Anyone had a TUI holiday cancelled? If so, any luck in getting a refund?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
SAGA cancelled our summer holiday and asked if we would like a refund or postpone to next year. We opted to postpone, when it came to choosing the holiday there wasn't an equivalent so they offered a similar version with extra excursions costing approx £1500 more, when I hesitated they said they would cover the extra cost and added £200 each spending money!
Looking forward to it already 😊
I was booked and fully paid to go skiing in mid March with Crystal Ski who are TUI. They cancelled the holiday two days before departure date. I got emails and phone calls from them on those days and a full refund early the next week. I was disappointed to miss my holiday but very happy with Crystal.

Couple of exemplary cases there, just how it’s supposed to be.

I get why they are doing it of course, but ABTA are making things much worse for consumers with their ‘suggestions’. The law trumps any trade body of course, but you’d be forgiven for thinking otherwise at times.

The travel industry seem to be skirting round the law somewhat. A replacement holiday isn’t supposed to coast a penny more regardless of how much more the ticket price is,

Interesting. My niece had booked TUI for her honeymoon for June which of course will be cancelled. Wedding re-booked for June next year but the replacement honeymoon is now more expensive. Compounded by the fact that her son will be one year older (over 2) so he would now be chargeable. Does what you say about the replacement holiday cost still apply? Cheers

They will literally shit themselves. :rolleyes:

Since the County Courts are in furlough there isn't much to threaten them with.
You can hope that they don't defend the MCOL, but even if that provides a favourable outcome who is going to go and fetch your outstanding monies, as the courts don't seem to be instructing Bailiffs?

Tui ignored my letters about compensation for a delayed flight, so I took things further.

They ignored a County Court summons... they ignored a County Court Judgement.

They finally paid when I sent Bailiffs to Luton Airport!

Interesting. My niece had booked TUI for her honeymoon for June which of course will be cancelled. Wedding re-booked for June next year but the replacement honeymoon is now more expensive. Compounded by the fact that her son will be one year older (over 2) so he would now be chargeable. Does what you say about the replacement holiday cost still apply? Cheers

Which put it plainly:

I doubt that the extra costs of taking an over 2 year old will be covered though, but that’s just my basic cynicism, not any legal knowledge! These rules tend not to cover consequentials.

As others have said, even having the law on your side is of somewhat limited value if the other party don’t want to play ball, particularly at the moment given just how many folk are wanting their refunds. It’s the main reason I’m waiting to see if I get my refunds even though they will be very much later than the law demands - thankfully it isn’t causing me any hardship to wait and I’d rather do without the agro of fighting for my rights at this stage. Which point I am sure most of the operators are very much relying on. One thing that is really boiling my piss is the fact that every email they send ‘thanks me for my patience’. Somewhat presumptious I feel as I am not in the least bit patient, just being pragmatic.

To be clear, I do have some sympathy with the operators, but not so much I’m willing to let them use my money to prop up their business. They shouldn’t be using my money to pay for a holiday someone else is taking I don’t think.

Last edited by a moderator:
We managed to miss all this mayhem,SWMBO is the one who finds and books hoildays,and she was on the track of a cruise starting in the carribean and finishing in in Italy and TUI kept putting the cost down,but she decided at the last minute not to book,just as well with all the cruise ships being floating virus gaols,she is not even looking now doubt we will go away until late next year

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom