it’s not their fault.

And yes, I do appreciated that there are going to be folk that booked holidays on credit assuming their wages would pay for it later...and now they don’t have jobs, so really do need the refunds.

I wonder if this might make the travel agents/operators reconsider their business model though?

Friends of mine had a holiday to Cuba cancelled for early May, they've been offered vouchers or cash with the proviso they also get an extra 10% off the list price of their next holiday if they take the vouchers.

The travel industry seem to be skirting round the law somewhat. A replacement holiday isn’t supposed to coast a penny more regardless of how mcuh more the ticket price is, and if you accept a cheaper alternative, you’re supposed to get a cash refund. Not the terms I was offered. Didn’t get any incentive to accept a credit at all.

^^ Agreed, That Simon Calder travel expert who seems to pop up everywhere on TV/Radio etc and Martin Lewis , the money bloke both seem 100% agreed that if the company you have booked your package deal with cancels it they must give you your money back...all of it. There is no grey area......but the waters are being muddied by the companies themselves.

I (thankfully) am not in a holiday 'let down' position but a friend of mine is and because her and her boyfriend chose to join in with a family get together (in Spain) after everyone else had booked they did the whole thing through numerous airlines/hotels/taxi companies using different credit and debit cards along the way. Needless to say chasing refunds has been such a hassle for them that they have just given up.

SAGA cancelled our summer holiday and asked if we would like a refund or postpone to next year. We opted to postpone, when it came to choosing the holiday there wasn't an equivalent so they offered a similar version with extra excursions costing approx £1500 more, when I hesitated they said they would cover the extra cost and added £200 each spending money!
Looking forward to it already 😊

I was booked and fully paid to go skiing in mid March with Crystal Ski who are TUI. They cancelled the holiday two days before departure date. I got emails and phone calls from them on those days and a full refund early the next week. I was disappointed to miss my holiday but very happy with Crystal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom